Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Assos shorts – where from?
  • Rip
    Free Member

I’d really like to buy some, but having looked around I can only find bib shorts.

Where can I get just shorts?

nsaints
    Free Member

Got mine from CRC….a month ago

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

wiggle were selling them.

njee20
    Free Member

I think Assos have gone a bit Rapha – form over function, unless you can track down the older ones, I think Gore produce better shorts, although admittedly less bling.

And buy bibshorts, they’re much better.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more.

scruff
    Free Member

wtf do you want bib shorts in the summer for, apart from a YMCA dance convention?

Joxster
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member

Couldn’t agree more.

And spoil the fun of hooking shorts over their saddle so they can’t get out the saddle to climb.

njee20
    Free Member

Why would bibshorts be hotter? Where does this idea come from!? And if you’re sensible you put a jersey on over the top.

Find a pro, MTB or road, who doesn’t wear bibshorts. They probably do a touch more riding than us.

ourmaninthenorth

Bibs all the way. As far as I’m concerned, other than baggies to go over the top when MTBing, there’s no other type of cycling short…. And they’re certainly no hotter in summer.

Oh, and as an Assos owner (from a couple of years ago), the prices have gone through the roof to the point where I can’t justify another pair.

So, I bought a pair of Giordana Tenax the other day (£60 from cRC in limited sizes, full size range available from Ribble). Brilliant.

Rip
    Free Member

Neither Wiggle or CRC have shorts.

I’ll give the bibs and the Giordana a go though.

Incidentally, how do you take a leak in bibs without a complete disrobe?

trail_rat
    Free Member

unless your touring …..shorts for touring bibs for EVERYTHING else

ourmaninthenorth

Incidentally, how do you take a leak in bibs without a complete disrobe?

Pull the leg slightly open, like everyone else… 😉

Just kidding. The front is cut low, so just pull it down a bit and away you go.

Only thing to watch on the Giordana is that the legs are relatively long – about as much as my short legs can cope with. YMMV.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

wtf do you want bib shorts in the summer for, apart from a YMCA dance convention?

So the Giro, TDF etc are all YMCA dance conventions then?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

A tip for you..

When washing your bibs put them in a small net bag to stop them from stretching in the wash over time, conveniently you get one of these in the pack when you buy Assos.

Joxster
    Free Member

Look at Nalini, Santini, Descente, Gore and Giordana. I’ve seen good reviews about DHB but friends that have bought and used them say differently.

Shorts can be like saddles and are quite personal on fit and feel.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Look at Nalini, Santini, Descente, Gore and Giordana. I’ve seen good reviews about DHB but friends that have bought and used them say differently.

Shorts can be like saddles and are quite personal on fit and feel.

I wouldn’t touch Santini with a shitty stick, I owned a pair of £80 ones for one ride, the inner leg seam (what a dumb place to put one) frayed weakening the stitching.

finbar
    Free Member

Well, i don’t like bibs either. “oh, but all the pros wear them!”. And? There are more significant differences between their setups and most other peoples.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well, i don’t like bibs either. “oh, but all the pros wear them!”. And?

And Bibs are better.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, they are. In every respect.

finbar
    Free Member

Why though? I rode 300 miles last week (well, alright, the last 9 days) in ‘regular’ shorts – no chafing, no slippage issues, and no silly extra material round my shoulders which i don’t like the feel of.

MrSmith
    Free Member

+1 on the bibs over shorts. far more comfortable and not any hotter. would never go back to shorts on the road.

pro’s wear them because they spend hours in the saddle and want to be comfortable. that’s a good enough reason for an amateur plodder to wear them.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Are Assos shorts really that good?

I’ve started Marathon riding this season and might even move up to 24 hour solos next year. My cheap and cheerful Endura £25 jobs are “ok” but everytime I stand up and then come back down into the saddle I have to do this sort of squirming shimmy type manoeuvre to try and coax the pad back into a place that’s only just definable as comfy.

I wouldn’t mind dropping £100 on something like an Assos Uno if they are actually the revelation the Bike Radar review (bottom) claims… (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Assos_FI_Uno_S5_Bib_Shorts/5360035254/)

That said, I’ve got team kit coming from Carvalho Custom which I’ll want to wear, if any of the LVIS lot are reading, what are the Carvalho bibs like on those longer races?

njee20
    Free Member

Assos shorts used to be that good, the quality’s slipped now, and the prices have sky rocketed. I would look elsewhere these days.

The Gore Xenon is an excellent option for a high end short, and even the Oxygen is far superior to the basic Assos F.I.Uno.

All personal though.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ta!

Any LVIS people waering the Carvalho Custom bib shorts?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Any LVIS people waering the Carvalho Custom bib shorts?

Loads. MkI chamois was great, I don’t get on with the MkII chamois quite as well, but I appear to be the only one who has issues with them out of getting on for two dozen riders. They are cut quite short (mid quad) though – I like mine a bit longer. But then I’m chuffing fussy about shorts. Great material, last very well.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Good news! Order being placed next week. Jerseys, Bibs, Freeride and Tech Tees for about 30 members – look out for them on the trails around end of summer! 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Assos shorts – where from?’ is closed to new replies.