Home Forums Bike Forum Big birthday next – titanium gravel bike treat for myself

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Big birthday next – titanium gravel bike treat for myself
  • DezB
    Free Member

Got those hideous Lauf things on the builds :-(

R+Top-tube

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Design your own? You get exactly what you think you want!

senorj

Some lovely bikes on this thread…Do Geness still do a CdF in titanium?

I have to confess I’m leaning towards a carbon bargain for my big50 treat.

Orbea Terra is on my list.

DezB
    Free Member

Do Geness still do a CdF in titanium?

Fella at the rugby club had one. Must say it didn’t look as nice as the Tripster.

I had my shortlist down to 2, the other was carbon – a SC Stigmata. Ti seemed more special though.

philba
    Free Member

I have a Reilly Gradient (V2, size L (I’m 6ft1in), Hunt 4 Season Gravel wheels, MTZoom T8 rear axle, SRAM Force 1 1X 42T – 10/42 gears / brakes (Shimano discs), Ritchey WCX Evomax bars, Hope BB, Panaracer GravelKing SK 38mm tyres) and am super happy with it. For me at least, it will never replace my mountain bike, but for the road and tracks etc. it is very capable and comfortable. I too had some delays (it is a small outfit so does not carry big stocks etc), but Mark did finally sort everything out – you just some patience (not so easy having paid your deposit).

ibnchris

Got myself a Reilly recently too and love it.  It was my 40th (a couple of years late because it took me that long to decide).  Thought the customer service was great.  He opened up shop for me (despite having a family lunch) so I could come and get myself sorted and was a lovely chap to boot.  Think he’s just super busy (because his bikes are awesome) and so isn’t necessarily able to respond as fast as he’d like to emails.

If you can be patient (and maybe arrange to go down in person) I’d say it’s worth the wait. I went Ultegra and Hope and it’s lovely…

benp1

I really like the Reilly Gradient, and I think the warranty is lifetime? I didn’t think Enigma was that long

RustySpanner

Design your own? You get exactly what you think you want!

If you can afford an off the peg Ti frame, you can afford some handbuilt lovelyness.

Hand built 853? Mmmmmm…..

Bet it’d  last longer too…..

fudge9202
    Free Member

So for a custom 853 frame who are the go to builders?

hardtailonly

Woodrups in Leeds. Have seen some lovely Stainless Steel frames in there too!

RustySpanner

Loads to go at. Hewitt, Rourke, Shand, Roberts and loads of new builders have started up over the last few years.

Ti is beautiful, but steel is……y’know. 🙂

fudge9202
    Free Member

I had quite a few steel hard tails and steel road bikes over the years but never titanium. For those that have had both what is the difference in the way that they ride. Please no “fluffy” descriptions!!, a bit af real world detail would be nice. I currently have a Salsa Vaya with a carbon fork which is superb for long day rides and very capable off road in its 650b guise

ta11pau1

Zing. Or spring. Apparently.

Not speaking from experience, sadly. :(

tdog
    Free Member

Most definitely that ^

indescribable feeling of fluffy carpet and rolling all over it 😁

reggiegasket
    Free Member

It depends on how the frame has been made, as to how it’ll ride. I’ve had ti frames that were comfy, supple, springy, great on towpaths etc. (e.g. Airborne Carpe Diem) but equally I’ve ridden ti frames that were much stiffer than this, and basically only fit for Majorcan roads.

The suitability of these frames (to ‘gravel’ riding – a questionable term) comes down how they’ve been put together.

re. the Gradient, my assessment is that it’s between a road bike and a gravel bike, in terms of ride and if you want to do a lot of towpaths then there a ‘softer’ candidates. Furthermore, the std fork is definitely too stiff for offroading, and it’s something I’m going to change when I have the time/cash. It’s basically a road fork.

fudge9202
    Free Member

What fork came on it as standard, and what fork do you intend to change to?

TiRed

Love titanium. Hence the name. But for advice, buy a bike for the riding you are doing now rather than the riding you’d like to do. If you aren’t currently riding gravel, but spend all your time on a HT, but another one of those.

i has a Mwrlin road bike. It was a joy until it was stolen. I now have a Ti cross bike which is also also lovely.

My next bike will be a custom steel fixed wheel frame in TCR geometry. I know I’ll ride it, as I already ride a fixed road bike a lot. But it will be just that bit more special.

karnali
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the px tempest, been looking at them for a while as a cheapish way to try a ti bike. Will be commuter, winter road bike odd cx race, light tourer

Sanny
    Free Member

I have a Kinesis Tripster – great bike. Well it was until I took delivery of a test DeAnima DeFer gravel bike. It’s fully custom and based on the OPEN UP geometry. Runs with either 700c Bruce Gordon Rock and Road’s or Schwalbe G Ones for road adventures. Also sets up with 2.1 Racing Ralph’s in 650B guise for chunkier trails. It is genuinely astonishing. I rode it for several week in Mallorca in the summer and on the road, it is the most assured descending bike I have ever ridden. It carves through corners while the steel frame, carbon post and Ti saddle make it easily as comfortable as my Tripster off road despite the latter having a Thudbuster on it.

The welding and finish are top notch. It just works really well both on and off road. I know you are heart set on Ti but having the luxury of running both, the DeAnima is in a different league altogether. This isn’t a case of new bike syndrome – it is noticeably better than the Tripster which is already a very good bike indeed.

Oh and it is made by Gianni Pegoretti. While his brother Dario got all the attention for his fancy paint jobs, Gianni is just as much a skilled builder of frames without the flash. He has built for the likes of Indurain and Pantani in the past.

Hope this helps?

Sanny

13thfloormonk

I only have eyes for one Ti gravel bike, the Heretic

plus-one

I’ve had few Ti bikes over the years mtb/cx and whilst nice bikes the magic buzz of Ti is overrated imo. Fat tyres at correct pressure/comfy carbon bars make more difference.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Big birthday next – titanium gravel bike treat for myself’ is closed to new replies.