Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Aren't computers incredible these days?
  • AlexSimon

What’s a terrabyte

It’s a dinosaur that eats earth

andytherocketeer

What’s a terrabyte?

Going OTB and eating dirt?

IGMC

We’re using PetaBytes here now 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

I’m amazed what my smart phone is capable of

AlexSimon

I remember spending £250 on a 2x write speed CD Burner.
    hmmmmm

Cougar

A while before that, I remember something on TV where they had this thing that was going to make CD players obsolete, and was for all intents and purposes an MP3 player. But they had it as the April Fool’s item!

I remember that. It was Philip Schofield and Sarah Green on one of the Saturday morning shows, Going Live or one of its ilk. Albums on little chips that you plugged into the player. They came clean the following week.

AlexSimon

So what’s the largest file anyone’s got on their system.
    Mine is unsurprisingly GoPro footage edited in Sony Vegas – producing a HD WMV file of 1.6GB!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I can chat to people on the internet instead of working.

That’s enough for me.

Oh, and I never knew that women could do that with those.

sharkbait
    Free Member

4Gb database file that holds data captured from 4.6 million invoices we have scanned.
    Clients’ credit controllers search the database via a website and download the scanned images from our servers

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s truly scary is how much of this capacity and power is wasted

You might think that.. but how many people want to watch a bluray on their laptop, or maybe edit that video they took on their fancy phone? As above, video used to be very intenstive, and HD video was a few years ago. Also ripping CDs used to take quite a while.

I bet a lot of the websites you see nowadays wouldn’t work very well on a PC from 2000. I think you forget how much better the overall experience is now than it was then. Remember we don’t demand all this power just to enable us to have semi-transparent windows on our desktops – the likes of Intel, AMD, Nvidia and ATI are making new stuff because they can and because numbers sell PCs and they need to compete. Microsoft and co just use it because it’s there.

Also don’t underestimate how much cheaper basic stuff is now. Back in the early 90s when a 50MHz cpu seemed pie in the sky, everyday desktop PCs were about a grand. Now you can get a pretty decent sub notebook with a very useable spec for a third of that in actual money terms, never mind real terms accounting for inflation.

andytherocketeer

So what’s the largest file anyone’s got on their system

Do Virtual Disks for VMs count? If so, I have one about 20 (metric) Gigs.

mogrim

So what’s the largest file anyone’s got on their system.

Pretty much any of the virtual machines I’ve got, for example a fairly clean Ubuntu 32 bit Virtual Box install I made last weekend is over 8GB.

Kind of puts the 16k memory expansion pack for my vic20 into perspective, I suppose. Out of interest, how much data can you fit on a C90 cassette?

Cougar

I probably got twenty 48K games onto half a C90 (for backup purposes, obviously), so, what, 1Mb per side maybe? *handwavy*

molgrips
    Free Member

I once worked out that at 2,400bps I could get almost 1MB onto a C120, back in the days of 48K computers. That was incredible!

AlexSimon

buuuurrrrrr bip brrrrrrrrr chhchhchhchchchchchh

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well I’m currently sat on a train posting from a device the size of a fag packet whilst running a cad program on another one the size of a notebook. Both connected wirelessly to the Internet. I have no idea how any of it works, but it just does and that’s verging on miraculous.

molgrips
    Free Member

People take it for granted, but if you did know how it worked you’d be even more amazed.

I just marvel at the amount of work that has gone into making and designing all of it, over the years.

GrahamS

Also don’t underestimate how much cheaper basic stuff is now. Back in the early 90s when a 50MHz cpu seemed pie in the sky, everyday desktop PCs were about a grand. Now you can get a pretty decent sub notebook with a very useable spec for a third of that

Or a Raspberry Pi: 700Mhz CPU, 256Mb RAM, 2 USB ports, Ethernet, SD card reader, HDMI output, GFX chip capable of 1080p Bluray-quality playback.

$35

Cougar

Speaking of the Spectrum,

You’re marvelling over what can be done with modern hardware. With sufficient practice and talent, it’s pretty marvellous what can be done with old hardware. Check this out.

http://zxspectrum48.i-demo.pl/zxgallery.html

xiphon
    Free Member

For those interested in NASA software development…

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/06/writestuff.html

There was another article (which I can’t find), about how they keep reviewing their code, hundreds of times over, to squeeze extra performance out of it.

A vast proportion of their code is written in Assembly, as C took up too much room…

GrahamS

A vast proportion of their code is written in Assembly, as C took up too much room…

Been there. Done that. Not much fun!

