Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Bike storage solutions…..
  • DrP

In the process of kitting my garage out to store 5-7 bikes plus a tandem (loooong), and was considering going down the wall mounted/hanging route for maximum use of space.

Anyone any suggestions of safe, sturdy, and reasonably priced 'hooks'?
    I like the look of these:

But at 12 quid a pop ain't cheap.

My other question is this – does the rear wheel need to be touching the floor, or can the whole bike hang from the hook? That way I can stagger the heights to fit the bikes closer together…

Also, has anyone any experience with the Ikea Broder storage system:

Looks like a nice modulated 'clip on' shelf system, but would be good to have first hand experience. Or, any alternatives if experience with those…

Ta muchly

DrP

simon_g

I think on-one are doing the same hooks quite a bit cheaper than that.

tinsy
    Free Member

I bought some hangars to go on the ceiling with pulleys to hoist the bike up from Lidl I think they were £6 a pack….

Also just check out storage hooks at B&Q, got a few to choose from.

If only I had enough money to build the super shed I bought them for, maybe I would still have my bike and the wifes bike.. sadly now on the missing list.

Stoner
    Free Member

On-One now sold out of the mountainbike sized hangers.

I use them (similar) in here

That Ikea thing looks like standard shelving rails to me.

check out http://www.bigdug.co.uk/ for storage systems too.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i just got one the other day from here:

bike care
    near the top.

it wasn't very much money, and does the trick for what it is. and yeah, you hang the whole bike off the ground.

edit – i meant the blue hook that's about a fiver. it does the job, you don't need the protector plate bit if it's just a garage/shed wall

petrieboy

my garage is kitted out with the Ikea stuff mentioned. its very tough stuff and very secure. i've not got bikes on it, just shelves but theres lots of very heavy stuff on them and they have not fallen down yet!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Have you moved in then DrP?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it's shelving you need, go to http://www.bigdug.co.uk/

Their budget shelving is astonishingy strong, and the service is really good too/

Stoner
    Free Member

If it's shelving you need, go to http://www.bigdug.co.uk/

ahem ^^^^^

🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

got one of these cheap boot racks and wasn't using it (Halfrauds). I bolted it high up on the wall and I can hang 3 bikes on it!

MrOvershoot

On-One now sold out of the mountainbike sized hangers.

Sorry that might be my fault, I bought 10 😳

DrP

Curse you!!!

Oh well!

Rich – have the keys and own the place, but have no idea when we're gonna move in! At this moment in time it's our 'coastal house'…..

Really should set a date, but am working every blooming weekend up till the end of the month, and have an exam to revise for!

Rest assured, we'll have a home warming party sometime in August!

DrP

GW
    Free Member

stoner, do you have to straighten the bars on ever bike each time you take it for a ride?
    seems like a right PITA, couldn't you have simply staggered the heights or hung half of them from the rear wheel. that's a hell of a tidy shed though 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

its not like that any more.

Now just 4 bikes hang in the shed with bars in normal position.

No room for staggered heights as you can see.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've just bought 5 Delta Leonardo from UKbikestore for £9 each. A little cheaper and a lot better looking.

Stoner, how did you get the angle on your set up? Looks like it save a bit of space rather than just being perpendicular to the wall.

DrP

I think it seems to be angled pieces of wood…. a neat trick i think I may copy!

Those delta leonardos do look good don't they.

DrP

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Tesco does bike hooks in the bike spares and rucsacs section that hang from the ceiling. Either £1.50 for two or £3 for two, I can't remember.

druidh
    Free Member

Cheap, plastic-coated hooks (from B&Q IIRC).

coastkid
    Free Member

heavy duty hooks from screw fix cheap as,strong as,big enough for DH tyres

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp77/coastkid71/016-1.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5D

DrP

All looking very good!
    The issue I have is they have to mount to the brick wall, ergo the cheaper alternatives (i.e one that are essentially big hooks on a screw) may well function very well, but I wouldn't be able to wall mount them!

