Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Big backpack for …. ummm .. backpacking
  • DrJ

I am looking for a big backpack for hiking/camping trips. I am thinking I need 70+ litres capacity, but not quite sure how to test or choose. I have seen these in local shops:

http://www.ospreyeurope.com/dk_en/pack-selector/aether-70

http://www.lowealpine.com/expedition-75-95-axiom

but I guess there are many other candidates. Any ideas about what to look for or avoid would be welcomed, as well as specific recommendations!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I spent ages looking online and eventually got fedup so tried a local store – tried a few different sizes and brands eventually bought a Highlander Ben Nevis 66l – bigger than I was after (was looking for large daypack) but the quality, features and fit sold me – is bags of room and many access options (bottom/front/top). Its highly adjustable and has very handy pocket in waistband. Easily managed to fit a one man tent and sleep mat in the bottom compartment leaving bags of room for other stuff. Swallowed a weeks camping gear – I wouldnt want any larger personally.

Only minor thing so far is the massive waistbands are a bit annoying if trying to store the bag in a small tent porch or living space, they flap around like ears once unbuckled. Cost me sixty quid which is cheap for sucha piece of kit IMO, but I know now that you can pay half that online in the sale.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

review (not mine)

AlasdairMc

I have an Osprey Aether 70, and it’s brilliant. It’s lighter than it ought to be but well made and extremely comfortable

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

ALDI – £20. Went on sale yesterday.
    My wife and I both grabbed one for an upcoming month in India.

They are adjustable to fit your back length, have decently padded adjustable straps, a rain cover, access through the front to the bottom half and load of other loops etc All stuff a couple of sites on choosing backpacks I read had mentioned

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-26th-june/product-detail/ps/p/trekking-backpack/

slowoldman

I think Osprey take some beating for big sacs. Mrs has one. Very nice. I have an old style Arcteryx Bora which is comfortable but a bit heavy by modern standards.

Edukator
    Free Member

Small backpack for backpacking. If in doubt, chuck it out.

For Summer lowland camping I use a 40l sac with the tent strapped on the bottom. In the Alps with enough for freezing nights 55l.

boblo
    Free Member

Edukator=agreed.

If you have 70l and fill it, you’ll be carrying too much crap. That is, assuming you’ve purchased the requisite lightweight gear and are not busy doing your DofE….

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a look at the Podsacs that Brant is flogging off cheap..

Podsacs

wonnyj
    Free Member

I like the alpkit gorgon bags. Simple, watertight, cheap, tough and comfy.

Did two consequetive 100 mile road ride with a well loaded 30l one a and it was great. Not tried off road much

boblo
    Free Member

You won’t be doing much backpacking with a 30l pack….

Slogo
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the older Aether 70 packs. looks the same tho. great pack its been around the world a few times.

Lots of adjustment, padding is great. light weight but really strong. I wish it had a few zip pockets for a few bits. but i see the new one has small hip pockets. mines got a divider at the bottom, so you can separate a few bits too. plus the top can take a lot more as it expands.

Any one going travelling I suggest getting a pack bag protector like this travel bag you will be surprised how grubby it gets once the airport baggage handlers drag it across the floor. and comes in handy when you do the laundry or don’t want to put dirty cloths inside your back pack.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

ASDA have some pretty nice 45 litre bags for £18. Had a look at them in the shop today.

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-Rucksack—45-Litre-Capacity/000946971,default,pd.html

chewkw
    Free Member

Have a look at Tatonka because this is my favourite brand at the moment.

I have four of their bags – Barrel L, Flight Barrel, Baron and Groove Shoulder Bag.

Well design with strong material.

Tatonka

I bet their rucksacks are good too because I am very happy with the design and quality of their products so far.

😀

crankboy
    Free Member

I got a big berghaus for a week in Scotland managed to carry all we needed over rough ground . it was very heavy when full but thanks to good padded straps an adjustable back and narrow design it was very comfortable .Compression straps reduced the bulk for day walks . it also held everything for two for a week of hotels and holiday homes in Europe.
    My tip look for good straps adjustable backs and a rain cover. I was very fortunate to buy in go outdoors from a knowledgeable lad who helped me try on every bag they had and put weights in them so I could get a feel for real life comfort.

konabunny
    Free Member

Have a look at the Podsacs that Brant is flogging off cheap..

That website says

PRICE GUARANTEE
    We’re so confident in our no-nonsense prices that we’ve got a no-nonsense price gurantee, just to make sure:
    If you find an identical product cheaper elsewhere within 7 days of purchase then we’ll beat that price!
    In fact, we’ll refund the difference plus 10%*

but does anyone else actually sell Podsacs? Is it a private label?

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Go Pod. If you need anything bigger than a 50 litre for three season stuff you are carrying too much gear. Unless we are speaking about very remote and you have to pack food for three/four days or more.

Light is right 🙂

piemonster

Go-lite are worth a look, very happy with mine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Smaller pack and better packing. Strap extra on the outside.
    How long are you going for? Managed 3 days with 55l and not the best kit stuff on the outside and 7l of water each.
    Pack list
    Sleeping bag
    Mat
    Tent/bivy
    Stove & pans
    Fuel
    Food
    Bog roll

What else are you taking?

TooTall
    Free Member

Strap extra on the outside.

Strap the bare minimum on the outside. If you have more than that you’ve got the wrong kit, the wrong bag or both.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I meant sleeping mat and anything else long and thin like tent poles.

Edukator
    Free Member

A soggy tent is definitely better strapped dripping on the bottom of the pack than inside it.

I’ve just trial packed my rucksac for a 20-30km/day walk this Summer.

40l rucksac
    Swimming goggles and trunks
    Tiny tooth paste, tooth brush, lump of soap, cut-down pack towel
    Dental floss, Swiss army knife, foot powder, ear cleaning poire, plastic spoon
    Guide book, map, reading glasses
    sandals/trekking boots (depending what is on my feet)
    flannel trousers, waterproof, long-sleeved shirt, thin polar fleece, Pants, socks
    two-man hooped gortex bivvy (1.1kg)
    sleeping bag (600gm)
    tiny cut-down closed-cell mat
    House keys
    Pen, paper
    1l water, food for a day
    wallet
    LED glimmer

8kg or 7kg without the water.

Wear: sun hat, shorts, pants, t-shirt, boots/sandals

Madame will be carrying the phone, charger, reading matter

matt_outandabout

Personal experience -avoid the cheap ones. Just at the wrong moment a shoulder strap rips out (on my ML training), or a seam bursts (many a time). Buy a decent one, expect it to last for life.

I have a (pre cheap crap) Karrimor, it just passed 20 years hard use, and I just overloaded it again and dragged it round a forest for a weekend….

I like Lowe Alpine – I find them simple and robust. I also find their plain backs super comfy. They are usually available in a sale, and great value.

Osprey do seem great, but I sm not sure they are quite as robust with all the net bits and tape running through fabric bits. But by heck they are comfy.

A just bought a Deuter 55L for the kids, and it seems a well made, well priced and neatly done bag with adjustable back. But it weighs twice as much as any other rucksack I have. If you want simple and light, dont get adjustable. My back doesn’t change length, so I have never bought an adjustable back one for me.

Edukator
    Free Member

29 days, 840km, used everything on the pack list except the ear cleaning thing. The tent was replaced with a 1.65kg Ferrino Lightent 2 as the bivi leaked and the Decathlon sleeping bag was replaced with a Salewa as the insulation broke up. Weight went up to 11kg before mountain sections with no shops or safe water.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Big backpack for …. ummm .. backpacking’ is closed to new replies.