Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • bike stuff you resent spending money on
  • jekkyl

Junkyard – lazarus

9 quid odd for all day parking at whinlatter!!!

its free to park at the car park below it and the blue trail exist the car park to link up with the red ! Perhaps 1 milish of [ niceish but gnar free]riding through the forest – not sure as my kids are very slow

are you sure Junky? I was there in May and I drove down to 2 of the lower carparks and both had pay bollard things so it seemed you couldn’t escape the parking charges without parking at the bottom and cycling up that horror of a hill.

honourablegeorge

dangeourbrain – Member
    Another personal one – tubeless valves. How are they more expensive than a whole inner tube? (is it bad I cut the valves out of old innertubes and use those just fine?)

Stan#’s ones are expensive, but your local Specialized dealer should have Roval ones – they’re cheaper than a tube in my LBS

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Whinlatter is a free car park. I have a friend who lives there, the car parks are paid for via their council tax. This was agreed when the centre was opened. The charge at the centre is voluntary, you do not have to pay. Occasionaly you may get what appears to be a fine on your windscreen, it isn’t. It is a reminder that you could have paid.

When he visits he never pays, as he already has via his council tax. I was quite shocked when I heard this, but I pay the minimum when I visit, that way the centre gets something.

molgrips
    Free Member

I resent having to get my chain covered in shite, knowing that it’ll wear it out quickly and I’ll have to throw it away.

oldfart

£30 quid for a Camelbak bladder ??? Thankfully they honoured their lifetime guarantee on mine when it leaked after 2 years . Also does anybody ever buy their cleaning tablets somewhere around 8 quid how many bottles of Miltons will that buy ? Pretty much all of the above , my Reba’s were £275 2 years ago , had a damper replaced under warranty but won’t be paying 90?quid for a service thank you very much !

iamroughrider
    Free Member

sui
    pads

devash
    Free Member

Money is tight at the moment so I’m only buying things as and when they break.

DT78
    Free Member

Chain devices (back in the day….)

Tyres, I seem to get 4-5 rides before I tear a sidewall. Tried snakeskin. Still tore.

LBS costs. £35 to replace a busted spoke and retrue.

Servicing suspension parts costs more than my cars annual service

amedias
    Free Member

I don’t get the gripe about tyres?

There’s a great range from Spesh and Bonty in the 25 – 35 quid range and they’re tubeless ready, last well and perform great, or do you still see that as too steep? The basic non-tubeless ones are nearer 20 quid and still good.

Ivan understand resenting the 50/60 quid ones but you don’t have to buy them!

Likewise with chains, Deore and SLX chains are pretty damn cheap online and reliable and last well enough, or are you complaining about the cost of top end kit?

yunki
    Free Member

Just spent £60 summink on a new wheel for the utility bike after a split rim on the way home from nursery on Wednesday..

FOG

No , it is definitely tyres. I am always really shocked when they wear out, it must be because I am harking back to the days when tyres would last longer than chains and cassettes! They lasted but wouldn’t grip tarmac let alone dirt.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Tyres for me too, does no company make a single ply UST tyre that the sidewalls will survive more than a handful of rocky rides?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how you lot manage to rip sidewalls all the time. I’ve never ripped a sidewall* in 20 years of MTBing all over the world and I’m not hanging around. And spokes – I had one MTB wheel that broke spokes, it was clearly mis-built – and one road wheel. Other than those two – never.

* except for the time my brake block rubbed a hole in one

spev

35 quid to true a wheel? Jesus we only charge a tenner
    Contact lenses I get from DAYSOFT
    Previously used boots but these are just as good if not better

Tyres are expensive but that’s the only thing that I resent

chip
    Free Member

It costs £9 to admit one at the pictures now and cost me £4.40 for a pint of the black stuff in town this afternoon.
    I always pay for the full day at swinley car park despite not always staying for the duration.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Whats the gripe with £90 for a good fork service? What do you think a business needs to charge to work sucessfully? Perhaps each reply here should be followed by what you do for a living.

Dan
    Small business owner

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

£90 to service a fork, are you having a laugh 😯 surely it’s a fraction of that to do a basic one yourself given the number of videos there are showing you how to do it.

4 of those and you could buy a new bloody fork. I remember my last set of Pikes (the original ones) lasted for 3 years hard riding before I got them serviced and they didn’t blow up or stop working. I wish Rockshox still made them.

Northwind

ultimateweevil – Member

£90 to service a fork, are you having a laugh surely it’s a fraction of that to do a basic one yourself

Yup, but that’s not the same thing, £90 will be (hopefully) for a full service, damper seals etc- £20 odd quid’s worth of parts, plus fluid, even before you get into labour. Not to mention that it can pick up faults you didn’t know about before they’re a problem.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Hate paying for any kind of security products.

No real need for them here but sods law what will happen if I don’t.

Decent money which could be spent on something else.

chip
    Free Member

£90 pays for parts, contributes to the wages of everyone who works there, from the person who does the servicing to the person who answers the phone.

Then there is the overheads from rent on the property to hobnobs for the tea break to paying for the bog roll in the staff karzy.

All has to be paid for.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Bottom brackets, inner tubes, overpriced sram cassettes, overpriced sram rear mechs.

wallop

Lube, grease & oil.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Bike cover on my household insurance. Because some people can’t keep their hands off other people’s stuff and insurance companies capitalise on that concern.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Parking at trail centres and decent bike clothing.

jools182
    Free Member

Pretty much everything bike related is overpriced

The things that annoy the most are tyres (my toyo proxes car tyres were the same price as most mtb tyres)

Lycra clothing, must cost about a fiver to make tops/bib shorts

Saddles £70-100+ for something mass produced and made mostly from plastic

I know, R&D, wages, distribution, marketing etc…

matther01
    Free Member

I resent that to have a good 1×10 set up I need an expander sprocket costing £50. Shimano pull you finger out and give me an all in one 11-40 or 11-42 for around £50!!!

kayak23

Chain lube- so I use chainsaw oil.
    Muc off- so I use citrus degreaser
    Bike specific disc cleaner- so I use stuff from Toolstation for a quarter the price.
    Silicon spray- Toolstation again, quarter the price of bike shop stuff.

