Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Best tips for a newbie. (trail centre content)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So bro in law has finally delved into the world of full suss! Taking him to Cannock trail centre on Sunday for his first proper outing! I’m not a very good teacher, because I’m selfish, and don’t want to be pootling on the down bits after nearly popping a lung getting up there!
    So in the words of stw what’s the best advice I can give him on Sunday morning whilst on the journey there, other than “enjoy yourself”

GW
    Free Member

take it back and get a hardtail?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nah he’s a 14 stoner, it will break him!!! 😀

Basil

Think hedgehog not starfish

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t be a c0ck, ride with him.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah I thought that ds! But in all honesty what are good tips for a new rider?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

START SAVING, IT’S AN EXPENSIVE PREOCCUPATION.

Gordy
    Free Member

Look ahead. Weight back on steep bits, drops etc. Don’t hit the front brake if you shit yourself on a really steep bit. Put the seat down a wee bit.

Try to stay relaxed and let the bike run without fighting it all the time. Try to maintain momentum through obstacles/sections, particularly the exits. Don’t go in too hot, hit the brakes and then crawl slowly out of the corner.

That’s the advice I could have done with I think.

HTH.

Cougar

Head up, look where you’re going. Don’t be in too high a gear, it’s not a competition. Slow in, fast out.

Gordy
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t pump your tyres up too hard.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yeah I thought that ds! But in all honesty what are good tips for a new rider?

If they have the correct kit let them ride at their own pace, don’t push them. If he doesn’t feel confident doing something, let him walk. If his kit doesn’t look good enough, carry some spares for him. When I said ride with him I mean with him, don’t go charging off ahead then waiting. Finish together and feel warm inside that even if he doesn’t get hooked, he had fun.

emsz
    Free Member

Best advice my dad gave me before riding round Cymcarn was “don’t brake over the rough bits” and “if slowing down isn’t helping go faster!!”

_tom_
    Free Member

Weight back on steep bits, drops etc.

Hanging off the back on drops isn’t good.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it’s his first time, do you really feel the need to race away ahead of him all the time? There’s nothing worse than slogging up a hill watching your mate slowly getting further and further away. Here’s an idea: let him get up before you and make out like your knackered when you get up a few seconds after him.

On the downhill bits, let him have a go first sometimes – and if you’re going to blast off, then explain why – wait and watch him through – maybe even give him some tips. Hope he enjoys it. 🙂

Cougar’s “slow in, fast out” is a good tip.

emsz
    Free Member

Cougar’s “slow in, fast out” is a good tip.

don’t understand 😕

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice work fellas, I tried to explain the best way to tackle a drop off to mate previously and I just couldn’t explain what I do to get it right for me!
    Oh and he’s hooked already after a brief blast a few months back on mine and a quick hr last night on his new toy!!

nonk
    Free Member

they be talking about corners emsz.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As in brake on the way in and accelerate out – similar to what you’re supposed to do in a car (I think 😕 …awaiting correction from a petrolhead).

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and Dd he’ll be the one at the top first, he’s been putting 10/15 milers in on his hybrid every morning for months now!! 😥

TuckerUK
    Free Member

they be talking about corners emsz.

Although… 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Head up, look where you’re going. Don’t be in too high a gear, it’s not a competition. Slow in, fast out.

Look where you WANT to go, not where you are going. Ie; if you see a rock then look around it not AT it – look at it and you will plough into it.

Gordy
    Free Member

I’ve heard that advice a lot but I often manage to look at things without crashing into them.

Am I the only person who doesn’t have a tractor beam coming out of each eye?

😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

elbows and knees bent. look where you want to go.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah it can be done Gordy but for a newbie it is useful advice.

Lifer
    Free Member

If he’s worried about steepness, heels down.

Northwind

Just relax, and to take his time. Stop if he wants, walk if he wants. Don’t rush into things.

And heels down (and if he’s a proper noob, stand up, soft knees… I spent half a day following my brother around at Learnie shouting STAND UP HEELS DOWN RELAX LOOK FURTHER AHEAD STAND UP BEND KNEES RELAX ARMS HEELS DOWN LOWER GEAR STAND UP SLOW DOWN RELAX. Relaxing probably became quite hard :mrgreen:

falkirk-mark

fast rebound on forks and slow rebound on shock then work in from that.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Interesting that last one mark, I’ve revved his forks up to fast rebound but not slowed the rear down! Why is that better??

rOcKeTdOg

My advice for cannock would be, buy a riding permit online before you go and avoid the queues at the kiosk

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

shouting STAND UP HEELS DOWN RELAX LOOK FURTHER AHEAD STAND UP BEND KNEES RELAX ARMS HEELS DOWN LOWER GEAR STAND UP SLOW DOWN RELAX. Relaxing probably became quite hard

Good point.

Give some advice a few times during the ride but let him get on with it in between.

Follow him down some stuff so you can watch him – also, riding very slowly can be a good learning experience – it’s easy to use speed to get through things (I don’t know the trails at Cannock – this could just be very very dull)

_tom_
    Free Member

My advice for cannock would be, buy a riding permit online before you go and avoid the queues at the kiosk

You have to buy a permit to ride there now? Last time I went it was just pay and display parking.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s a stock wind up that one Tom!!

falkirk-mark

Interesting that last one mark, I’ve revved his forks up to fast rebound but not slowed the rear down! Why is that better??

If he goes up a ramp and the rear compresses with a slower rebound the back end of the bike is less likely to ‘kick up’

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

When my Dad took me out for my first ride he told me to “Go BIG or go home”. It’s the best bit of advice he ever gave me.

Cougar

Look where you WANT to go, not where you are going.

Good point, well made. That’s what I meant, but I didn’t write it very well.

don’t understand

Coming up to a corner, it’s better (easier, safer, faster) to scrub the speed you need to get round it before you reach it, rather than going in with your head on fire then trying to slow down when you’re on the apex of a bend and suddenly realise you’re going far too fast. Similarly with other ‘hazards’, you need some momentum to get you through but it’s usually better to moderate your speed beforehand rather than have to do it during.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

if your going to cannock be patient, it gets busy and take plenty of coffee and cake tokens

ski
    Free Member

Cannock is a great place to take him, good choice,

only other advice I would add, apart from relax and enjoy

Would be make sure his bike is properly set up if its a new bike, check brakes are set up correctly, tires are at the right TP, quick releases are tight, gears are selecting correctly and bars and stem are tensioned up correctly, plus saddle height.

That way he will not hopefully be fighting against a porly set up bike.

& don’t race off on the first climb & DH, match his pace, enjoy.

Watching a new rider getting the buzz from riding for the first time, is a very special thing to experience, brings back memories for you too, enjoy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ha ha bike set up!!! I’ve emailed him a link to this page and that comment will make him chuckle!!
    It’s a 2nd hand bike and has come with the brake levers opposite handed WTF!!! The only thing I can accredit this to is it was bought from someone in Scotland 😆
    And he’s booked it in for a quick service today so all will be rosy!!

binners

When my Dad took me out for my first ride he told me to “Go BIG or go home”. It’s the best bit of advice he ever gave me.

So after some handy pointers with the ladies, did he pass on any advice about riding? 😉

thebunk

Seat down, heels down, head up, knees and elbows relaxed, enjoy. Let him rest at the top!

nth letting him go first, don’t buzz his tyre! Follow him for a bit, but if you want a faster run, what I do with slower riders is count to 40-60 and then see how quickly I can catch them up…

Oh, grippy shoes if he’s got flat pedals. Lend him some knee pads for a bit of security maybe.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Best tips for a newbie. (trail centre content)’ is closed to new replies.