Viewing 25 posts - 161 through 185 (of 185 total)
  • Bands who should have been massive, but weren't
  • drain

The Church.

SaxonRider

These guys. 😀

thejesmonddingo

The Blue Nile

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Assuming Therapy? have already been mentioned.

audiophile
    Free Member

Orange 9mm

deluded
    Free Member

robsoctane – Member

Dead Can Dance

Absolutely +1

CountZero

I can never understand why Gemma Hayes isn’t better known. Such a great voice, a terrific songwriter, and a thoroughly lovely person, an absolute sweetheart when you meet her. If ever anyone deserved to be huge, it’s Gemma.
    I’ve seen TalkTalk mentioned; they had several really big hits, but Mark Hollis and the rest of the band were almost wilfully uncommercial, going out of their way to make successive albums that had less and less commercial appeal, with long tracks having long periods of silence in them. Hollis’s solo album is incredibly difficult to listen to, you never know just when he’s actually going to sing, which makes you really twitchy.
    Several bands that should have been better known, and some had a fair degree of radio one support; The Slingbacks, Linoleum, Nut, Drugstore, Screaming Trees, Scheer, and The Julie Dolphin.
    Oh, and The Blue Nile were on 6Music with RadMac this week.
    Dead Can Dance have a new album out as well.

Pigface
    Free Member

Talk Talk were huge in Europe, same with the Church.

An old mate was really close with Mark Hollis and they used to have Duran Duran support them in Europe.

sillyoldman

Wolfgang Press.

phatstanley
    Free Member

bluchunks:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDUXM0RfVo8[/video]

i worked with the singer (originally from vancouver) one summer, planting trees in BC.
    brilliant nutter of a human being….

sas78

Robsoctane – saw Anathema couple Weeks back supporting Opeth, first time seeing them and they were very good. Unfortunately, theres no one out progging Opeth in my eyes!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Suede should have been bigger but then they wouldn’t have that indie rock niche’.

The Cult, great rock band like Def Leopard – appreciated in the U.S. and abroad than the U.K.

Arch-stanton
    Free Member

+1 for Gene.. as soon as they were labelled the new Smiths, they were doomed..
    same as The Wedding Present, David Gedge has written some truly great songs, but they just don’t get any airplay.. although they were in session on 6 music last week..

Anyone remember Ambulance Ltd from the mid 2000’s ..? great first album, then disappeared..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Suede should have been bigger but then they wouldn’t have that indie rock niche’.

Disagree. They were shocking. 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

+1 for Teenage Fanclub

Belle and Sebastian felt very overlooked despite moderate success
    The Album Leaf is one “band” that I’ve not understood how they’re not better known
    In the electronica area, always loved Proem but I seem to be about the only person I know who knows them
    Oh, and finally Onra, a really unique take on samples for hiphop.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Onra? Never heard of ’em. Will check out.

On an electronic music note, I think Culprit 1 deserves more recognition. Great stuff.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

in an ideal world you would see a video by The Sound. Easily robbed of their place in history by U2.
    Just how do you post a video?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x13lIPL1ffI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

failedengineer

Richard thompson. Quite simply the best singer/songwriter/guitarist we’ve ever had. I suppose his OBE meand recognition, but most people have never heard of him.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Another +1 for The Music
    + 1 for That Petrol Emotion

and my contribution – Audioweb – one of the best bands I’ve ever saw live, still listen to their albums regularly

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKChWJe2Ts[/video]

ChrisHeath

The Wildhearts/Ginger should have been/should be massive. His last pledge campaign for 555% showed what could be done without record co. support, and the current campaign looks like it’s going to be awesome too.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNga2vAZQew[/video]

Hicksy
    Free Member

6 pages and no one has mentioned The Brian Jonestown Massacre yet!
    Already mentioned but…
    I am Kloot
    Belle and Sebastian
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    Curve
    Ash – some great pop songs

zippykona

Mr Woppit,Sir I salute you.

Gachet
    Free Member

Electric Soft Parade – Holes in the wall was mercury nominated, but after that they seemed to disappear. Their second album was good aswell.
    Stone Temple Pilots – they were initially seen as ripping off Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, but they did alot of good stuff over the years.

ratherbeintobago

6 pages and no one has mentioned The Brian Jonestown Massacre yet!

Having seen the Brian Jonestown Massacre supporting someone else in Manchester, it’s entirely clear why they weren’t massive. Or coherent.

zippykona

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wke0VIZbQBo&feature=player_detailpage[/video]
    Bloody hell it worked!
    Best buskers in the world.
    If you ever wondered what happened to Pans People watch on!

Viewing 25 posts - 161 through 185 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘Bands who should have been massive, but weren't’ is closed to new replies.