Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • ****** beardy ******* cyclist.
  • aracer
    Free Member

Provide evidence please. I would seriously like to see it, as I’ve found nowt to suggest this is the case.

Did you miss HC rule 155 being quoted earlier? Just in case, here it is again:

Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So not pulling over is breaking the law? It does not in any way say one MUST pull over to let traffic past, does it? As I said earlier- did the cyclist consider that pulling over was safe or not? We don’t know owt but Glupton’s ranty account, which is probbly biased in his favour, let’s face it. I’m suspecting that this isn’t simply a case of the cyclist being a ****, based on some of Glupton’s previous posts.

AND HOW LONG WAS HE HELD UP FOR??????????????

Anyway’s up- take it easy, eat some avocados, and reflect that life ain’t really all that bad.

Come on, something like this is so trivial, compared to what some people on this Earth have to endure.

What would you do, if faced with a real problem? 🙄

CountZero

I am kinda with smee on this, as there are lots of singletrack roads in North Wilts where I live. I drive and cycle along them a lot, and if I’m on the bike, and hear a car behind, (not always obvious, with tyre and wind noise), then at the first opportunity I pull in, mainly because it makes me nervous having a car sitting right behind me, and I rather expect the same courtesy to be returned. It’s called being polite, something I was brought up to be, and expect the same, like holding doors open, and I feel it’s just ignorant otherwise. It’s just the way us iggerant yokels are, unlike you sophisticated city boys.
    (edit)
    Oh yeah, I’ve got a beard, sort of, and a singlespeed, and one of those funny skinny tyres things, as well. Guess that makes me even more guilty.
    And I couldn’t give a toss, either.

aracer
    Free Member

Is that Rudeboy speak for “sorry I got it wrong, please accept my humblest apologies”?

Smee
    Free Member

Rudeboy – Inconsiderate pricks are a real problem. Get rid of those and you get world peace. 😀

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

RudeBoy

Provide evidence please. I would seriously like to see it, as I’ve found nowt to suggest this is the case.

‘Etiquette and convention’ = bugger all in a Court of Law.

Careless or inconsiderate driving is an offence.

From Motor defence team.

(Careless Driving)

The Offence
    While this is generally referred to as careless driving, the Road Traffic Act 1988 creates two offences:

Careless Driving; and

Inconsiderate Driving.

For offences committed prior to 24 September 2007 the prosecution need to prove that your driving fell below the standard expected of a competent and careful driver in all the circumstances. Additionally, inconsiderate driving would be proved if other persons were inconvenienced as a result of the manner of driving. Breach of the Highway Code is a standard example of driving without due care and attention.

From 24 September 2007 the definitions were updated. For careless driving it is still necessary to show that your driving fell below that expected of a competent driver, but they specifically look at the circumstances surrounding the offence and overall that you either knew or should have known of. For inconsiderate driving they have to show that someone was actually inconvenienced.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

For inconsiderate driving they have to show that someone was actually inconvenienced.

Driving. Does this apply to cycling? And why aren’t more tractor divers nicked, then? 😀 And you’d need to prove you were ‘inconvenienced’. I somehow doubt ‘I was delayed for a minute or two’ would hold a lot of weight in court…

Ah well, if you feel that strongly about it, Glupton, why haven’t you reported this heinous cime? Blimey, this bloke might be a serial ‘not puller over’. Best you get down the Cop Shop smartish, just in case he does it to another poor innocent motorist.

Is that Rudeboy speak for “sorry I got it wrong, please accept my humblest apologies”?

Go what rong?

I’m assuming you lot all drive exactly according to every single law of the road, never drive above the speed limit, and are always courteous to all other road users…

.. and live in a beautiful world full of unicorns and rainbows, where everyone is happy all the time.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Thanks for the entertainment, btw! Makes up for not having a telly!

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should
    try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well
    be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake
    not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

aracer
    Free Member

So not pulling over is breaking the law? It does not in any way say one MUST pull over to let traffic past, does it?

