Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best multi-tool?
  • cuberider
    Free Member

Hunting for a good lightweight multi-tool for road and mountain.

Interested to know people’s opinions on what functions are needed and what’s not. For example, is it really necessary to include a chain tool or torque key?

RustyMac

I have had one of these topeak ones for the past 2-3 years, only use it for mountain biking but it has been great.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-hexus-ii-16-function-multi-tool/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk&gclid=CNSg96KGgLICFeTHtAodVmoAIQ

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, another vote for the Topeak Hexus here. Great piece of kit.

StirlingCrispin

Crank Bros Multi-17.

Everything on the Multi-17 is essential IMO (chain tool etc). Also carry tyre levers, Park tube patches, zip ties, rapid chain link, and a pump.

Have the Rocket Ratchet too. Crap as a bike tool but superb for assembling flat pack furniture.

cuberider
    Free Member

Silly money but anyone seen on of these? 96gms!

avdave2

Also very happy with the Hexus.

PaulD
    Free Member

Topeak Hummer/Hexus and a Gerber Vise covers everything I want on the trail (apart from an assistant to fettle whilst I watch).

Just make sure the tyre/rim combo can be separated with whatever you get on the tool..or carry extra levers that work (may need to be metal reinforced). Finding out on the trail is never a good idea.

PaulD

edlong
    Free Member

Personally, I find a separate chain breaker easier to use than one attached to a multi-tool, and also easier to stuff a smaller multitool and a separate chain tool into the pockets of the Camelbak than a monster of a multitool.

cuberider
    Free Member

This one is pretty innovative – integrated into the skewers.

PaulD
    Free Member

The Pedro tool is interesting, but I would be constantly moving it from bike to bike unless I buy a dozen.

May be flimsy…the Hummer is not.

I have found the Topeak chaintools on the Hummer, Multi-16 and Alien to be excellent and perfectly good in the field.

Whatever you buy, put it in a waterproof bag….sweat is salty and corrodes these 13% Chromium steel tools easily.

You pays your money…..

PaulD

ac282

Hexus/hummer is good. This is also good and a bit lighter/more shiny

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CSBC080500&gclid=CJHSl_eHgLICFYFlfAoduWAACg

piemann
    Free Member

Another vote for the Crank Bros multi-tools. Every other CB product I’ve had has been rubbish, but the multi-tools are excellent.

vorsprung
    Free Member

I have an Alien RX and a newer Hexus
    The Alien’s has various allen keys, a chain tool, slot/cross screwdrivers, one tyre lever, spoke keys and THE MOST USEFUL ONE a very sharp knife
    The Hexus has a wider range of allen keys, a chainsplitter, t25 torx slot/cross screwdrivers, no knife but has two tyre levers
    Both are about the same weight, approx 180g

FuzzyWuzzy

Whatever you buy check it can reach all your bolts/screws before you disappear on a ride. I’ve got half a dozen multi-tools and none can reach the saddle clamp bolt on one bike or the front mech limit screws (only found the latter after a cable snap and not being able to easily force it onto a specific ring). I take a normal allen key separately for the saddle clamp bolt. May be overkill but still worth checking it can reach (due to the stubby/bulky ends on multi-tools) what you want it to.

Northwind

Topeak Hexus, without a doubt… Best design for sure, in terms of simplicity and usability. Could be a little better made, it rusts quite easily and can get a wee bit loose. But all the tools are useful and reasonably durable, the chainbreaker’s excellent (better than most workshop ones…). The tyre levers are a bit poor but they’re essentially a free extra. Oh, and it’s well priced

Topeak Ratchet Rocket is a really nice wee tool but not as useful as a cycling tool IME, wee bit fiddly and lacks reach for some bolts.

Lezyne’s are all beautifully engineered and lovingly made… So it’s a shame they don’t actually work very well. A Topeak/Lezyne collaboration would be the business.

Frankers
    Free Member

How do you use the chain tool on the Hexus, it looks like you have to use a seperate allen key ??

Northwind

There’s a wee allen key in one of the tyre levers- seems cludgy but works very well.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Hexus

chives
    Free Member

Crank Bros multi 19 here. The chain tool works well (it’s the only one I have so it’s seen about 5 chain changes or so no problem).

singletracksurfer

Always liked topeak the best. Current one has everything and it all works.
    Only annoying thing is 8mm hex key cap fits on the 5mm key so you have to keep taking it on and off

aphex_2k
    Free Member

CB 17 & Leatherman Charge Ti + bit kit + bit driver extender. Perfect combo for me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, you won’t beat a Topeak Hexus. The chain tool on them is literally the best I’ve ever used, they are cheap, and have every tool you are likely to need, and good quality. No point in spending a penny more. 🙂

kimbers

I got a Scott ct tool when I left mine at home one time
    14 quid with a very good chain tool and t25 along with Allen keys etc

dantsw13

Having been one of the crisis mechanics in our ride group, I would say the essential items on a multitool are:

Allen keys
    Flat/Phillips drivers
    T25
    Tyre levers
    Chain tool

Nice to have:
    Blade
    Pliers
    Scissors

Chain tool doesn’t have to be perfect, just enough to break a chain and put in a quicklink.

neninja
    Free Member

Another CB17 here – can’t fault it

yunki
    Free Member

having trouble seeing past a fatspanner slimbo 8 with a seperate chain tool and tyre leavers..

Basil

CB19, Works great,have used the chain tool lots. Just tape 2 Park Tool wide tyre levers to it.
    What I have noticed is that over time I add more and more “vital” equipment to my kit. I am now sat here skinning out all the extras out!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best multi-tool?’ is closed to new replies.