Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • BFe or Alpine?
  • swisstony
    Free Member

Anyone had/ridden both?

Currently got a BFe loaner from Cotic which i really rate but i also fancy the DB Alpine, is there much between them?

ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeah, what you gonna be using them for?

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

iv had a shot on the bfe and its really good fun, the evil is pretty cool too. havnt had a shot on a db alpine but the evil is a very similar bike. its a bit more do or die me thinks. http://www.evil-bikes.com/#/undefined/news_event/000000022/Sovereigns

swisstony
    Free Member

riding around

hora
    Free Member

riding around

456 or isnt it 'boutique' enough? 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably better off with something cheaper or more xc based then, maybe an 'off the peg' specialized or similar?

But seriously, if your doing more dh type stuff Id say Alpine or if you want it for some jumps or a bit more xc then Id say BFe

swisstony
    Free Member

it will be used for anything and everything and i've got a 456 summer which i don't like and i've had a normal 456.

Looking for something in 853, nothing to do with boutique but i'm looking for quality.

Rex
    Free Member

isn't the bfe dropping the 853 for next year?

i found the alpine had quite a tall bb…but that's probably an issue for most long-forked hardtails.

why didn't you get on with the summer 456?

giantjason
    Free Member

i have an alpine i use for all day XC as well as all mountain epics and think its great.

i haven't had a chance to try a BFe though.

hicksville
    Free Member

hello daughter has/for sale a mk2 alpine, used it for riding everywhere and thought it was pretty sorted, with 140mm thors on she thought it was better than her coves or santa cruz chamelon, very direct she descibed it as being,

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I reckon the Alpine will be more similar to the SS than the BFe would be.

I had an Alpine, it was class for DH and ok for xc stuff but a bit short for me. Only downer was the highish BB, also the stays were quite long so nice and stable but not as much fun as my old dmr for larking about on.

The BFe feels a bit more nimble but the back end feels a fair bit stiffer, the Alpine was comfier. the BFe is maybe a touch steeper but hard to tell, the bb is noticeably lower and I like the shorter stays. Maybe not as solid on the downhills though but a bit better for jumps n that.

Dont know what else to add, that was dull. The Alpines paint job is more solid than the Cotics though

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks all, i'm thinking the BFe would be better (which is good, i don't think Cy would speak to me again if i gave him his bike back and then bought an Alpine!)

As for the SS i think it's too heavy and too slack, both of which i could live with but the problem is it ain't got no soul. (imho of course).

poppa
    Free Member

Just to warn you, I don't think that a BFe or Alpine will be anly lighter than a SS for the same size.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh it will

hora
    Free Member

hicksville surely it should be 50% of retail? 😕

poppa
    Free Member

Well this review says frame weight 5.4lbs: http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/on-one-456-summer-season/6366.html – although it doesn't say what size.

Compare that to 5.4lbs for a 16" BFe or ~5.5lbs for a DB Alpine.

Of course, I haven't actually weighed them myself.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh maybe your right, I always thought the SS was over 6lbs in weight

swisstony
    Free Member

the BFe is considerably lighter than the SS and i assume the alpine will be too.

hicksville
    Free Member

Hora sorry what a few weeks old mk2 alpine for 50% retail……sorry 🙄 Hora you must be thinking it is christmas………….or are you auditioning for morecambe and wise special????? 😉

poppa
    Free Member

Ah ok, you're saying that the completed bike build is lighter? Yah?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I always thought that was generally what people went by, %50 of the RRP, minus %10 for each year old or something like that.

Thing is, if your buying 2nd hand you get no warrenty, so maybe most people would prefer to spend the extra £60 or whatever and get a warrenty? **** knows, seems daft selling a frame for £180 if you've only used it for a couple of weeks though

hicksville
    Free Member

ah needs must for travelling,……………she can extend her volunteering opportunity and then travel after so needs the cash

swisstony
    Free Member

Just bought a BFe

jobbyheid
    Free Member

On One SS
    On One Summer 5.4 lbs

DB Alpine
    Alpine around 5.5 lbs

Cotic Bfe
    Bfe 5.4 lbs

Err, all the same weight I'm afraid, nowt wrong with wanting something that turns you on more though..

jimmy

£125 for an SS? No brainer to me and I'm a die hard Alpine fan.

Oh, but Alpine's are nice and short for / like me, On-ones are lanky.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Yup, my 456 SS is a bit longer than I'd like and the slacker head angle just makes it longer still, in the wheelbase.

swisstony
    Free Member

I'm suprised at that jobbyheid, i've gone for a Mk1 which is lighter than the current model but there can't be much in it.

When i strip the SS down i'll weight both frames.

I think you'd be daft to argue the SS isn't excellent vfm but i just found it too agricultural for me, i suppose you get what you pay for?

hora
    Free Member

Agree on On-ones being lanky. I'm trying a 16" next.

swisstony
    Free Member

mines just on up on the classifieds!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘BFe or Alpine?’ is closed to new replies.