Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Bike injuries without crashing?
  • zerocool

Got my finger caught in a spinning disc rotor while trying to align my brother in law’s rear brake by eye in a car park. Took off a large chunk of finger, a quick dressing, some electrical tape and put my glove back on and off we went. The nail bed has never recovered

I also concussed myself (and split my head open) once by walking around the back of my old Mk2 Ford Fiesta and hitting it on the open boot! Don’t really recall the drive home or the pub afterwards

reeksy

A mate recently dislocated his thumb as he slipped over while getting his bike out of the back of his pick-up.

I’ve got a tendency to catch my left pinky knuckle on trees so it’s scarred now. I’ve finally relented and bought full-length gloves as much as I hate them.

ransos
    Free Member

knackered my ITB riding from Warwick to London down the canal towpath. Took a few months of physio to fix.

Same here! I was pootling on the road earlier this year and my knee just went pop. I then went through a few weeks of rest and re-injury before I saw the physio. She reckoned home working had reduced my core strength, and a course of massage and strengthening exercises fixed me up.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Pulling off from a junction out of the saddle in a big gear on a 20 year old bike with the original, and therefore very worn chainrings, the chain unsurprisingly slipped sending the nose of the saddle slamming into my coccyx. Took about a year to heal.

Same bike, different time, again pulling off from a junction out of the saddle, the front wheel just folds in half sending me down in the middle of the road. Commuting on rim brakes year round had worn through the rim.

I have since learnt a bit more about maintaining a bike.

blitz

Pootling along a fire road at about 2mph when I realised I had a leaf stuck under my front mudguard buzzing the tyre. Bent forward to try to pull it out but the bike folded under me. Impaled myself on the end of the bars and cracked a rib.

desperatebicycle

I remembered another one – I didn’t crash the time I rode through a bramble as thick as your arm and it sliced my forehead open. Kept going, cos ‘ard. 😀 It weeely stung though 🙁

jamesoz

I once left a bit of finger flesh on a wall coping stone when I rode past it a bit too close.

Non bike daft accident, I broke a finger changing a duvet cover once. Tricksy things duvets.

Sandwich

I caught a wasp inside my jersey while commuting at a right turn. It managed 2 stings in the chest before I managed to stop, crush and remove it.

thenorthwind

Discussing midges with a friend:
    Friend: You look like you’ve been pretty badly on your legs
    Me: Nope, just ride flat pedals

Got my finger caught in a spinning disc rotor while trying to align my brother in law’s rear brake by eye in a car park. Took off a large chunk of finger, a quick dressing, some electrical tape and put my glove back on and off we went. The nail bed has never recovered

Same. Went to hospital and got the nail removed and it sewn up. Must have been 3 years ago and the nail is still a funny shape.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Embarrassingly, stupidly, I tore my groin on a spin bike. New gym membership, high hopes. An overweight unconditioned bull in a china-shop. I think the seat was also too-high. My revs were certainly far too high for too long, and then I immediately finished the job off using a rowing machine wrongly (tbf this was poor induction, not my mistake)

Then shortly after that event a bottom bracket failed on my while I was powering my new (to me) hardtail up a short dirt-ramp. The instant loss of pedal-resistance catapulted my bonch off the saddle and down onto the top tube. About a week later I was pissing claret and clots for a couple of days. Cue scans, cystoscopy, then bladder biopsy. Then weird pain from that since. Also since developed umbilical hernia (assumedly as referred injury).

So my core is fubar’d, and for last 5 years haven’t been able to ride/carry/swim/run/drive or even **** properly without re-injuring it. Private (layer-by-layer repair) surgery (for the torn groin) is the only option, it seems. Depression has also been a feature since.

