Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)
  • Ashes – 2nd Test Spoiler
  • theotherjonv

start the taxi!!

Get a wicket for 87 now.

Zoolander
    Free Member

They’ve resorted to glueing the bails!

spacemonkey

Bloody hell – how selfish of Team England? I saved what’s left of a bottle of whiskey for tonight’s showdown, expecting to last at least until 3am. What happens? We only go and grab four wickets in the first hour. Might have to start drinking quickly.

aracer
    Free Member

So the question is, who’s getting dropped for the next test? My money’s on North and D’oh!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Nice!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

PeteG55
    Free Member

Katich out for rest of the series. Well I guess that levels things up again.
    Who’ll replace him though?

aracer
    Free Member

Hughes seems the obvious option – did OK for Aus A in the tour match.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

spacemonkey

Hughes n Hauritz to make a return surely?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

BY A MELONFARMING INNINGS!!

PeteG55
    Free Member

Brilliant, well done England. G’night all.

spacemonkey

Fair enough Broady n Katich cancel each other out – but at least Swanny is getting in the groove.

aracer
    Free Member

Woot! A well deserved five-for to Swann – given the pre-series comments about it depending on whether he fired, that’s got to be very good news.

yossarian
    Free Member

Burn the bails Bruce!!!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

😀

theotherjonv

What a marvelous delivery that was!

‘Early’ night after all 😯

allthepies
    Free Member

You BEAUTIES!

🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

I am glad it finished early as having been up since 4.30 Monday I was beginning to flag come the end.Well done England

palmer77
    Free Member

Hurrah!

theotherjonv

I’ll say one thing. These back to back test matches are physically and mentally draining. I think I’m going to put my feet up for the next few days and let the wife watch the TV in my place, see if I can recuperate in time for the Perth game (Starts Thursday 16th)

palmer77
    Free Member

Anyone else think that Strauss made the right decision to bat on for a bit on day four and put on another 60-70 runs given that the victory was by an innings and 71 runs? Not sure it would have ended in anything other than a draw if England had to bat again in the afternoon when the rain finally came.

theotherjonv

Yep. Seen it so many times before. Just supposing we had declared, two things change. 1/ Aus then have a more attainable target to make us bat again; psychologically it makes a huge difference as opposed to chasing a lost cause. 2/ We had 2 men in, tired bowlers, on a 4th day pitch with an old ball meaning we could score at 8 an over at will. To get those same 70 runs against a new ball and a fresh attack would have taken twice as long (I know we didn’t ‘need’ them as it turned out). Plus, once the target becomes attainable to make us bat again, there’s always the chance that psychologically you might then end up chasing 100, or 120……

Spot on from strauss. 9.5/10 for captaincy right through. Less said about judgement of where his off stump is the better…..

chiefgrooveguru

Excellent stuff, didn’t even have to stay up that late to hear the final wickets!

palmer77
    Free Member

I guess the question is who you would pick to replace Broad for the Perth Test? Ajmal Shahzad, Tim Bresnan or Chris Tremlett?

My moneys on Shazad

zokes
    Free Member

Great atmosphere there – lovely ground. I seriously recommend anyone of a mind to visit Australia in 4 years time to spend 5 of those days at the Adelaide Oval.

Brillian win – the media are tearing into them here…

psychle
    Free Member

Only needed to last till just after lunch…

Can’t believe how quickly it was wrapped up in the morning, a truly woeful performance from the Aussies and a very good one from England… the only saving grace is that I don’t think we can play worse! Chances of stopping England from winning one of the next 3 Test’s are slim though, but I haven’t given up hope yet, will wait till after Perth for that!

the media are tearing into them here…

They’re like sharks aren’t they? Perhaps worse than the English press, maybe…

This is a funny article…

Scamper
    Free Member

I’d pick Tremlett. As Hussain said this morning, the aussies won’t be trembling about if the number 8 can bat a bit (Bresnan), but more so the better bowler especially for the likely conditions. I do like cut of Shahzad’s jib though.

psychle
    Free Member

Doh!

palmer77
    Free Member

I think Shahzad has a bit more aggression which will be needed on a flat pitch.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Hopefully England have a bit more self belief now and pick the best bowler for the pitch and forget about their ability to bat. After all they’ve hardly had to use Bell or Prior yet. Whilst they are at it they should move Bell up to five at the very least.

Junkyard
    Free Member

funny link psychle

i thought england would win the series 1-0 originally with the rest drawn. Now I cant see the Aussies stopping us at all. They still dont have 20 wickets yet and I just cant see them bowling us out in a match so I cant really see how e can loose.
    Psychologically they are on their knees and it will be hard to see them stand up now.

aracer
    Free Member

funny link psychle

It really needs a spin bowler standing next to Punter though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Funny article. I did the survey and 65% think Punter shouldn’t be captain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tee hee

palmer77
    Free Member

Almost as good as this story…

Ashes 2005 1st Test at Lord’s

Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Ashes – 2nd Test Spoiler’ is closed to new replies.