Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Bear Grylls – 9pm tonight
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

I reckon Ray also searched Burger King, Mcdonalds and KFC just in case.

Oi, don’t knock the Mears, totally different character I love his programs.

rattie79
    Free Member

It was good to see some of Yorkshires best bits on the box, but the bloke is a div.
    I read one of his book’s while thinking he was alright (can’t remember which one) and it told of his mad uni day’s, touring OAP care homes with James Blunt or Blunty as he called him and singing to the poor codgers.
    Dear god, the stuff of nightmares.

cchris2lou

I though last night program was an excellent advert for Yorkshire.
    I have never been there and it looks really good.

martinhutch

It was harmless enough stuff. Even Bear looked somewhat underwhelmed by picking brown lumps of algae off some rock in Gordale Scar. And the bit with Steve McClure on Malham Cove was hilarious.

The bike stuff was also amusing.

“I’m pretty fast on a bike, you know…!” followed by him spinning out in first gear. 🙂

I drifted off a bit after that – did they really take a camera crew down a cave that floods completely while water levels were rising?

jimjam
    Free Member

MrSmith

It’s ‘entertainment’ for those who like a cheap pair of action slacks from millets, but never venture further than 500yds from their car.
    Let them have their fun.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. I would venture to say that Singletrackworld has a disproportionate number of real adventuring manly backwoods men, hence the hate.

I don’t mind him, then again I barely ever watch his shows. Until he starts talking about jeebus, at which point he boils my piss.

RustySpanner

It’s like that Nick Knowles programme where they rebuild the home of someone deserving.

You can watch someone being generous and caring for half an hour, so you don’t have to sully your hands with that kind of lefty, non profit making toss in real life.

nedrapier

Agree with most of this – pantomime stuff, stupid, nonsensical decisions, you’d be horrified if anyone was watching him and taking tips.

There was a show he did a little while ago where he took celebs and pushed them way out of their comfort zone. There was a slice of the usual self-agrandising boys-own stuff – like swooping in to collect That Week’s Celeb while hanging out of a helicopter, hoiking them off the ground while the helicopter hovers… Why isn’t he just sitting in the helicopter? Why doesn’t the helicopter just land, pick up, then take off again? – but that served a purpose of getting a reaction out of TWC.

His main role in that was to be calm, supportive, encouraging, helpful and knowledgeable, while pushing TWC to find out more about themselves through mental and physical hardship.

That Bear Grylls seemed like a nice guy.

I wouldn’t choose to spend any time with him on “his turf” though, anecdotal evidence points to the fact that he spends most of his time being the other Bear Grylls, and he doesn’t seem to have a very balanced personality.

maxray
    Free Member

It’s ‘entertainment’ for those who like a cheap pair of action slacks from millets, but never venture further than 500yds from their car.
    Let them have their fun.

That is alarmingly close to many STW forum users regards mountain biking! 😀

It’s ‘entertainment’ for those who like to buy the latest gear, but never venture further than 500yds from their car.
    Let them have their fun.

epicyclo

crankboy – Member
    …Unfortunately I have been put off some apparently good products because they have been branded with his name. I know that is as sad as buying something because of the branding.

Me too. There’s a very handy looking chopper I nearly bought until I noticed the orange accents on it. Saddo. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

There’s a very handy looking chopper I nearly bought until I noticed the orange accents on it.

This is a Bear Grylls product? WTF? 😯 My childhood is ruined 😥

I should have twigged when the bike told me that, in order to maximise our chances of survival, we couldn’t afford to any carry passengers on our mission.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

It’s like that Nick Knowles programme where they rebuild the home of someone deserving.
    You can watch someone being generous and caring for half an hour, so you don’t have to sully your hands with that kind of lefty, non profit making toss in real life.

😆

soobalias
    Free Member

its ok, wouldnt set the video recorder for it though.

actually cant watch him in those two tone trousers without thinking (fondly) of the recent thread on here.

as a presenter he’s ok, the tv show way of
    a. show you whats coming up
    b. show you some of the show
    c. show you what you just watched
    d. show you whats on after the adverts
    e. adverts
    repeat five times in an hour, means there is a maximum of 12mins content

nice advert for yorkshire, last week similar for n.wales, just hope that nobody copies his ‘action adventures’

nedrapier

Ho, ho.

Just picking up some meths equivalent from the hardware store in Helsinki, and who should I find sitting between the fishing line and the bungee cord? Yup, Teddy Grylls and his Gerber survival kit.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Bear Grylls – 9pm tonight’ is closed to new replies.