No, not explicitly breaking the law given the lack of a MUST – obviously the lawmakers didn’t feel the need for a specific law to cover this particular eventuality. However the point was that they were in breach of the highway code, and as GNARGNAR pointed out that can easily be used to prosecute.

BTW I take back my previous about you backing down – obviously not the case after you completely rewrote your post removing all of the original text I was replying to (and I was too late to edit mine). Isn’t it just a little silly and immature using the edit to completely erase what you wrote in the first place and replace with something totally different after somebody else has already replied?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, not explicitly breaking the law

Thank you.

Behave yourself. I added stuff, not deleted it!

Seriously, relax. You’ve pulled up certain bits of the HC (not all of which is Law, btw; a lot is merely advice/guidelines), and I’ve countered them. I did mention earlier, what fun it is to play Devils’ Canapé, but that seems to have been lost on some of you.. 🙂

Point I’m making, is that Glupton shooduv saved himself the stress, and just waited. He’s achieved nowt, by getting wound up.

And such a case would get nowhere legally. The cyclist could just claim Glupton was driving aggressively- bingo; his word against Glupton’s, no witnesses, bye bye.

Cocoa, anyone?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

RudeBoy

Driving. Does this apply to cycling? And why aren’t more tractor divers nicked, then? And you’d need to prove you were ‘inconvenienced’. I somehow doubt ‘I was delayed for a minute or two’ would hold a lot of weight in court…

It would almost certainly apply to any vehicle on the road. The same way the offence of drink driving can be applied to cyclists. More tractor drivers aren’t arrested because a) people dont report them and b) policing is relatively low key on rural roads.

FWIW there was a case recently in the Republic of Ireland where a tractor driver was banned from driving for 12 months for holding up a queue of cars behind him, one of which was a police car. He apparently failed to pull in at 6 potential places. The rules of the road in Ireland are virtually identical to the uk.

In that case the Judge took particular exception to the fact that the farmer “acted in an arrogant and individualistic manner” and “forced others to drive at 15 mph”

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bored now.

Night.

(Gets confused by post below)

(Predicts that someone will post something I supposedly said, then deleted, to try and win points, but all they will achieve is a massive FAIL because I already know that they will do that. Hence, if anyone, say Gnargnar, for example, posts something I supposedly posted then deleted, they will be making it up, and look a bit foolish)

aracer
    Free Member

The same way the offence of drink driving can be applied to cyclists.

Really? How many drivers ever get prosecuted for an offence of drink driving which can also be applied to cyclists?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

RudeBoy –
    It seems yet again I am out of my depth in the face of some factual information as opposed to my own speculation. I am sick of having to edit and re-edit my posts on the fly to make them seem somewhat relevant so I’ll just feign boredom in order to save some face.

Night.

Fair enough.

aracer –

Really? How many drivers ever get prosecuted for an offence of drink driving which can also be applied to cyclists?

Drunk in charge of a vehicle. Applies to any vehicle, I thought.

aracer
    Free Member

Where did you get that Rudeboy posting auto-translator?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL!

Quote functions good, innit? You can say all sorts, and pretend someone else said it!

I’ll have a go:

GNARGNAR – Member
    You’re just too good to be true
    Can’t take my eyes off of you
    You’d be like heaven to touch
    I wanna hold you so much
    At long last love has arrived
    And I thank God I’m alive

Pardon the way that I stare
    There’s nothing else to compare
    The sight of you leaves me weak
    There are no words left to speak
    So if you feel like I feel
    Please let me know that it’s real

I love you baby and if it’s quite all right
    I need you baby to warm the lonely nights
    I love you baby, trust in me when I say
    Oh pretty baby, don’t bring me down I pray

Oh pretty baby, now that I’ve found you stay
    And let me love you baby, let me love you

You’d be like heaven to touch
    I wanna hold you so much
    At long last love has arrived
    And I thank God I’m alive

WOW! Stunning!

aracer
    Free Member

Drunk in charge of a vehicle. Applies to any vehicle, I thought.

It does, but that’s not exactly what drivers get done for.