Be careful. Especially in gyms and buying used bikes!

reeksy

Got a new one on my ride home tonight.
    Something, presumably a hefty branch, attacked my left shin on a section of singletrack. Didn’t see it, yelped, bit didn’t stop to go back. Decent sized scratch to go next to my mystery bruise from a week or so back.

thepurist

Lunchtime ride just now, I didn’t know that something sharp and thorny was lodged facing out of the snot wipe on my glove. Wiped my nose with the back of my hand and jabbed said sharp thing into the inside of my nostril, slicing it open – ow ow ow ow ow. Blood running down into my mouth. Kept pedalling tho cos I iz nailz.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I fitted a pair of carbon Primavera bars to my Cube road bike around Easter, generally extremely comfy compared to the original alloy bars even without my most padded gloves, so I’ve felt no urgency to fit tape.

However, once again over the past week, I’ve been using the hoods a lot more instead of switching to the drops. If I catch the inside of my left index finger knuckle on anything, the pain is insane!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Getting one strand of gear cable, into / under finger nail. A fair way. Really not fun at all.

boggie62
    Free Member

Stepped off the bike in Grizedale last year, cleat slipped on a greasy stone and banged shin an a rock. It didn’t hurt so carried on riding, eventually noticed a little bit of blood so stopped to inspect. Cue front of shin peeling apart to reveal bone! Shortest route back to car and drive to A&E for 6 stitches. Not once did it even slightly hurt, I reckon my shins are numb from years of pedal strikes before I went clipless.

boggie62
    Free Member

Also whizzing downhill on the road bike and caught up with a wasp, unfortunately for me it was my lip that caught up with it’s backside. Looked like I’d been in a fight when I got home.

tjagain

I did my rotator cuff lifting my bike over a fence. weeks off work and then weeks on restricted duties. Went part time in the end. almost a year off the tandem.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Dislocated shoulder years ago. Went to lean against a tree whilst still sitting on bike. Tree was slightly further away than I thought….

jp-t853

Update on my shin injury from a stone hitting me.

The bit below from Reluctantjumper got me thinking from his similar injury

That would explain why I had felt like my left leg was loose and wobbly then

I thought it was just my imagination playing tricks but my leg felt a bit ‘loose’ on a few rides 🙂
    I have had an X-Ray today because of persistent limp and throbbing pain and I have a quite nicely healed non displaced fracture, if I had had a cast it would be coming off now so just need to build back up.

rhinofive

I’m carrying a broken wrist from a CX race mishap so confined to turbo for a while

riding ‘no hands’ to avoid any accidental bar-interface I was feeling well-pro as I plucked mozzies out of the air with my good hand without breaking cadence …….until I gave the garage ceiling a Bruce Lee style one finger punch. Fortunately just a black nail today rather than another trip to A&E

theianscott
    Free Member

I managed to get a grade 2 tear of the calf a couple of weeks ago at Trans Madeira…. getting off my bike to push it.

desperatebicycle

Today! Not exactly an injury, but it bloody hurt – due to the cold and the erectness of the receiving area… went through a narrow gap between 2 trees, vertical branch (hazel?) got hooked up on the bars, flicked back and wacked me right on the left nipple. oochy! Did I swear loudly for a good 5 minutes afterwards!

belugabob
    Free Member

Bee to face at 40mph downhill on the road. Saw it coming from thirty yards out but there was traffic on one side and a dodgy verge on the other so no swerving to avoid.

I was going to say “duck!” but that would have probably hurt much more 😉

endomick
    Free Member

I recently did something to the muscle in my left forearm somehow, It has taken ages to get back to normal, at one point I couldn’t even get the 2 litre milk bottle out from the fridge door. Lucky I’m right handed.

andrewh
    Free Member

Am I allowed to have crashing a turbo? That must be in the spirit of thread at least. Snapped seatpost, shot off the back, elbow into very solid floor.
    I have also seen someone crash a spinning bike in gym, whole thing over sideways

coatesy
    Free Member

My shins look like they’ve been through a butcher’s shop due to flat pedal strikes. I don’t even have flat pedals on my own bikes, and none have come from riding, just wheeling the effing things around tight workshop & storeroom spaces.

mrdestructo

Inadequate fork damping, and thundering down a few hills, left the top of my left forearm aching.

On getting home and cleaning the bike, I went to lift it on a stand to tweak the brakes/gears before I put it away. Just lifting the bike sent shocking pain through my forearm.