New rims for mates bikes when they are foolish enough to lend their bike to me..
    😐

ton

nothing at all really. i buy good quality stuff that lasts. i stay away from fashionable stuff, ie enduro stuff for example, and the latest gearing rip off stuff.
    some older mtb stuff is perfect for long term use.

deore mechs/cassettes/shifters lasts forever. 4500 miles on my current set up. cost not much over £100 for the full set up.

vittoria touring tyres from on one £7.99 i bought 6.

new 20ltr rucksack and 2 ltr bladder from decathlon £16. why spend £100 on a camleback or owt fancy.

shimano am45 shoes £45 from germany. they last years

just use common sense and dont follow the sheep………baaaah 😀

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

ton – Member
    nothing at all really. i buy good quality stuff that lasts. i stay away from fashionable stuff, ie enduro stuff for example, and the latest gearing rip off stuff.
    some older mtb stuff is perfect for long term use.

deore mechs/cassettes/shifters lasts forever. 4500 miles on my current set up. cost not much over £100 for the full set up.

vittoria touring tyres from on one £7.99 i bought 6.

new 20ltr rucksack and 2 ltr bladder from decathlon £16. why spend £100 on a camleback or owt fancy.

shimano am45 shoes £45 from germany. they last years

just use common sense and dont follow the sheep………baaaah

Ton – how many bikes you had in the last 10 years out of interest?

breadcrumb

Whinlatter is a free car park. I have a friend who lives there, the car parks are paid for via their council tax. This was agreed when the centre was opened. The charge at the centre is voluntary, you do not have to pay. Occasionaly you may get what appears to be a fine on your windscreen, it isn’t. It is a reminder that you could have paid.

When he visits he never pays, as he already has via his council tax. I was quite shocked when I heard this, but I pay the minimum when I visit, that way the centre gets something.

I never knew that, I’ve always just stuck an hour on anyways.

Tyre prices take the piss when compared to car tyre prices. Dropper posts seem expensive for what they are too.

ton

Ton – how many bikes you had in the last 10 years out of interest?

far too many, but in my defence, i have built most of them on a tight budget. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Most of it!

Tales of a MTB numpty – after many, many years riding in the same bontrager tires and wondering what had happened to the grip, Jambalaya (of this parish) pointed out that they were basically worn out. So innocent little me, goes to wiggle and orders some nobby nics. Blimey, £30 or so, that’s a lot.

Excited when the package arrived and opened it up – where’s the other one??? Checked the package carefully, no just the one. £60 for two, bold hell!!!!!! Wake up call to the cost of MTBing for. Numpty!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

far too many, but in my defence, i have built most of them on a tight budget.

Fair enough then 😀

sr0093193
    Free Member

breadcrumb – Member

I never knew that

Probably because its a load of rubbish.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Press fit BB’s. Utter utter shite.

edlong
    Free Member

For those resenting paying to park at trail centres, how do think they should generate income?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for tyres here. There seems to be an awful lot of tyres with £50/60 rrp’s these days, so I tend to buy my Schawbles from Germany. As much as I like them I can’t bring myself to pay UK prices for them.

Clothing is ridiculous to, so I only ever buy in the sales. £80 for some shorts? No thanks. Jackets are even worse; I’m sure a good jacket is really good at being waterproof and breathing, but I’d be pretty hacked off if I crashed and totalled a posh Gore jacket.

Hydro packs have gone up a lot too. There seem to be an awful lot at £100 or so without a bladder. And then there’s Acre. Is anyone really going to pay that much for a pack that’s going to get sweaty and covered in crud? Madness.

Forks are silly expensive; second hand all the way for me. It’s all Fox’s fault too. When they bought out the original 36 most top end forks were about the £500 mark but the were £750 or so and sold. Suddenly it seemed like the manufacturers cottoned on and prices started to escalate.

But drivetrain stuff is pretty cheap these days….£40 fir a Zee mech doesn’t seem too bad, admittedly that is from the likes of CRC.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Rim brake rims. I keep the work/commuter bike pretty clean but on the other hand loaded up with clothes and varoius worky bits and food it weighs far more than my downhill bike, and does well over half my yearly milage and climbing/descending like this in all weathers, i suppose i ought to expect them to wear out every so often.

But somehow i still resent £20 to replace a worn out rim more than i resent the effort of rebuilding it (and/or what it would cost me to get a shop to do it). Funny really since £20 on other bike stuff that last fewer miles (drivetrain, brake pads, knobbly tyres for other bikes etc) seems ok value to me.

Also +1 for shimano spd cleats, and now t’wife and i have had roadie pedals for a couple of years i notice the same price/materials/workmanship anomaly with look branded cleats too. And as above, flat pedals look terrible value when compared with complexity and details on same price clipless ones.

pedlad

It’s when the price is disproportionate to the technology that it narks me. How can a rear mech be only £40-70 when Brake pads are £25 for oem. I know you can get cheaper mind. Stans fluid and replacement hope bearings Re also vastly overpriced for what they are. Off topic I have similar issues with sofas……it’s a simple wooden frame plus springs padding and material. How can that be 000,s ffs.

MrNero50
    Free Member

I resent buying helitape to prevent cable rub. I know I shouldn’t and it’s only a few quid. But surely with all the advances in technology why do bikes still suffer from cable rub?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘bike stuff you resent spending money on’ is closed to new replies.