Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 280 total)
  • Birmingham "Street"/"Urban" ride
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve always liked the canal ride from down from Gas Street basin to Salford Junction, there’s quite a few locks that you can get air off by riding off the edge of them and back onto the towpath.

swingbing
    Free Member

there’s quite a few locks that you can get air off by riding off the edge of them and back onto the towpath

Did this the other week, got to a lock just as it was being shut by an unsuspecting boater. The lock arm being out the way allowed a quite decent size drop off back onto the tow path 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

The question is. Is anybody brave enough to ride across the top of a closed lock?

I remember an MBUK years ago where a pair of brothers riding Pashley trials bikes were hopping over the lock. Bloody loons!

composite
    Free Member

No… and I’m not fishing anyone out either. 😛 😆 😛

composite
    Free Member

disco_stu – Member

I’ve always liked the canal ride from down from Gas Street basin to Salford Junction, there’s quite a few locks that you can get air off by riding off the edge of them and back onto the towpath.

Is that the section up towards Spaghetti junction where the locks are like a massive set of rollers?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Its the bit from Gas Street/Brindley Place down towards the Aston Triangle, its a nice downhill as its a series of locks with lots of opportunites getting a bit of air.

composite
    Free Member

I’m not going to make it tomorrow so it will be the 15th for me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ok then who is on for the 15th at 7:30? We will have to meet somewhere away from the German market so its easy to recognise fellow idiots. Centenary Square maybe? Or the Bull Ring Bull?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m easy for where to meet… Defo in for the 15th can’t do tonight the ramp is open still.

lunge

Yep, I’m in for the 15th. The market extended up to centenary square last year so meeting at the bull may be a better bet

I_Ache
    Free Member

rizla I’m getting the train so could meet you on that. Whats your nearest station?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ll drive in dude. I live the on a different train line to you. I can park at millennium point for free so I’ll prolly do that.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Sorry mate memory failure.

passtherizla
    Free Member

anyone go? find anything new?

swingbing
    Free Member

I am gonna have to bow out of this next week. Just discovered a crack in the chainstay of my soul. Probably from doing to much of this sort of thing!

I_Ache – Will you be taking your BFe? I’m thinking of getting one to replace the Soul, but downsizing to a medium. Be amazing if I could have a sit on yours to see if I reckon it’s do-able…? (Cheeky I know)

mattk
    Free Member

Serious question, I like the sound of an urban ride but do you lot ride trials? as I can manage stairs and smallish drops, and never done an escalator but I’ll give it a go, but that’s the limit of my skills.

Oh, and can I come? 🙂

swingbing
    Free Member

I rode a bit of trials when I was younger, but I never got that good. These days I mostly enjoy bombing down stairs, smallish drops etc. All abilities are welcome I’m sure.

lunge

mattk, my abilities are similar to yours, a can do s few drops and a bunny hop or 2 but am not any kind of trials rider. Any hoppy stuff is well beyond me!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Swingbing I wasn’t planing on taking it because I’m still recovering from a broken leg/ankle and I think the stairs will be too much for it. If you live anywhere near Sutton Coldfield you are welcome to have a go on a Sutton park ride.

Mattk as far as I am concerned trials are a dark art, just bombing down stairs and doing drops off walls and finding little things to jump is my aim of the night. I’m scared shitless at the thought of riding down the mailbox escalators but if others clear it I will try.

Also in my eyes everybody is welcome, the more the merrier.

sam69
    Free Member

WHAT sort/type of bikes do you use for this sort of thing?

rickmeister

I cant come on this being in Edinburgh but its got my interest… couldnt see any pics or vid of the Brum Mailbox on facetube… got any pictures of the escalators out of interest…

sam69
    Free Member

any photos of the bikes you use for this type of rideing please

swingbing
    Free Member

you are welcome to have a go on a Sutton park ride

That would be great, I live in Birmingham itself but have ridden sutton park a couple of times. Don’t have a working bike at the moment though so no actual riding for me until further notice! If you’re willing to meet up just to let me try the bike for size I’ll gladly buy you a pint or two for your troubles!

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my On One 456 cos my meta has a broken derailer… pretty safe to assume I’ll not be riding any escalators, pretty sure the bike can do it, not sure if I can make it do that though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I will be riding my Spesh Enduro because of the aforementioned skeletal issue, I think a hardtail would be the best bet tho.

I will try and get a pic of it, not sure if I can on my phone.

Swingbing what do you suggest?

I_Ache
    Free Member

This is what I’m using.

P1000889

mattk
    Free Member

I’ll be using my rigid genesis io, as it’s my only working mtb at the moment.

Jumping its great, but stairs have to be riden a bit slower.

I’d bring my bmx, but you’d all be expecting gnarr skills that I just don’t have!

swingbing
    Free Member

I_Ache Meet up where ever is easiest for you, I take it you’re close to Sutton Coldfield? Maybe Wednesday evening?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can’t do Wednesday I’m afraid. How about Saturday evening at around 7:30 either at the park house in Sutton park or at my local, the crown on Walsall road?

swingbing
    Free Member

I’m supposed to be in Leicester all next weekend unfortunately. I’ll see if I can get back to Brum for the Saturday evening and let you know.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m sure we can sort something out. To save clogging up this thread my email is in my profile.

lunge

Getting back on track, I have just got the bike running nicely and am now a bit excited. I’ll be the tall bloke in his 30’s on a Planet-X Jack Flash who can’t jump!

lunge

I can also be Identified by my stupid Movember tash.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’ve not seen a jack flash for years. You don’t have a leopard skin paint job on it do you?

passtherizla
    Free Member

leopard skin you say…. awesome.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I used to ride, in sutton park, with a guy that still has a leopard skin jack flask. Those frames are built like tanks.

lunge

Plain black I’m afraid, some of the most hardwaring paint I’ve ever encountered. It’s a somewhat interesting build but I think it will be pretty damn good for some street fun. just debating whether to put done DH tubes in.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Stick DH tubes in if your planning on really hitting things.

so who is going then? Meet time is 7:30 at the bull ring bull on Thursday 15th. Let’s get some numbers and bike descriptions so we don’t leave anybody behind.

so far we have.

I_Ache Silver Enduro
    Passtherizla 456
    Lunge black jack flash
    Mattk genesis io rigid

who else is coming?

shindiggy
    Free Member

i’m 90% there, will let you know if I can’t make it this Thursday

Black On one C456.

lunge

Hmm, should I be concerned that everyone else’s bike can be pedalled a reasonable distance if needed? I’m a 6’4″ bloke in a 15″ frame, I’m going no where fast!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Birmingham "Street"/"Urban" ride’ is closed to new replies.