Home Forums Bike Forum Big birthday next – titanium gravel bike treat for myself

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Big birthday next – titanium gravel bike treat for myself
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, bit of day dreaming here, but it’s the big 50 next year, and I have a hankering for some bling if budgets allow. Fancy a Ti gravel bike, surrounded as I am by miles of tracks and trails to make the most of it.

Current favourite would be  a Reilly Gradient, but also been looking at the Ribble CGR Ti, which I think only takes 35mm tyres, and the Planet X Tempest if the budget needs slashing.

Any views, experiences or alternatives would be gratefully received

Kryton57
    ta11pau1
    eskay

I cannot add any recommendations but, having just bought a Pinnacle Arkose and increasingly realising that it is my favourite bike, I have thought that a Titanium version would be amazing. I’ll watch the thread with interest because my 50th is getting ever closer!!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Mason Bokeh Ti?

The aluminium Bokeh is a great bike so I’d imagine the Ti version is something special. If I had the money I’d be upgrading mine to a Ti one.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a Gradient and very pleased with it. The Enigma looks pretty similar, now they’ve sorted out the dropouts.

Bokeh ti looks neat but then is almost twice the price.

mtbfix

I hankered for ti in a hardtail for years. When I finally got one, lovely as it is, I realised a modern carbon frame would have been lighter and more forgiving. Alternatively a custom steel frame might have left me a bit more invested in the thing. If I were spending £1500+ on a frame again I’d buy carbon (where all the big R&D goes) or a proper custom steel frame.

MoreCashThanDash

Couple of slightly more expensive alternatives thanks! Hadn’t realised Enigma did one, and never heard of Kingdom.

I have one of the first generation Arkrose for commuting with rack and guards. Stripped those off for a couple of rides in the summer which made me think how much fun a dedicated gravel bike would be.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you can customise the Gradient. That’s what I did.

MoreCashThanDash

Mtbfix – have lovely steel road and mountain bikes, wouldn’t rule out a carbon one but I love the classic look of ti and steel

EhWhoMe

Enigma Escaspe here..very very nice , very versatile, cross gravel thing in summer winter road bike in winter…perfect.

I tried to buy a Reilly Gradient at a dealer local to me very good looking frame.. but they just would not get back to me about availability and things despite me trying to give them my money.

Tried direct with Reilly and did not have a good time…ordered it told will be with me in 3 days, never came, rang up, oops sorry forgot to send it i was off sick, never got it again rang up, oops sorry we dont have any large even though we told you we did, we will have some in 6 weeks, ok i thought but they never came aparently due to tube problems  , i got told another 6 weeks or wait till new version which we dont know when will be available..gave up and gave my money to Enigma and glad i did..this was a year ago so may be different now with Reilly….

ta11pau1

I hankered for ti in a hardtail for years. When I finally got one, lovely as it is, I realised a modern carbon frame would have been lighter and more forgiving. Alternatively a custom steel frame might have left me a bit more invested in the thing. If I were spending £1500+ on a frame again I’d buy carbon (where all the big R&D goes) or a proper custom steel frame.

I’ve got my eye on a Kingdom Vendetta LS as an ultimate ‘keep it forever’ hardtail frame, it probably won’t be for another year until I get one but I see it as having all the benefits of steel without the weight penalty – I’ve specced up a 150mm fork semi-burly build with a revelation 35mm, dropper, proper tyres, proper brakes and it still comes in under 25lbs/11.5kg. 25lbs for a hardcore hardtail with 150mm travel and a dropper seems pretty light to me… Stick a on a carbon non-dropper, some lighter tyres and a couple of other lighter bits and it’s down to 22lbs/10kg!

plus-one

I had fairly blinged up pickenflick while back. Was hefty and bit underwhelming. Now got space chicken it’s way more fun(and light) .

amedias
    Free Member

Burls – get exactly what you want with the exact mounts/clearances/geometry/features you want for less money than you expect.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah, Reilly are patchy at customer service it’s true. A mate was interested in the Gradient and tried to get some geo info on it and they never replied to him either. In the end he bought a Bokeh (al).

hardtailonly

Seems to be a thing … ‘mid’ (late) life crisis = titanium 50th birthday treat! 😂

I went through this earlier this year for my own 50th. Realistically didn’t have the budget for most of the options suggested above, so was looking either at nicer alloy (than my Saracen Hack) or possibly Carbon (Space Chicken/Bish Bash Bosh) or the ‘budget’ Ti offerings from Planet X and Alpkit.

Got the Pickenflick as it was reduced pre-xmas to £1300 (SRAM Rival), so full bike for the price of a frameset from most of the other suggestions above.

It’s not advertised as a ‘gravel’ bike by PX/OO, but the geo and tyre clearance figures mean it fits the bill perfectly.

It’s bloody brilliant! Great on road, and a hoot off road.

I saw a guy with the Tempest at the Yorkshire True Grit, which also looked very nice, particularly with the 650b wheels, but the ‘flick has clearance for 650×2″ rubber.

If you have the budget, by all means go for a more boutique frame/bike. But I don’t reckon you’d be disappointed with a Pickenflick/Tempest/Sonder Camino, and that might give you breathing space to spec a nice group set and/or two sets of nice wheels.

charliemort

Fargo Ti?

