• This topic has 198 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 199 total)
  • are we obsessing over bike weights (again)?
  • mudsux
    Free Member

have we come full circle? seems there are more and more people going the way of the weight weenie.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

no we are not. The end.

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

I am and I'm quite enjoying it as well.

Northwind

One of mine is going down. The other one's going up. It's all good fun.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

people who care about the weight of their bike spend the rest of their time licking windows and stalking celebrities 🙁

Northwind

Today's weight fact. SLX cassettes weigh 282g for 32T, XT is 256g. But the lockrings are interchangable,and the XT ring is about 10g lighter than the SLX one. So if you've already got a worn out XT one, you can combine the two and you're only gaining abut 16 grams!

Isn't that FASCINATING?

foureyes
    Free Member

🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Isn't that FASCINATING?

not as fascinating as licking this window…

ton

heavy bikes are good.

naokfreek
    Free Member

+1 ton, my mates giant glory is stupidly heavy 47lbs ish, but good, good fun on the downs which of course is all it does 😉

Speeder

As some one in the trade mentioned to me the other day – it's the new purple. Just the industry's way of flogging us more stuff that we didn't know we needed.

Can't say I haven't done it though. 😳

jam-bo

we?

naokfreek
    Free Member

Us?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I used to think my bike was heavy and sluggish until I got some better forks (which are actually heavier than the old ones) and now it feels much perkier and is way faster. I can't afford really light stuff anyway.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

To a certain extent weight makes a difference… a bike with sorted geometry can easily conceed a few pounds to a whippet and be much more rewarding to ride. Trust me…

I have just upgraded from a Scott Geniuis Ltd to a SC Heckler and the later fits me like a glove.

el_boufador

I think weight has always been an obsession in all forms of cycling. In early 90s MTB it was at the expense of everything else. My marin eldridge grade from that period was very light but rubbish in every other way. The wheels in particular were very fragile.

Now I think things are a little more sensible. We have got used to kit which actually works and we (well, certainly I!) are not ready to forgoe that for absolute minimum weight.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

weight matters for racing, as a race can be won by a tiny fraction of a second or a few cm, and a few grammes of mass can make that difference, everything else being equal – however in non racing conditions the weight mainly seems to have a psychological advantage – if you feel the bike is better you may perform better, or at least, think you are…

Kevevs
    Free Member

For those that want to add weight: I've sawed 70mm of my seatpost. I'll put it on classifieds, what price for 70mm of Thompson seatpost?

(it wouldn't go below the top seattube bolt)

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Lightweight stuff's great, until you encounter rocks. Then it tends to bend.. 🙁

richcc
    Free Member

I've no idea what my bike weighs so wouldn't say I've got weight weenie

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My Session 88 is 38lb and falling….

adeward
    Free Member

were we not told by some marketing blurb a while ago on this forum that a bike (which I can't remeber) had designed it's bike to be heavy to improve the sprung to unsprung ratio

or was that just marketing blub for dam it's heavy how can we spin this

jonb
    Free Member

I'll be honest, weight factors in my decisions on my full suss but I won't replace perfectly good components to shave off a few grams. I take it about as far as buying XT casettes rather than deore and buying kevlar rather than steel beaded tyres.

druidh
    Free Member

Envy is a terrible thing. Only poor people worry about this – the rest of us buy the best available and that is often governed by weight.

mattbee

I like to buy light stuff, but not obsessively so; I won't be found in the LBS with a set of digital scales but will buy the lightest kit I think will cope with my hamfisted riding style!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Envy is a terrible thing. Only poor people worry about this – the rest of us buy the best available and that is often governed by weight.

Not necessarily. I could buy almost any bike I wanted, yet I choose to ride a 2nd hand Merlin Malt 3 with battered paintwork. Once upon a time I used to sneer at hardtails and think "Not a proper bike", but when circumstances forced me into riding this bike I found it was actually more fun struggling with its less forgiving ride rather than breezing over the terrain with full suspension. I'm also content to demonstrate that a cheap bike with cheap components will do the job perfectly well

Tomahawk
    Free Member

I agree with Simon… and think that there is a certain amount of placebo effect with weight. We are all individuals with our own goals and requirements, but mentality is paramount. Unless you are a racer, where competetors are striving for the tinyest advantage often at the sacrifice of other areas. If the heavier bike (lets face it… in modern day terms this can be a marginal ammount) is very rewarding to ride and puts a smile on your face then you can afford to conceed a few pounds and still probably ride faster.

shermer75
    Free Member

This looks pretty light…

br
    Free Member

Lightweight stuff's great, until you encounter rocks. Then it tends to bend

Light, strong, cheap – pick two – you picked the wrong two…

I'm a big believer in lightness, and this initially came for me from motorbikes – where you could treat it as free power; free as in it didn't increase fragility nor fuel consumption plus meant the suspension usually worked better. And I don't see any real difference in MTB-land.

Northwind

"Lightweight stuff's great, until you encounter rocks. Then it tends to bend.."

Lots of rocks at fort william, my 25lb Soul managed just fine 😉 Obviously that's not superlight but it's light for its purpose and strength. I did bust a spoke but only because I'm a clumsy idiot, the 4X track proved a bit much for me 🙄

For me it maybe is largely placebo effect… my Idrive was 30lbs and felt much heavier and less responsive than my Hemlock at 29lbs but that's not such a big difference. But there's things I can do on the Soul that I can't on the Hemlock, really steep explosive climbs, muscling the bike around on tight descents… Spent about 10 minutes yesterday repeatedly failing a techy section on the big bike which I can do every time on the Soul just because I can bully the Soul around more.

But then I'm not powerfully built, and I don't carry much weight, so maybe that's why I can't do these things with the bigger bike, probably if I was a bit stronger I could overcome thta.

grtdkad

My Beone is around 22lbs and I am around 200lbs – it's ridden regularly and fairly hard – I tend not to break bits…(touch wood!)

Buying quality pays off for me – it doesn't always have to be eye-watering expensive either, I just picked up a new XTR 11-34 cassette for eighty quid.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

, I just picked up a new XTR 11-34 cassette for eighty quid.

EIGHTY SOVS ??

I wasn't happy paying 18 for mine 🙁

danridesbikes
    Free Member

i know the weight of every single component on my bike, including having the info in a spreadsheet and pics of each item being weighed 😀

tazzymtb

I'm a weight weenie and couldn't care less what you lardy lovers like. In fact this will probably get most of you all excited as its got a big 2.5" tyres round the middle. 😉

tazzymtb

Dino
    Free Member

Lightweight= Lack of Fitness???
    Or buy a road bike 😯

thomthumb
    Free Member

i keep one bike heavy so the other one feels light..

matt_outandabout

I have no idea how much my bike weighs, and the only ever thing I have bothered about the weight of is tyres, as lighterish ones do seem to make a nice difference to the ride.

Northwind

"Lightweight= Lack of Fitness???"

I just end up going faster, and getting knackered at exactly the same pace :mrgreen: A lot of people fixate on climbing when they talk about lightness but that doesn't bother me so much, I like how a lighter bike rides on the way back down.

I just discovered, while pottering around, that my heaviest bike is my rigid hybrid commuter :mrgreen: At a mighty 30.4lbs.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If your'e that worried about weight then make sure you have a crap, a haircut & cut your nails before you go out. I'm about 2 1/2 clem overweight so I'm not really ar$ed about how heavy my bike is. (although I know it weighs about 27-28lbs)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘are we obsessing over bike weights (again)?’ is closed to new replies.