Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Bike stuff which is just other stuff.
  • Northwind

akefacesmallblock – Member

I can’t help but think that the whol silicon, juice or whatever fork spray thing, is just daft and another nicely marketed tin of stuff to sell us. Most seals don’t like stuff like this in the long run

FWIW Chris Streeter from Enduro seals says:

“Regarding what lubes to use on the stanchions, I’d start by saying any lubes used inside a fork don’t do well on the outside. They usually attract dust in all the wrong places. Even lubes meant for the outside, if in spray form, have to be applied carefully so that overspray doesn’t “lube” the brakes or attract dirt to other parts of the bike. Some sprays also use different “carriers,” so a “silicone spray” may not be 100% silicone and the additives may affect the wiper material. For this reason, I think it’s best to use something designed specifically for the job. “

I’m not an Enduro fan fwiw but he’s the only industry dude I could find stating an opinion. Brunox claim their fork spray is Rockshox approved but I’ve not been able to verify that.

molgrips
    Free Member

An old fashioned foot pump is just as fast as a track pump

Not in my experience…

austin
    Free Member

Bit of a niche one but synthetic EP75 gear oil works well in alfine hubs – £9.00 a litre vs £9 for 50ml . . .

andybrad

I read some time ago an interview with the guy from jucy lubes. When asked what was special about their product be said nothing. They just put a lot more silicone in the can than anyone else. That makes it better and they charge for that.

FOG

Agree with molgrips , I actually use the track pump to keep a slow puncture on the car topped up – much quicker than the metal bodied foot pump.

robj20
    Free Member

Instead of fork juice whats wrong with a dropper with silicone oil in it.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

+ 1 for Screwfix Bolle safety glasses – £10 a pair, tinted and impact rated, even come with pouch

^ I use these also, very light and strong, I managed to get them for around #7 delivered from Amazon, I prefer them to other proper biking glasses I’ve used.

Dibbs
    Free Member

5 Pairs of M&S Freshfeet™ Cotton Rich Assorted Sports Socks with Silver Technology £12.
    Why pay more for one pair with a fancy brand name.

benpinnick

akefacesmallblock – Member
    I can’t help but think that the whol silicon, juice or whatever fork spray thing, is just daft and another nicely marketed tin of stuff to sell us. Most seals don’t like stuff like this in the long run

I’ve never had an issue with any silcon based lube and seals in many years of using it, even the cheapest £2 cans. Having said that I do change the seals every few years so maybe its never had time to destroy them. Fork oil on the other hand has little lubricating properties, and attracts dirt to the stanchion and into the oil inside. Gear oil (Float fluid etc.) is much a better lubricant if you want ultimate uppy downy performance, but even worse for crud collection. I prefer to use the silicon regularly and service my forks every now and again.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you can’t work silcone spray from a can – use one of thos instant shine shoe sponges – no propellant or solvent to worry about.

benkitcher
    Free Member

I like the silicon spray suggestions – I’ll use that on my frame some some she-ine 😀

Lots of car cleaning people recommend Bilt Hamber Surfex HD for degreasing. I use it on chains etc and it’s very good stuff. You can use it on car panels etc too for clearing off tree sap and bugs etc, and is water based so safe to wash down the drain. Use 2:1 with water, so 10L for £15;

http://www.bilthamber.com/surfex-hd

I buy WD40 in 5L cans from Cromwell. It comes with a ~500ml pump spray bottle which is much better than the aerosol. Not strictly bike related – I use this as a machining lubricant for aluminium (MQL, if you will);

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/WDF7322505B

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Bike stuff which is just other stuff.’ is closed to new replies.