I think I’ve worked this one out – I just append

Rudeboy – Member
    A load of twaddle

to any post I make on a thread where he’s participating?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

aracer

It does, but that’s not exactly what drivers get done for.

Oh I’m just confused now, I was just replying to Rudeboy’s speculation that inconsiderate driving might not apply to cyclists because it says cycling, not driving.

Was speculating myself that the offence of drunk in control of a motor vehicle can also apply to a boat or a bike etc, it’s just a case of changing the wording. Maybe I am simplifying.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll put you out of your misery – the relevant section which motorists get done for says:

If a person …. is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence

ie it’s being over the limit, not being drunk. There is no equivalent law for cyclists – you’re quite within your rights to refuse a breath test.

Probably being rather pedantic, as the point you’re attempting to back up with this is correct – it’s just this is something where the law is specifically only relating to motor vehicles (speeding in restricted areas is another, though IIRC you can get done for exceeding the NSL on a bicycle 😀 )

I wonder how long before somebody jumps in to claim a gratuitous 100 – still lurking, Fred?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I’ll put you out of your misery – the relevant section which motorists get done for says:
    If a person …. is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence

ie it’s being over the limit, not being drunk. There is no equivalent law for cyclists – you’re quite within your rights to refuse a breath test.

Interesting. I wonder do the majority of police officers know that, I’d imagine they would figure out a way to badger you into taking some form of sobriety test – like threaten to arrest you for breach of the peace if you didnt or such like.

aracer
    Free Member

They’re perfectly entitled to ask you to take some sort of sobriety test – that is after all the only means they have of “proving” whether you’re drunk in the absence of a breath test – just not to breathalise you (or at least a refusal can’t be held against you). If you can still walk in a straight line and touch your nose with your eyes shut after 5 pints then you’re untouchable.

Have we steered this totally OT yet?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Hopefully I wont be cycling drunk again anytime soon. Last time I attempted it the wife found me slumped in the kitchen, food hanging out of my mouth, clothes and skin ripped to shreds…..I couldnt walk let alone cycle but that didnt deter me from trying….I fell off. A lot.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Not allowing a driver to pass might be naughty but it’s a perfectly proper way of safe assertive cycling, check National Standard. Smee, you’d have no chance in Central London or anywhere where properly trained cyclists ride. None of my trainees will let a car hooting at them pass, no way Jose!
    If someone is running for a gap because they’re scared of a car behind – get trained. You are less of a man and more of a sissy.
    Lastly, you cannot be done for cycling under the influence of alcohol. Dangerous/inconsiderate cycling – yes, drink cycling – nope. Hence loads of pub crawls with bikes around here.

Smee
    Free Member

Hairychested – correct me if i’m wrong but the last time I was in London I didn’t see much in the way of rural singletrack roads.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hairychested – wrong on both counts. On single track roads slower vehicles are advised to pull in to let faster ones past and not doing so can and often is an offence of inconsiderate driving. People have been prosecuted for not allowing faster drivers to pass. This is totally different from being in London. A single track road is different as overtaking is never possible without the co operation of the person being overtaken.

There are two offences with regard to drunk driving. Driving with a blood alcohol level above the threshold – that applies to motor vehicles only but also the offence of driving while unfit thru drink or drugs for which there is no threshold level and that applies to cycles, horses, and any wheeled vehicle on thee road

juan
    Free Member

I haven’t read it all so sorry if it has only been posted…

But was the road going uphill? How long where the passing places?

The real question is where the passing places long enough to allow you to overtake the cyclist without him having to slow down or stop.

If not I think you have not right to complain…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Juan – nothing to do with how long the passing places are. the uphill bit might have some bearing tho in terms of politeness.

Single track roads in the highlands are a special case – if the cyclist does not let the car past the car could be stuck behind him for 20+ miles hence the signs as above and hence the fact that people have been prosecuted for not allowing cars to pass.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is their journey more important than mine, or their need to get past me more important than my safety?

