Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bike price dilemma
  • FOG

What do people think is best, buy a v.expensive bike second hand or a decent new bike discounted to the same price?

MinishMan
    Free Member

I considered the exact same question a couple of months ago, and decided on the former course of action. I could rustle together about £700, for which I could get a cracking hardtail, or scour ebay for the Orange 5 of my dreams.

I got an Orange 5 for £680 delivered, and I must admit it has been a lot, lot more work than just buying a new bike. However, I’ve learnt so much about my bike that I now feel really confident about servicing and maintaining it, and I feel so much more enamoured to this bike I’ve really had to work for, and on, than one I just buy and ride, and when it’s due for its service by the LBS a few months down the line they tell me how I’ve been riding with the headset loose and ruined it…

Rear brake still doesn’t work, and fitting clipless pedal this afternoon, well… I still cant get the non-drive side flattie off so I’ve got one clipless one flattie 😆

Can’t beat it tho, love ma bike to bits!

If I were to do it again, now I’d buy a frame off these classifieds and buy bits from CRC or the classifieds and make a real bike of my dreams. I certainly didn’t feel confident enough to do that two months ago!

Dekerfer
    Free Member

I have built up a number or roadbikes from secondhand top end parts bought through the classifieds. I have ended up with bikes that are in great condition for a tiny fraction of their new price (e.g. Merlin Ti frameset for £700 vs a new price of £3500!).

However, MTBs take a lot more abuse in an environment that is generally full of damp and grit. As a result, quality checking secondhand gear is harder and the risk of buying dud stuff higher.

My view is that you should either go for a genuinely low mileage topend MTB or else abandon the secondhand route and buy the best you can in the sale – there are lots of huge discounts which can be made still more attractive if your employer subscribes to ride-to-work or similar schemes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Bike price dilemma’ is closed to new replies.