Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Bike injuries without crashing?
  • desperatebicycle

Tell me I’m not the only one who has injured themselves riding, just riding! I did a little jump on Saturday and put my back out. Think it was because I was clipped in and have been mostly riding on flats lately. Got something wrong and felt massive twinge all down my left side. Such a pensioner! Argh.
    Anyone else done such a silly thing?

monkeyboyjc

My knee seems to have taken a bashing at some point from riding – no visible issues just developed a pain over the weekend if I knock it.

Mine you it could just be one of those middle aged grumbles…

ossify
    desperatebicycle

OOchy! I have sat on a nut before in the act of jumping back on the saddle. That’s pretty painful!

thepurist

I put my back out while stationary on my bike in the back garden (using a manual trainer, back just went pop when I was pushing my weight back).

IHN

Dislocated a finger wrapping an elastic band around a folded up inner tube.

Klunk
    Free Member

Impinged my right shoulder when the chain snapped on the SS.

rhinofive

desperatebicycle
    Free Member
    OOchy! I have sat on a nut before in the act of jumping back on the saddle. That’s pretty painful!

…..welcome to the world of Vets CX racing

desperatebicycle

..welcome to the world of Vets CX racing

lots of yelps on certain parts of the course? 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

I have sat on a nut before in the act of jumping back on the saddle.

I pancake my balls at least every other ride.

It’s a wonder they still do anything.

Does “not crashing” include hitting things but staying upright? I do most of my damage like that TBH.

dyna-ti

Slipped a disc trying to put down power on the pedals while sitting in the lowered saddle position.

Walking home with a slipped disc is agony. Then I got a puncture and discovered changing a puncture with a slipped disc is even worse agony.
    Then I got another puncture.
    Damn those hedge cutting farmers. I didnt bother with the second puncture, wheeled it home on the flat.

andrewh
    Free Member

Does “not crashing” include hitting things but staying upright? I do most of my damage like that TBH.

If it does I’m going for cracked rib, just rode into a fist size tree brach at chest height. Luckily not a pointy one.
    If it doesn’t, I keep cutting my knee on my light bracket 🙈 Really must sort that

trailwagger
    Free Member

I did this to my knee just by swinging a leg over my bike to get on it

knee

And also this to my achilles while stationary astride my bike. I lost my balance and the chainring sliced through it.

achiles

thols2

I had a pedal strike on a small stump at about 2 mph. Tried to get off the bike, tripped and fell over sideways, put out my arm to catch my fall, strained my shoulder and my back with the twisting. Took about a month to recover. I know that removing obstacles from trails is a heinous crime, but this was personal between me and that stump so I took a folding saw and cut that little **** down to size.

reluctantjumper

A few years ago I had a large rock ping up and whack me on the shin, enough to leave a bruise and for it to go numb but nothing more. That was until I went to the doctor as it hadn’t regained feeling fully after a month. Cue an x-ray to see if anything was amiss only for them to ask about my old leg break as it looked like the bone that had grown back was cutting a nerve. Told them I’d never broken my leg by they showed me the x-ray with an obvious area that looked like it had been cut and glued back together on the squiff! That would explain why I had felt like my left leg was loose and wobbly then. Amazingly I’d been on a few uplift days in between and even played a game of football. They shaved the edges down for me via keyhole surgery and remarked that the new growth was indeed fresh.

Gutted to have missed out on a few weeks on full sick pay and the fun of having a cast and crutches. I still think they were making it up.

johnx2
    Free Member

…does serious exfoliation count? The sort you get from Pyrenean/Sierra Nevada singletrack through particularly vicious thorn bushes so your forearms, fingers (hate full gloves when it’s hot) and knees are basically just try blood after a ride.

I’ve also hurt my back a bit doing a very small drop at the start of a ride having forgotten to turn on the suspension. Sort of thing I complain about a lot but is no big deal. And exacerbated bollock issues with Buster Gonadesque results in a way that is only ever going to be comedy. To everyone else.

@OP unrelated but username made me dig this out of the internet, which took some finding and sounds great:

desperatebicycle

Lovely 😀

desperatebicycle

Does “not crashing” include hitting things but staying upright?

Loris Vergier hitting the tree at Snowshoe was a classic of the genre! Bet hes got a sore shoulder this morning

chakaping
    Free Member

I got hit by a motorbike and had a massive bruise to show for it, but I stayed upright and he went down.