I've ordered 6 of the delta leonardo ones…

At 9 quid a pop not the cheapest, but look like a nice option!

Will also seek out some 'angled wood' to mount them at about 60 degrees rather than the expected 90!

DrP

Ambrose
    Stoner
    Free Member

Onza – as DrP says, angled wood blocks.
    Meant that the bikes didnt take up all the space in the shed – opposite them is my workbench.

DrP

Might get one of those hanging hooks for the tandem! Perhaps hang it above the workbench??!

DrP

coastkid
    Free Member

you could fix CLS to brick with hammer fixings then add hooks or hang the hooks vertical from cls lenghts secured between roof beams like i did in the pic i posted,

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Ah i was wondering today how to fit loads of bikes in a little shed. that angled hooks look like a winner thanks Stoner.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Now the really big question. What's the best angle for the wooden blocks?

DrP

I'm gonna set the jigsaw at 57 degrees….
    I think we've set a new low in the "what **** for ****" style question!

DrP

Onzadog
    Free Member

Now there's an idea. What angle for 5 bikes in a 3m x 5m garage!

Anyone good with spreadsheets?

mugsys_m8

I think Coastkid has come up with the best point, although not sure what CLS is. I would just fix battens on the wall, and then you can add hooks, screws etc whatever as the need arises for more storage solutions.

MrOvershoot

Hmmm at first I thought the angled hooks might work for my garage, but even tilted at 45deg the bars project as as far out into the room as they do when its at 90deg.
    That & it makes it harder to get them back out as the bars seem to tangle up more 😕

jond
    Free Member

I came close to buying one of these:
    http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/Racks/wall_storage.html

– it's one of their towbar racks, but with a wall mount which you can swap out for the towbar mount, or vice versa. Looks pretty damn solid.

Fortunately/unfortunately a bike shop local to work closed about the time I was looking, so I picked up a couple of the Ultimate Support display stands (2 bikes per side) for 50 quid each – they're normally over 130 quid iirc

theflatboy
    Free Member

Hmmm at first I thought the angled hooks might work for my garage, but even tilted at 45deg the bars project as as far out into the room as they do when its at 90deg.

you clearly need to mount them on hinges, then, to allow you to browse through and select the one you need. a bit like this:

soma_rich
    Free Member

hmm with a bit of work and a starter motor….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is that a motorized revolving tie rack?

Wow.

theflatboy
    Free Member

now we're getting somewhere!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

just get your self a butler to pull the correct bike out (a bit like a golf caddy) he can then mount it to you car and then take it off at the other end??

simples

Tracey

We use these from Decathlon at £4.95 each, will take big tyres, we have 7 bikes on the back wall of the garage and the other 2 sit on the bike rack

They are mounted at 90% to the pic so the wheels are at an angle

Tracey

coastkid
    Free Member

although not sure what CLS is

cls is a cheap to buy softwood,you can get it at B&Q or if your a skip jumper theres often off cuts chucked out by joiners,its often used for interior wallframes for attaching plasterboard,its easy to saw and drill,cheapy cordless drills will screw fastners into it easy,
    heres the scewfix HD hooks i used,5 for approx a tenner;http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25264/Ironmongery/Hooks/Storage-Hooks/100Kg-Hooks-Black-210mm

petrieboy

if you have the height, these are on offer this week
    http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_10462.htm
    i bought a couple last time they had them in but alas dont have a pitched roof garage 🙁

swoosh
    Free Member

I was looking at something similar to Coastkid and druidh but the joists in the garage roof are too close together so the wheel wont go high enough meaning i need a longer length between the end of the thread and the tip of the hook to allow the wheel to fit in and i cant find one anywhere.

So looks like i'll be using something similar to Tracey from Decathlon or similar. Tracey, when you say the wheels are at an angle, how is that? surely if the hook is parallel to the ground then the wheel hooks in vertically does it not? like here:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage solutions…..’ is closed to new replies.