Kinesis Tripster……. surprised that hasn’t come up

ElVino
    Free Member

Staring the big 5 Oh in the face also, for my 40th I went for a Ti Road bike and tested loads from Enigma, Van Nicholas etc. but ended up buying an off the peg Ti Cube which was available at the time, I have never regretted it,  a quick rub with a cloth and it looks brand new, of course carbon is a lighter option.

For this one I was thinking of the Bokeh but probably just in Al. I’ve seen a couple in the flesh and they look superb. Probably get it invisiframed but the Ti option has certainly got me thinking

captmorgan
    Free Member

Sonder Camino TI?

badgerbater
    Free Member

Suprised this hasn’t been mentioned – what about an OPEN U.P.  Always thought these look the business for a gravel/adventure bike…

otsdr
    Free Member

Could it be because it’s made of “not titanium”? Also, not very easy on the eyes.

dovebiker

If you want to enjoy long-days out and even taking in a few MTB trails, the ability to take a bigger 40mm+ tyre makes a big difference – no drop in speed but the bigger volume tyres really help smooth out the trails / improves handling / reduces chances of pinch punctures.

zilog6128

yeah, Reilly are patchy at customer service it’s true.

Had a similar experience recently when trying to buy a bike. Just didn’t seem that interested. Maybe he is very busy, or gets a lot of tyre kickers! Ended up spending a wodge revitalising my current bike so still in the market for some Ti gravel in the next few years! They will still be on my shortlist though.

Depends what you want I suppose? A fast road bike that can also handle bridleways, or a more capable off-road or touring beast? Literally just heard about the Stooge Ti Bastard on another thread, certainly looks a bit different & no problem with tyre clearance there!

Blazin-saddles

I’d recommend the Mason too if budget allows.  I have a Def2 and love it, I’m try hard not to order a Ti Bokeh.

2tyred

FRAMEWORKS

Friend of mine. They’re lovely.

P20

After seeing the Reilly in the metal, I really want one. Beautiful piece of kit

DezB
    Free Member

Kinesis Tripster……. surprised that hasn’t come up

No regrets here. Superb.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks guys, lots to ponder in the next few weeks….

avdave2

I’d a ti Enigma planned for my 50th but the wife decided to treat me to a divorce instead. She was even good enough to give it to me a couple of days early and made it extra special by delivering it while on holiday :-)

I should say we are on very good terms and I post for your amusement not to vent my overwhelming sense of bitterness as I sit alone in a bar in Prague crying into my beer still yearning for my unconsummated love for metal

petec
    Free Member

now given the unlimited budget (it’s not my money…I can dream), I would definitely go for one of these from Number 22 cycles; Drifter

Lovely lovely bikes, infinitely customisable, and made by the same people that used to make Serotta bikes

ideax
    Free Member

I’ve had the Reilly Gradient since May ’17 and couldn’t be happier – most of my riding is on pretty flat rail trails here in Ontario and the bike absolutely flies.  I did swap out the stock wheels for Hunts and went tubeless which really improved the ride as well.

I had a few frustrations dealing with Reilly initially – but I was ordering the bike about a week before Bespoked and I think as a small shop he was struggling to keep up with demand.  I’ve made a few enquiries of him since then and he’s been really responsive.

dudeofdoom

Dont get the ti love tbh,must be an old man thing :-)

As the Open.Up(your wallet) got mentioned I’m going to propose it’s brother from a different mother the 3T Exploro.

Its aerooooo as well and actually rather nice and a bit different and very capable of emptying your wallet if you drip it in 3t goodies.

otsdr
    Free Member

Money’s no object and titanium is optional? Appleman, they actually look like proper frames instead of Daliesque open (no pun intended) molds.

cheers_drive
    trail_rat
    Free Member

On the ti Vs carbon.

I have a carbon xc race bike and a ti xc race one from 2008 and one from 2009

The carbon one looks dated as hell the ti one looks as classy as it did the day it was bought.

Both still ride well although both geometry’s are dated by modern standards.

I’m urming and ahhig my self over a giant propel advanced 2 disk or a nice ti road bike

Head says propel heart says ti frame

gonetothehills
    Free Member

My Tripster arrived a few months before my 40th… just over five years ago… It’s been a spectacularly good investment and I’m so glad I opted for something I use all year round as my midlife treat – I’d toyed with something for high days and dry days but I get so much enjoyment from the Tripster, whether it’s commuting, touring or just ‘riding a bike’, I think you’re thinking along the right lines. Tell you what… I’ll recommend what I’ve got 😎.

corroded
    Free Member

+1 for the Atalaya. Not ridden one but I had some contact with Jan last year and he was exceptionally helpful. Never ridden an Atalaya but it has some lovely touches.

DezB
    Free Member

Here! What was that gorgeous frame a little while ago with the etching on it? Almost made me regret the Tripster that one…. I’ll try to find it!

It was a Why Cycles R+

31711087_788019548065945_5103245935987654656_o

somafunk

firefly ti bikes are very nice , I’ve never seen one in the flesh so to speak but if I could ride, I’d have one in my collection

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Big birthday next – titanium gravel bike treat for myself’ is closed to new replies.