* insert chuck norris gif *

goslow

Twice I’ve messed up my knee ligaments getting off my bike on rough terrain.

midlifecrashes

Bee to face at 40mph downhill on the road. Saw it coming from thirty yards out but there was traffic on one side and a dodgy verge on the other so no swerving to avoid.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I swear the local rocks are ganging up on me at the moment. I’ve had at least 5 gnarly hits in the past few weeks from rocks thrown up by the front wheel. All on exactly the same spot at the bottom of my right shin. I think the lump is becoming permanent.

BenjiM

Cut my fingertip open on a course post at the CX National Trophy in Derby at the weekend. Didn’t realise how bad it was until a few minutes later when I thought it had started raining! Blood spatter down my legs, blood all over me lovely purple bar tape and me 5p Planetx KOM Socks 🙁

boombang
    Free Member

70% Achilles tear from accumulative overuse, actually let go near Wimbledon on RideLondon whilst cruising along having a chat to a mate I’d spotted.

I’m pretty good at injuring myself without even riding though.
    Popped back lifting a bike off roof rack.
    Chainring through knuckles carelessly undoing driveside pedal.
    Jabbed an old frayed brake cable down my thumbnail.
    Standard stuff.

PhilO
    Free Member

Does tennis elbow (from wrestling the ‘bars while having a death-grip on the brakes) count? 🙁

gringo

I dislocated my knee whilst navigating round a fallen tree on a local section of singletrack. I lifted my bike over it, climbed over and then ‘pop’ as my knee went.

Had to call for help and a few of the golfers on the course next door came to help. I put my knee back in but couldn’t walk so got a lift back to the club house on a buggy

onewheelgood

knackered my ITB riding from Warwick to London down the canal towpath. Took a few months of physio to fix.

MoreCashThanDash

I have a dodgy back. Pulled away from a set of traffic lights too enthusiastically, two pedal strokes in and “ping!”, scream, just made it across the junction without being hit.

Another time I discovered that the little rubber caps on the end of the SKS mudguard stays were missing when I failed to clip in and foot went forwards, raking a lovely furrow down my shin. Despite bandaging it up (I carry a small first aid kit due to my own incompetence) a trickle of blood had reached my sock by the time I made it to the childminders to pick up my daughter…..

Alex

Head butted a wasp at the weekend. I hope the perishing little stinger felt as dazed as I did!

Dropped a bike off roof bars onto my head

Sliced myself open with many tools

Does ‘running into a supermarket door trying to get a beer after a ride only to find it was locked and breaking my nose’ count?

Alex

Oh forgot my favourite. Levered myself into my mates van via the B pillar just as he slammed the drivers door. Quite the case of mallet finger. Rode the rest of the weekend and presented myself in A&E on the Monday.

They were taken aback at my stupidity 😉

PJay
    Free Member

Does having a heart attack whilst out riding count? If so, that’s me!

downshep

Broke a finger tightening a bike onto a Thule 591 rack in the Glentress car park.

Harry_the_Spider

A few years back I was trying to fix something but was too lazy to get the workstand out so had the bike propped up on some garden furniture. Anyway, I got the transmission up to speed and was taking a closer look somewhere around the front mech when the bike fell off and ran over my head.

Moral to the story: Don’t be a dick.

DougD

Managed to twinge my back pumping up my tyres with a track pump before heading out for a ride. Never had any back issues before, it was agony.

jp-t853

stevomcd

I swear the local rocks are ganging up on me at the moment.

This is happening to me as well. One big whack in the middle of the left shin two weeks ago and the swelling has gone but it is a niggling pain now.

Reluctantjumper has got me worried now

Cue an x-ray to see if anything was amiss only for them to ask about my old leg break as it looked like the bone that had grown back was cutting a nerve

desperatebicycle

Blimey, at least I was actually riding 😀

rhinofive

I’ve had the opposite; broke a finger opening a bottle of wine and was happy not to correct anyone who assumed I’d done on a bike

MoreCashThanDash

Oh forgot my favourite. Levered myself into my mates van via the B pillar just as he slammed the drivers door. Quite the case of mallet finger

Not cycling related but MrsMC closed a car door on her hand when eldest was a toddler. Unfortunately, she only has one working hand, which was the one trapped in the door, and she couldn’t open the car door with the other.

She somehow calmly asked me to walk around the car and open the door to release her hand so she didn’t upset the lad. Hard as nails my wife.

bikesandboots

Tiny ankle chip slipping off flat pedals on a climb.

Various trivial pedal-shin/calf interfaces, mostly in the garage, pushing around pre/post-ride, or pushing up steep hills.

Pinched the skin between my thumb and index finger while using an old pump.

Broke a finger tightening a bike onto a Thule 591 rack in the Glentress car park.

With the ratchet wheel? How?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Bike injuries without crashing?’ is closed to new replies.