• This topic has 188 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)
  • biking scum at Gisburn
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

wondering why I don’t see more Asian folk out on bicycles

Apparently there are nine million of them in Beijing.

zippykona

Cycling is regarded by some communities as what you do when you can’t afford a car.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s an interesting quandry actually:

Would I physically attack the bigot in question? No.

Would I encourage someone else to physically attack him? No.

Would I be unhappy if he did happen to get filled in? No.

I guess I’m someone who likes other people to do his fighting for him. Wrong, but right?

chakaping
    Free Member

Is it just me that feels a bit uneasy seeing white men telling the OP how he and his pals should react to this?

zippykona

Yes, so far.

fisha
    Free Member

Is it just me that feels a bit uneasy seeing white men telling the OP how he and his pals should react to this?

I don’t understand what you’re getting at with that.

Are you implying that advice should only be given by people who are from a similar ethnic group as the person asking for the advice?

dannyh
    Free Member

“Is it just me that feels a bit uneasy seeing white men telling the OP how he and his pals should react to this? “

Yep.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Ridden gisburn about a dozen times and happy to say I have never encountered any racism.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

You’re assuming we’re all white?

Anyway, really don’t see what this has to do with anything. Advice is being given on the best way forward within the law to deal with this abuse, it could be any form of verbal abuse, it just so happens its racial in this instance.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m from Scotland.

I’m pale blue. It takes us two weeks of tropical sunshine to get white.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t understand what you’re getting at with that.

Privilege.

No, assuming most are though.

dannyh
    Free Member

The OP didn’t specify anything about white guys not being able to comment as far as I recall……… he seems pretty relaxed about it – the question is why aren’t you?

pitduck
    Free Member

“Privilege” yours is revoked. 🙄

adsbatts89
    Free Member

i agree very strange opinion…would it be more acceptable to inform the police of racist abuse only for them to say “suck it up princess and move on”?

No, my point was that if something did come of it then there are bigger implications regarding lack of free speech. The idiot who made those comments obviously seems to be very angry/ignorant/stupid and racist abuse shouldn’t be condoned but punishing someone for hurtful comments sets a dangerous precedent and could lead to thousands of teenage internet trolls being arrested just because someone doesn’t like being offended.

I do appreciate it must be intimidating to have comments like that directed at you though.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

There is a difference between free speech and just being plain vile and abusive. With every right comes a responsibility.

And why should the internet be any different from doing it face to face? The repercussion of the abuse can be awful. People should learn they cannot abuse people on the internet just because the person they are abusing cannot see them or hear them.

gonzy
    Free Member

Saw an Asian chap on a nice road bike the other day – full roadie get up etc, plus big hipster style beard – firstly the beard made me wonder about his aerodynamic profile ( :lol:) then I got to sadly wondering why I don’t see more Asian folk out on bicycles in this area, given that there is around 30% Asian population.
    Sadly realised that cycling of all types is a mainly white,male,middle aged pastime still.

if you were anywhere near Bradistan…then theres a good chance it was one of my guys 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

Saw an Asian chap on a nice road bike the other day – full roadie get up etc, plus big hipster style beard

Rad to the power of Sikh? 😉

Any update gonzy? Were Dibble interested in your concerns?

nbt

*MUCH APPLAUSE*

gonzy
    Free Member

No, my point was that if something did come of it then there are bigger implications regarding lack of free speech.

so does that mean nothing should be said about his comments as they are deemed as free speech?

The idiot who made those comments obviously seems to be very angry/ignorant/stupid and racist abuse shouldn’t be condoned but punishing someone for hurtful comments sets a dangerous precedent and could lead to thousands of teenage internet trolls being arrested just because someone doesn’t like being offended.

if the comments break the law then yes they should be punished. would what this guy said online be any different if he said it to my face or sent it to me in a personal email/text?
    im sorry but racism is racism. and the last time i checked i’m pretty sure the law stated that it was also against the law.
    it doesnt matter if the guy put it online, or if he said to someones face or even spray painted it on some property…its still classed as race hate crime and therefore punishable
    sounds to me you’re trying to class it as “just one of those things” and telling me to “suck it up princess and move on”….are you one of his mates??

I do appreciate it must be intimidating to have comments like that directed at you though.[/quote]
    i’ll just put the record straight on this….neither me or my friends are or will ever feel intimidated by people like him
    sure some of my friends wouldnt also say boo to a goose. these very same guys are now a bit more apprehensive and reluctant to go out to places like gisburn but its not out pof any fear…they just dont want the aggro

the rest of us on the other hand dont feel like them but that doesent mean that we’ll now be on the warpath looking out for him…we couldnt give 2 shits about him TBH…but if we did meet him and he tried to get in our faces…then he’d get his face rearranged

bails

The idiot who made those comments obviously seems to be very angry/ignorant/stupid and racist abuse shouldn’t be condoned but punishing someone for hurtful comments sets a dangerous precedent and could lead to thousands of teenage internet trolls being arrested just because someone doesn’t like being offended.

There’s a plain difference between saying something bigoted/closed minded/intolerant and making direct threats of violence. “If I see you at [place where you go], I’m going to stomp your face into the ground” is a world away from “These XXXXX should all go back where they came from”.

I imagine, perhaps wrongly, that the person saying “he’s just a troll, you shouldn’t go to the police about it” is white. And that’s where
    chakapings comment of

comes from.

