Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Autocad licence
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

We’ve got an old PC with a hooky version of 2010 on it, but as its XP and can’t upgrade to the latest Windows, its going to be redundant.

So just wondering if anyone has a spare licence for sale on the cheap or any ideas, as buying new is not viable? TIA. 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Download an open source cad ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

What do you need it for?

VanHalen

I was surprised how cheap autocad lt was when I bought it a week ago

simon_g

They do it on subscription now (similar to Adobe Creative Cloud and the like) at £150/month.

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

get siemens nx.

Autocad is way out of date now, and difficult to use in comparison

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_gb/products/nx/

Cougar

Do they still do Autocad LT? That was the ‘affordable’ option (similar to Photoshop Elements) back when I had to deal with it. Though, that was probably about 15 years ago.

Autocad’s been going a long time, hasn’t it. I remember using it at college in the late 80s.

EDIT – just looked it up, initial release was December 1982. 😯

stumpyjon

Download Draftsight for free, pretty good approximation of Autocad litefrom Solidworks.

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

It’s truly backwards compared to modern CAD/CAM software

MrSmith
    Free Member

So just wondering if anyone has a spare licence for sale on the cheap or any ideas, as buying new is not viable? TIA.

Do they do charity or student licences? Or are you a freetard?
    Cough up if you are using it for work.

Kahurangi

+1 for Draftsight. used it as a professional tool for a couple of years alongside SolidWorks and its pretty good. some things arent so slick but it does the job for most of it.

cp

Another draftsight recommendation here.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Try Draftsight, read somewhere they are giving it away free to weaken the market position of Autodesk.

REVIT it doing to AutoCad what AutoCad did to drawing boards.

Xylene
    Free Member

Free licenses if you can get a .edu email

joshvegas
    Free Member

If its for commercial use do not get a student licence.

It digitally marks any .dwg it touches.

REVIT it doing to AutoCad what AutoCad did to drawing boards.

sIt’s really not, parametric modelling is not drafting as a design tool yes its fantastic but its hopeless for drawing.

I’ve never seen a drafting package that comes close to autocad for flexibility if you know how to use it.

But then I have to use it as I use civil3d.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Depending on what you want to do with it try Onshape which is a cloud based modelling package similar to Solidworks. I think it’s still free to use but I haven’t used it for a while.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Autocad is parametric these days

as for any other package you can do with GRIP in UG NX what you can in Autocad with Lisp

the only reason to use Autocad in my honest opinion is that even with 3D Manufacturing and PMI trying to make drawings obsolete somewhere along the line the end result seems to be seems to be billions of people asking for a .DWG or DXF which you might as well have done in autocad off the bat rather than sift through layer after layer of 3d lines that have been flattened on the output of a 3D package

ps theres a lot of hooky software being used at home around the country when i worked as an applications guy for Dassault the general policy was if its not being used commercially then the issue wasnt worth chasing in real terms, im sure autodesk with their gazzillions of users might view it differently as pretty much any engineer has some dodgy software somewhere in their hard drive and is probably making a few quid somewhere with it

Rockape63
    Free Member

Apologies for not responding earlier, I’ve been away, but thanks to all for your ideas.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Another Draft sight user here.

But I, ahem, think that Autodesk licences certainly used to be easy to hack. Maybe.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Autocad licence’ is closed to new replies.