Well both journeys are equally important. However as a cyclist, pulling over on a climb takes only a few seconds, where as being stuck behind someone winching themselves up a climb could well cost minutes. So the cyclist should therefore pull over in all fairness.

If someone is running for a gap because they’re scared of a car behind – get trained. You are less of a man and more of a sissy.

I hope this is a joke. Otherwise, I will never come to you for cycling instruction! I pull over not because I’m scared, but because I’m nice. Is that ok? Or would proper training get rid of that particular weakness?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Heh! This one still going?

Loving the armchair lawyers on here! even arguing amongst themselves!

We haven’t actually ascertained that this particular cyclist was actually breaking any law, really, given the somewhat slanted account given to us by Glupton.

if the cyclist does not let the car past the car could be stuck behind him for 20+ miles

That, I can understand. That would be well out of order. But that wasn’t the case here, was it?

I have repeatedly asked Glupton how long was he actually held up for, but so far, he’s refused to actually provide an answer.

The reality; Glupton was held up for a teensy bit, by a cyclist who praps mightuv pulled over to let him pass. Glupton, a person known for his impatience and occasional over-reaction, got pissed off and started beeping his horn. S’possible the cyclist took this as an aggressive act, and decided not to let Glupton pass, to ‘teach him a lesson’.

Glupton gets all het up about this, gets his knickers all coiled up to the point of garotting, and then comes on here to vent his spleen.

S’not a big deal. Worse things happen at sea.

Personally, I’m more concerned with the two chances I missed last night , when in front of goal. I think I need to work on my composure, as I snatched at both attempts. And I concede I’ll have to go some, to repeat my last game’s Romario-esque wonder strike; cross in from left, took down with me right, smashed it in with me left peg. Good night Vienna.

Did almost score with a looping header, but just off the crossbar.

And we wooduv had more, if their keeper weren’t so fat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rudey – the debate should be about road behaviour, not whether or not the OP was right or wrong, don’t you think?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No. That’s boring.

I’m more concerned that we had 3 good players out last night, and one of our best ones has a foot injury.

Mind, some encouraging signs; Good, solid defence kept them out very well. Considering their superior skill levels, it’s a wonder we won at all.

aracer
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member
    A load of rubbish about some stupid sport nothing to do with cycling or singletrack roads

Get your own thread, Rudeboy – then we can all just ignore you.

avdave2

I don’t know where you passed him Smee you kept the exact details of your own actions very vague, why we can only speculate about. So did he pull over at the third passing place or did you pass him safely on the road.

poly
    Free Member

Smee – thought you might be interested that yesterday I found myself in the position of the cyclist in the story. Your thread was on my mind.

I didn’t pull in at the first passing place as it was a steep hill, if I had stopped it would have been very difficult to get moving again. Driver didn’t sound horn – he had seen me check over my shoulder and so knew I was aware he was there. When I pulled in at the next one – I got a polite wave and a little hoot.

Further up the road same thing happened again. Again I was on a steep hill and maintaining my momentum was more important than maintaining his. When I glanced back at this driver – he obviously thought I felt pressured by him as he dropped back. Again he waved politely when he finally got past.

Of course I also waved politely to acknowledge their patience. All-in-all a very pleasant experience of shared road use on a quiet scottish country road!

Smee
    Free Member

And your point is what? My route had no hills and no reason not to pull into the passing places. Passing places were long enough and wide enough to allow me to pass with no negative effect on their speed or safety – IF they had used them.

crikey
    Free Member

Gluptonesque: a posting technique involving the invention or extrapolation of a situation, with care given to ensure that the said situation may provoke one of two opposing viewpoints. Best undertaken by posting then waiting for the almost inevitable squabble, which is then sustained by occasional interjections to maintain the seemingly recalcitrant position taken by the original poster.

See: ‘Left in the dust’, ‘my child fell so I hit him’ etc.

Length: Often over 100 posts, serving to;

a) bolster the already inflated ego, and

b) amaze and astound those who know what’s going on….

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘****** beardy ******* cyclist.’ is closed to new replies.