I’ve had someone look me up and down, then move his bag away from me and an asian mate and say “sorry, I was just brought up not to trust people like you”. That’s clearly not a police matter, it’s just an ignorant f**kwit, but the stuff in the OP is much worse and IMO crosses into criminal territory.

gonzy
    Free Member

no updates to report of yet Perchy

lalazar
    Free Member

Sad to hear but not suprising as there’s plenty of bigots , wind up merchants and General ar/::£&les patrolling the net.
    I’ve been into mountain biking for about fifteen years am of Pakistani heritage and a Muslim complete with foot long beard and have rode every major trail centre in the UK . I’ve always found folk from the MTB community to be really decent and have never faced any animosity or prejudice whilst out riding so hopefully this is a one off. In truth it’s the sport that binds us together that’s the common ground not who you are or what you look like.
    Maybe Dean wasn’t that high and needs to get some new supply might calm him down a tad.

gonzy
    Free Member

Sad to hear but not suprising as there’s plenty of bigots , wind up merchants and General ar/::£&les patrolling the net.
    I’ve been into mountain biking for about fifteen years am of Pakistani heritage and a Muslim complete with foot long beard and have rode every major trail centre in the UK . I’ve always found folk from the MTB community to be really decent and have never faced any animosity or prejudice whilst out riding so hopefully this is a one off. In truth it’s the sport that binds us together that’s the common ground not who you are or what you look like.
    Maybe Dean wasn’t that high and needs to get some new supply might calm him down a tad.

i agree
    i’ve been riding for 26 years and never encountered any prejudice racial or otherwise. yes the web makes it so much easier to come across scumbags like this guy and for them to spout their racial hatred online for all to see.
    if the abuse was him calling us “p**i faggots” etc then we would have just ignored it…but when he threatened us with actual physical violence my curiosity got the better of me.
    for him to make such a threat i knew he had to have been there at least once…even though his youtube profile gave the impression he was some inbred redneck in the USA. with the help of some STW users i managed to find the clues i needed to do a full trace on him and prove my theory that he is in fact a regular there and to some of our other regular riding spots.
    we’re not going to stop riding on account of an asshat like him and his warped beliefs.
    the vast majority of MTB riders out there are good honest decent folk and i dont want this idiot to be associated with them.

I’ve been into mountain biking for about fifteen years am of Pakistani heritage and a Muslim complete with foot long beard and have rode every major trail centre in the UK

want to join our group?

clodhopper
    Free Member

Hope this all gets sorted out properly, Gonzy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

want to join our group?

I can bring halal cake 8)

gonzy
    Free Member

JY – we welcome riders of all faiths and nationalities to our group…bringing halal cake will make you very popular though
    you’re more than welcome to join us on a ride whenever you want

p.s.
    the charity bike ride will definitely go ahead this summer after ramadan. there seems to be more commitment from the group.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye keep me in mind

I don’t tend to ride trail centres[ once very two years or so*] but feel free to drop me a line next time you are going

Yes still up for the charity ride as well

* don’t hate them either.

gonzy
    Free Member

Yes still up for the charity ride as well

only taken us 2 years to finally get it to the planning stage…probably take us another 2 years to plan it and then another 2 to execute it 😆
    but most likely will be the mary townley loop.

lalazar
    Free Member

Mail in profile gonzy send us some details.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I can see a ‘united mountain bikers against that sort of thing’ ride coming along.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can bring halal cake

[ignorant question or possibly missed sarcasm] how is cake halal, there’s nothing dead in it? [/ignorant question or possibly missed sarcasm]

the charity bike ride will definitely go ahead this summer after ramadan.

Surely that just makes for an even better excuse for a night ride + cake? 🙂

khani
    Free Member

how is cake halal, there’s nothing dead in it?

cake.. its a veggy thing too..

bails

Lots of cakes have alcohol in them too. Guinness and chocolate is wonderful.

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on the ingredients but Muslims like vegans as they can eat everything we can eat – I also like the halal jellies especially the lurid colours 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stands to reason* I suppose (alcohol in extracts, non-vegan gelatin etc).

How do scholars deal with stuff like bread though?

Yeast is a living thing (although I can’t remember enough GCSE biology to say whether it’s a plant or animal), and is killed by baking, and it produces alcohol.

Fun fact: The Reinheitsgebot added yeast at a later date as when it was first written no one knew that yeast existed or how yeast worked, breweries just relied on the cultures in the vessels/barrels or on a stick to inoculate the next batch. So most historical beers were actually likely sour.

*in context, it’s still religion and/or veganism 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

last time I checked plants were living things till I cruelly devour them for my own needs…murderous bastard that I am 😈

Muslims can do what they want with yeast –except ferment it to make alcohol-that is haram

Gelatine is also fine depending on source

Sadly many of their jelly sweets are now certified as beef gelatine and are no longer vegan 🙁

gonzy
    Free Member

TINAS – as JY said the yeast is fine to use as long as it isnt fermented to make alcohol.
    but its not just sweets that need to be carefully checked…many other products that you would not suspect are now non-halal. certain flavour crisps, yoghurts and mousses that contain gelatine etc.
    every time we go shopping we end up checking the ingredients of items before they go in…even if we bought that same product before

Junkyard
    Free Member

I feel your pain I even have to do this with halal stuff though

Surprised all the Asian food shops were open today…not as much veg in as usual though.

danposs86

Any police update?

gonzy
    Free Member

my mate spoke to the local plod who didnt seem all that interested in pursuing it…even with all the overwhelming evidence put in front of them

he could and should have taken it further but decided he didnt have the time and energy to do that just yet…we will be passing it onto our other friends dad now to get his advice on it

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘biking scum at Gisburn’ is closed to new replies.