Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Best way to heat one room?
  • tlr

Second attempt at posting….

I work from my home office all day – rather than having the heating on full for the sake of one room, what are my other options?

Electric fan, Oil filled radiator, fire pit?

3phase
    Free Member

Oil radiator on a timer so the room is warm when you start work and off when you finish.

gobuchul
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep oil filled rad is the simple way.

nickjb
    Free Member

Depends on the room an how comfortable you want it.  A fan will be cheaper as you can point it at yourself and only heat the local area. Turn it on when you are in there and off when you go out. An oil filled rad on a timer is nicer as it’ll heat the whole room but it will need to be on longer, more like mini central heating. Obviously an extra jumper is the first thing but that often isn’t enough. Personally I prefer a fan as I can dress warm, see if that is enough, then flick the fan on if it isn’t.

tomhoward

Put a wooly jumper on?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Not used one, but have a look at infra red panel heaters

a11y

Would using an oil-filled radiator be more efficient in energy usage than a smart heating controller that’s heating just one room only, e.g. something like the Drayton Wiser with remotes on all radiators? Ignoring purchase costs for the moment.

kelvin

Get a pet pig.

cheers_drive

Simple oil rad with a smart plug set to office hours and to turn it off if you go out.

molgrips
    Free Member

In my house if I close the door me and my computer are enough to keep it warm when the rest of the house is cold.

If it weren’t, I’d have an oil rad because they are a hell of a lot quieter than a fan and efficiency should be the same.

tlr

“Get a pet pig”

I like that idea – although I believe the traditional method was to fill the room below with cattle so their rising heat provided warmth for the room – a load of cows will look lovely in the lounge!

Failing that I will look at oil rads.

hols2
    Free Member

infra red panel heaters

This. Much better than radiators or fans.

lotto
    Free Member

Log burner.

drlex
    Free Member

Pfft! Don’t waste money heating a room; magnetron from a old microwave and heat the occupants directly instead*.

*don’t do this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Elec is ~4* the price of gas, you could try turning all your other rads down, you’d still have 2 on tho.

Fans have no thermostat, and all electric heaters are 100% efficient.

sandwicheater

Working from home you say, are you just not wan***g enough?

cheers_drive

If like me you get cold feet an electric mat does a good job and is cheap to run

fossy

Oil radiator with timer/temp control. We use one in the conservatory.

singletrackmind

AT one job we have a 1600w rotating hlaogen heater , its a Daewoo branded thing. You can run it on 1, 2 , 3or 4 panels . 400watts  each, but I have found that 1 heats up the tea rom very well so well i was thinking of buying 1 for spare/ super cold days

senorj

Star jumps,do a set of ten before you enter the room and repeat through out the day when cold.

worked for my grandad.:-)

Aidy
    Free Member

I reckon gas is cheaper enough than electricity that in a small house, you might as well heat it all as heat one room via electricity. Turn down the thermostats of the rads in other rooms, perhaps.

For larger houses, some sort of zoned heating is where it’s at.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cheapest zoned heating system. As above, Drayton wiser, maybe? but also look at Tado and Evohome. In a small to med size house you can just zone the main rooms and turn down the TRV’s in the sub rooms. Big house might be financially viable to zone every room. Whatever the case, this is probs going to be the more expensive option compared to doing star jumps et al, but they are really good, and you get all the remote access and geolocation based on/off commands bla  bla via your phone etc etc.

myti
    Free Member

Onesie! You can thank me later.

doomanic

A candle. If it gets really cold you can light it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Remember when folk make a YouTube video all thermodynamic laws are broke and the time space continumium bends

Flower pot heater is mathematically impossible in anything but a passive Haus and even then you’d be lucky to raise it more than a couple of degrees

raybanwomble
    Free Member

A bitcoin miner (as it should at least cover the energy costs) and tossing off.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

To add to what trail rat said regarding the flower pot/candle silliness you also get soot and various carcinogenic by products wafting around your room.

Re bit coin: actually looked at that a few years back, didn’t add up then (not even break even) certainly won’t now particularly when you take into account hardware costs

hooli

I just use an oil filled rad under my desk with the door closed, I CBA to work out the costs per hour to run but my electricity bill doesn’t seem much different month so month despite me working at home full time some months and then being on site for other months.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Turbo trainer. 😉

johndoh
    Free Member
    kayak23

Body heat is your answer. Cheap too.

Try inviting lots of people in off the street to stand around near you. You can make it warmer by getting them to move around a bit..

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Best way to heat one room?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM