Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bent gear hanger
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I have a bent gear hanger on a Trek X01 crossbike, any clues on how to identify which one I need and where to source?

Cheers in advance

molgrips
    Free Member

Call Trek?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member
    136stu
    Free Member

Take it off and put it in a vice between 2 peices of wood.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Buy a new one before you use 136stu’s suggestion, that way you’ll have a spare.

thepurist

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-pro-gear-hanger-alignment-tool-1/

30 quid will get better results than squashing it in a vice

Onzadog
    Free Member

How bent is it?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

The mech just about can touch the spokes.
    I have oredered one of these

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trek-gear-hanger-990116.html#aW990116

I think I may bend it back using my a part of friend Diggers anatomy who was riding it and popped a wheelie on the Tweed Run in May….

Ita beauty of a bike; was second hand; Shimano Ultegra, Chris King headset, a very expensive carbon fork, new mini v’s, Thomson seatpost and stem. Fulcrum wheels

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Can I just add the numptey fell off, he had 5 pints, but thats not an excuse.

redmex
    Free Member

Broke my Titus hanger 6 weeks ago £35 in the UK shops to replace but I bought the last 3 from amazon usa for less than £30 delivered including import tax. Wheels 218 hangers may make a pair of ear rings as it looks much better made, stronger and only the two drilled holes not the 3rd that was the weak point and failed. Delivery only 5 weeks although estimated date was 31st of December

timbog160

Get an alignment tool anyway – sometimes even new ones can be bent..!

oldnpastit

I’ve bent back removable hangers without any ill effects. It’s quite a lot cheaper than buying a replacement. An alignment tool is a big help though.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 for the alignment tool. One of those tools you use very rarely but when you need it …

If you don’t already have a spare mech hanger then get one, once bent then they are a fair bit weaker and a second bash is unlikely to be repairable – I snapped mine even being really, really careful on the second straighten (but it could also have had a bend/straighten from the previous owner).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bent gear hanger’ is closed to new replies.