MrsToast
    Free Member

Cougar

*applauds*

fasthaggis

Watching Cad Cam develop over the last few years has been truly amazing .
    Some design and production methods are stunning.

GrahamS

For MrsToast: http://www.google.com/moon/ 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

This all reminds me of that famous misquote attributed to the top man at IBM in the 40’s about how he could see a world market for at most 5 computers. I doubt he really anticipated this…

99% of us just use it for ‘Liking’ things on FaceBook and watching people fall over on YouTube. Oh, and posting opinions that nobody cares about on forums.

It’s also slightly depressing to think that we now have instant access to so much knowledge and learning, but most of my internet time is spent reading posts on here 😐

scuzz
    Free Member

So, anyone here operate an HPC?

verses

AlexSimon – Member

hmmmmm

I remember spending a similar amount on a double-speed CD Reader!

brassneck

Or a Raspberry Pi: 700Mhz CPU, 256Mb RAM, 2 USB ports, Ethernet, SD card reader, HDMI output, GFX chip capable of 1080p Bluray-quality playback.

$35

If they ever let you order the bloody things, the Farnell site was /.ed and I think it was RS I ‘regsitered an interest’ with along with around a million other people who live with their mums.

D0NK

I bet a lot of the websites you see nowadays wouldn’t work very well on a PC from 2000

that’s the thing that irks me, all that R&D, time, money and computing power is spent on making things look shinier. Alright games, movies etc you want shiny but home PCs used for FB, STW etc are obscenely overspecced (and priced) for what they actually do ie post words and pictures on the web for others to see.

That Pi thing looks interesting.

I remember persuading work to buy me a 512Mb usb stick for about the same price, must have caught the boss on a good day cause it was hardly a necessity

D0NK

no but I’ve been handed someones £65k pet project that tried to (badly) replicate a load of already centrally run services and has ended up being a very expensive underutilised NASbox.

joao3v16
    Free Member

home PCs … are obscenely overspecced (and priced) for what they actually do

You could say the same about bikes, cars, washing machines, toasters, biro’s … coffee machines, razors, chainsaws … 😉

D0NK

You could say the same about bikes

hey if at the end of the ride the O-rings indicate full travel has taken place that technology has been justified I tell ya. Justified!

Edit bike wise I’d like to see rigid v-braked bikes available for very little money, same as I’d like there to be cheap PCs running an optimised lightweight OS that can handle web browsing and plug into any TV/monitor. But no you get cutting edge technology for mr money bags and the low end market trying to badly emulate it. Be that shit heavy full sus bike with wooden disc brakes or a cheap PC crippled under windows 7. Cheap can be done well if you accept the limitations and do it differently.

brassneck

Nope but I do have some 16 node vSphere clusters with 24 cores in each. The HPC stuff is not on the general network, I think there are legions of people with top pockets full of pens doing that somewhere. Probably in a hollowed out volcano, with big tanks of sharks with frickin laser beam eyes.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

it is scary, sad i know but i downloaded MAME onto my laptop the other night and downloaded loads of retro games, was laughing at the size of them.

i use lots of iomega 1Tb back up drives in work for the backups.

god knows what it will be like in 20 years time.

crazy-legs

Back in the late 1980’s a mate used to work for a Data Storage company which backed up bank records, confidential company data etc back in the days when memory was too expensive for anyone but the biggest corporations. They had a warehouse full of computing power which could store about 100Gb of data. That was a simply obscene amount and any geek who heard him talking about it would be amazed.

My back-up hard-drive is 500Gb and was about £79.

aracer
    Free Member

640K ought to be enough for anybody

aracer
    Free Member

If they ever let you order the bloody things, the Farnell site was /.ed and I think it was RS I ‘regsitered an interest’ with along with around a million other people who live with their mums.

They’ll come. Eventually. It’s just a combination of them vastly underestimating demand, and not having enough money to commit to a bigger initial production run.

I suspect a lot of people will be a bit disappointed when they come though – I can’t believe there are that many true geeks or people involved in educational IT (I’m both, and very excited) who understand the limitations and will appreciate them for what they are. I’m guessing that people are expecting something they’re not quite going to get.

richmars

The Apollo computers also had hand-made memory made by old ladies. A change to the software used to take weeks to re-program.

xiphon
    Free Member

Wonder how many people reading this thread know what /.ed is….

scuzz
    Free Member

Wonder how many people reading this thread know what /.ed is….

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Aren't computers incredible these days?’ is closed to new replies.