Three weeks later, mumbling about getting old or something, and I’ve finally put an elasticated bandage around it during the day because it’s been getting worse!

seadog101

Pedals vs shins.
    Clipped or flat. Slip, crack, ouch, blood, pain etc
    Still have a curious lump on the left shin from a ride two weeks ago.

tonyg2003

Went to reach over pick up my bike for a ride, back went into spasm. Cue days lying on the floor waiting for the muscle pain to end. That was over 25yrs ago and I still get occasional back pain on that side from the injury.

bikesandboots

New pannier on the commuting bike, first time I’ve ever had one. On arrival, forgot it was there until halfway through dismounting. Ended up half-falling/jumping off and slamming my ankle into the front of the saddle.

BigJohn

I came to a halt in a muddy bit of field. Right foot didn’t release until I was on the way down so stomped it down to save the fall. I guess the foot landed on a stone at an angle so I heard a crack and ended up on the ground looking at the sole of my shoe. I soon realised this was a place nobody visited often so it was up to me to get back to the nearest village, just over a mile away down a boggy bridleway. I dropped the saddle and started riding. After a bit my pedalling leg was mighty tired so I put my broken leg on the pedal to help a bit. But it just went in and out, shorter and longer, like a tyre pump.
    It was a spiral fracture of the tibia which took 12 weeks in a full leg plaster to heal. That was 24 years ago and I’m still wearing a compression stocking as a result, but no other long term problems. Can still cycle, windsurf and snowboard on it.

onehundredthidiot

Cutting a ziptie while prepping for ‘puffer. Did I use the snips just out of reach or the leatherman in my hand? Literally in both hands.
    Had a moment of “shit” grabbed first aid kit. Bandaged it, took dog for a quick round the block (I knew this would take a while) drove to ERI was sent to st John’s. Dropped dog home on way. Was in surgery within 12hours. Plastic surgeon jumped me past all the weekend fighting injuries. Blade nicked nerves and tendon so they pretty much opened the fleshy part of my thumb. Lass I was seeing just got back from working a long haul flight to a murder scene in bathroom and a bloody note to say dog walked, in hospital, phone parents.

13thfloormonk

All very tedious over-use and postural stuff for me! Low back, low back, upper back, hips etc.

Went for a bike fit recently, pelvis is so out of alignment that my sitbones are pretty much at 45 degrees to one another on the saddle! No wonder one hip in almost constant spasm.

Bike fitter also recommended that I lower my bars a bit, turns out if you’re trying to ride hard/train, there is such a thing as having the bars too high, who would have thought!

I also think I’ve slipped back into my old weekend warrior habits e.g. spend all week stressing at the desk, maybe fit in a short ride or two, then try to smash out some big gravel epic at the weekend, chasing segments along the way. Probably not a surprise that I’m a hobbling wreck by the end of the summer! Need to get back into the ‘little and often’ habit I stuck with when recuperating from back surgery two years ago.

Nothing gory and exciting though, came within inches of ALMOST CERTAINLY chopping a finger off when unfolding my new Elite rollers yesterday 😎

TiRed

I snapped a plastic gear lever changing gear when in the US on a borrowed bike. The gouge in my thumb was long and deep. I can still see the inch long scar now, thirty years later.

Had a few nips at fingertips from fixed wheel transmission adjustments. POST THAT PICTURE!

Countless brake cable flesh interactions.

Trapped a nerve in my neck on my first club ride two weeks ago. Never had that before. The tingling on the back of my arm lasted three days.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mate of mine lost the last joint of his middle finger washing his bike once, it’s by far his worst bike related injury.

I took a lump out of my pinky catching the gate on the last bit of Twrch at Cwmcarn.

alan1977
    Free Member

had a pedal smash… felt like it was directly under me.. buggered my ankle up nicely for a good moth or so…

sixtoes

Bee to face at 40mph downhill on the road. Saw it coming from thirty yards out but there was traffic on one side and a dodgy verge on the other so no swerving to avoid.

I’ve done this. Airflow somehow took it over my glasses and right into my eye. That was a fun trip to A&E.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Bike injuries without crashing?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM