Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Best Web Browser?
  • KidDynamite
    Free Member

Internet Exploder cannot be the best on offer!

What does everyone else use and why?

montylikesbeer

firefox because it is the best

Simon

Was using IE, it kept crashing. Now using Chrome, it's loads better.

tinribz
    Free Member

Firefox because it's not i.e.

And had tabs about 20 years before i.e.

And has millions of add ons.

No annoying 'have you registered' bollox.

fubar
    Free Member

Chrome….because I like it fast

ebygomm
    Free Member

Opera – because i like it

Jamie
    Free Member

Travis

cannot believe you asked the question…

rossrobot
    Free Member

+1 for chrome – starts instantly and is very stable.

theginjaninja
    Free Member

I like Safari and Chrome. Chrome reports back your browsing habits though. There's a way to disable this – just Google it.

Have to use IE at work for certain applications.

Firefox is ok but it's become bloated in recent years and looks pretty clunky IMHO. However the plugins and scripts that are available are very good. Some of the Greasemonkey scripts are invaluable.

Try them all and see how you get on. There's plenty of others out there too. As long as it's not IE 6!

TenMen
    Free Member

I've tried them all and prefer Safari, IMHO. Quick and simple and free of clutter. I hate IE with a passion, I think it's appallingly slow.

Shakey
    Free Member

I can't believe that Opera is not used by more people. I have used IE, Firefox and Chrome; IE is s**t, Firefox started off okay and then seemed slow and started to eat memory and I just don't like Chrome.

Opera is quick and also looks pretty good!

redthunder
    Free Member

Firefox

and

Opera on the Wii

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Fox is too bloated now. Chrome because it's the most invisible. I like safari lite on my iPod though.

mingsta
    Free Member

IE is utter sh*te…though it took me about 10 years to cotton on.

Tried Chrome, but couldn't get used to the interface. I'm using firefox now and it works for me. Layout/menus are fairly similar to IE but its faster and more stable.

I used to think that it was par for the course to have yer browser crash a couple of times per session until I ditched IE…basically anything other than IE is a good start!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Chrome because it's the most invisible.

??

Toasty

Chrome runs a thread per active window/Flash pane/Java applet etc, which is how it goes faster. This obviously comes at the expense of more overheads and slowing everything else down though.

Firefox here, if you don't like the addons remove them.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Safari for me, followed by camino

Can't say I've ever had any problems with IE and I'm not on the latest version. Tried FF and didn't like it – found it slow too.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I don't really mind what people use as long as it's not IE. IE (any of them) is not web standards compliant and there is a massive backlash among the webdesign community. As a result IE9 (http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/) promises to catch up to where the other browsers are now.

Personally, I use Chrome. I love it's speed, it's developer tools, and it's got some great extensions coming out for it now.

P.S. Future versions of singletrack will be phasing out support for IE6 (just like Facebook, YouTube, Amazon, and various other big sites). It will likely still be usable but we're not spending a great deal of time making it work. If you're forced to use IE6 at work then you'd better start lobbying (or use Firefox portable running from a memory stick). If you haven't got a clue what all this means have a look at http://www.whatbrowser.org

kiwijohn

Safari, since this is a mac. But I've just downloaded Camino for a look. Looks good so far if a little clunky sometimes.
    Might try Opera next. Any other obscure, mac friendly browsers?

GrahamA
    Free Member

Have you tried Mosaic?

ex-pat
    Free Member

I'll say that Opera used to be my favourite browser. If only because it synched my bookmarks between my work (XP) pc and my home (Kubuntu) pc. Was ace. Latest version is broke (on both). Not great.
    Used to have a nice feature on the toolbar that turned on/off images too. Now it's buried under a 'helpful menu item'
    So, install anything but the latest and it's great…
    One thing I will say, in Kubuntu, the default Konqueror is terrible. Kubuntu is nice though. Very good on networking and drives all round really…

jam-bo

Any other obscure, mac friendly browsers?

not obscure but chrome for mac is nice. i use it in preference to safari.

allyharp

There are definitely elements of Firefox I prefer over Chrome, but I just can't be arsed using it as it takes so much longer to start.

I like my browsing fast and simple.

Love that picture Jamie!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Lynx is the future.

Sandwich

iCab is rather funky on a Mac. Small download and quite fast. Very standards compliant because it's German and they respect that sort of thing. It also lets us know how well Tom DB is doing his job via a smiley face in the status bar or not for the home page Tom 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Firefox. Ime it starts up as quickly as the competition and like the flexibility the extensions give.

GrahamS

as long as it's not IE. IE (any of them) is not web standards compliant and there is a massive backlash among the webdesign community.

IE7 onwards isn't too bad surely. Granted it doesn't pass ACID2 but at least the box model isn't fundamentally wrong like it used to be. Obviously you need to supply a doctype in the HTML to set it to "standards mode" though. I see STW is "quirks mode" which won't help.

Firefox. Ime it starts up as quickly as the competition and like the flexibility the extensions give.

http://lifehacker.com/5457242/browser-speed-tests-firefox-36-chrome-4-opera-105-and-extensions

Chrome and Opera are faster from a cold start, but we're talking about a 2-3 second difference on something I do once a day at most, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal.

kiwijohn

Icab is a bit meh.
    Flock looks nice, but a lot of mac trackpad features don't work.
    Navigator is a bit tired now.
    Might try Lynx next. Or maybe not

.duncan
    Free Member

i like opera, mouse gestures revolutionised my browsing.

Tom
    Free Member

I use both Firefox and Chrome but I tend to use Firefox in preference to Chrome due to Chrome's unusual text selection behaviour. That's the only reason. The speed differences are unnoticeable. The compliance and rendering differences are unnoticeable. Any other differences are unnoticeable. But I can't deal with Chrome's text selection behaviour. Try them all. YMMV.

konabunny
    Free Member

Chrome but would be better if I could find out how to kill ads – Google likes ads.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Chrome because it's the most invisible."

I'll say it feels less intrusive, doesn't draw attention to itself much; minimalist. A bit like the Google search page compared with all the old ones.

aracer
    Free Member

If you're forced to use IE6 at work then you'd better start lobbying (or use Firefox portable running from a memory stick).

Except the latter would still be against out rules, and it's pretty straightforward for them to tell you're doing that if they're so inclined.

Chrome but would be better if I could find out how to kill ads

It now has extensions like FF – I'll say no more on that, as we're not supposed to discuss this sort of thing on here.

I'm currently using both IE (6,7 and 8 ) and FF as part of my job, and I have to say that IE is a complete load of rubbish – even 8. Ridiculously slow, non-compliant and completely refuses to render some stuff which has slight problems with format which FF is fine with. I use Chrome at home, though would happily use FF – there are only slight advantages one way or another.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I like Chrome for its synched bookmarks – handy if you use a number of different computers.
    I also like some of the new add ons for example the ad blocker and the IE tab tool which is particularly useful for my work webmail system which only allows full featured access via IE

Basically, try a few alternatives and see which you like best. I am sure that you will find all of them better than IE

Rich
    Free Member
    Haze

Chrome (thanks Mr Bethel)

Took a couple of hours getting used to it after coming from Firefox, but I really like it. Particularly the ability to sync bookmarks between work & home without having to log into 3rd part apps 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

I generally prefer to use Chrome but there's a fair few sites that either don't render properly or some of the functionality in them gets broken.

br
    Free Member

I'm currently using both IE (6,7 and 8 ) and FF as part of my job, and I have to say that IE is a complete load of rubbish – even 8. Ridiculously slow, non-compliant and completely refuses to render some stuff which has slight problems with format which FF is fine with

I use to manage a web team, we produced standard consumer and B2B sites. If the website didn't work with IE it wasn't compliant, end of discussion, because 90% of JoePublic and JoeCorporateUser use IE.

Once we implemented a new website for B2B in Norway, I knew it was going live the next day, but available on the URL from 10pm. I logged on my old home PC and couldn't access the site – rang up my lead tech to find out the problem. Turns out it didn't like IE… He was up all night fixing that one, and another step was added to the test program (check all browsers, not just the ones Techie's use).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Best Web Browser?’ is closed to new replies.