Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Apostrophe's
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am sure this will bring out all the usual accusation’s about grammar nazis, but this is different to other post’s. A bit.

How can it be that some people manage to get it so wrong in one sentence or post? As in for example, people who manage to type cars and car’s, dogs/dog’s and so on as the plural of a word.

Getting it consistently wrong is inexcusable, but slightly understandable. Getting it wrong and right is just two wrong’s!

IHN

don’t get me started on panini’s

brakes
    Free Member

ahwiles
    Free Member

i am constantly baffled by the apostraphe.

but i’m sure i’ve got a vague idea of what they mean, and i’m keen to try, so i tend to get a bit carried away.

I’m inconsistent because i realise i’m probably getting it wrong, so make sure i get it wrong in lots of different ways – i’m playing a numbers game here, i can’t be wrong all the time!

Getting it consistently wrong is inexcusable,

inexcusable…? really?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

dirtyrider
    Free Member

mattyfez

I’m – I am
    I’ve – I have
    I’s – I is

I’s therefore I’m. – I is theerefore I am, innit.

nickc

It’s not a difficult rule to learn, is it?

allan23
    Free Member

I’ve been caught out by spell checkers a few times, especially on phones if you post and don’t notice the change. It’s also a while since I was at school so some more obscure grammer escapes my memory.

You can usually tell by the whole post if it’s a typo or something deserving of the grammer police.

Facebook posts on some Mountain Bike groups make me cringe at times, seen far to many problems with breaks and if someone carnt get there breaks working then I die a little inside.

Language evolves admittedly, but so does stupid unfortunately 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

Bitchin’ thread!

IHN

From the pic up there… there’s nothing wrong with Jones’s. Where a word ends with an S, a possessive apostrophe can be used with or without a final S.

ElShalimo

Once this issue has been resolved, can we move on to the correct usage of the Oxford comma?

andytherocketeer

failure breeds failure

I learned how to use them in primary school, as did most, i expect

but with so many example’s 😉 seen daily, it’s overruled that part of the brain, so spurious ‘ get typed because spurious ‘ is becoming the norm.

ban apostrophe’s 😉 and then nobody can get them wrong.

z1ppy

WGAF except pedants, and WGAF about their opinion?

beej

One panino.
    Two panini.

bob_summers

Seems to be a problem (with exceptions) limited to anglophones. My students are learning English as a 2nd or 3rd language and they almost never have a problem with it.

IHN

can we move on to the correct usage of the Oxford comma?

Yeah, let’s.

mark90
    Free Member

and Captial’s what about the correct use of Capitals? 😀

thenorthwind

On a similar note…

”Food Now Been Served”

Sandwich

z1ppy
    It’s the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit. So get your shit together.

medoramas
    Free Member

Having English as my second language I find I have no problems with using the ” ‘ “. I had it covered nicely on my English lessons. My native language does not use apostrophe, maybe that’s why it was easy to understand and learn what does it do?

But reading emails from my native-English work colleagues or clients often rises a solid “WTF?” question in my mind.

willard

It’s probably worth explaining how to use an apostrophe with a nice, easy to understand graphic:

toby1

People who still care about life, those that haven’t given up on living?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m inconsistent because i realise i’m probably getting it wrong, so make sure i get it wrong in lots of different ways – i’m playing a numbers game here, i can’t be wrong all the time!

Being wrong five times in one sentence says you probably can.

Nico
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

According to the office grammar nazi/proof reader, I am one of the worst offenders for poor grammar and spelling.
    However, I am able to tell you why an apostrophe should be used.

GrahamS

I blame grocer’s.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Mister P – Member

Being wrong five times in one sentence says you probably can.

(genuinely keen to learn) where’d i go wrong?

is that one just there wrong too?

charliemort

I assume the numerous wrong apostrophes (not apostrope’s) in OP’s post are taking the p@ss?! (Post’s / posts; wrong’s / wrongs; accusation’s / accusations)

D0NK

(genuinely keen to learn) where’d i go wrong?

is that one just there wrong too? afaik with contraction you put the ‘ where the missing letters are so

where d’

might be correct but looks well wrong. <edit> but then I guess it depends whether you’re getting rid of the “di” or the “id” of did 😉

I assume the 5 mistakes mister p mentioned were not capitalising “I”

hammerite
    Free Member

I was never really taught correct use of grammar and punctuation. It was just something that some of us picked up. Most of what I know was picked up over a long period of time – some more recently.

Interestingly punctuation and grammar is now a heavy part of a child’s English lessons at school. 6-7 year olds are supposed to be able to use an apostrophe correctly for contraction. 7-8 year olds are supposed to be able to use them to show singular and plural possession.

It’s and its used to catch me out.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I studied language and linguistics at uni and my life is a constant succession of seeing others’ grammar mistakes.

Misuse of colons and semicolons causes me pain although so does incorrect use of en and em dashes so I’m a little more grammar Nazi-ey than most!

It’s and it’s used to catch me out.

Still does apparently! No apostrophe for the possessive as it’s a possessive pronoun in itself.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Slight digression. I’ve just been in a meeting where someone said “brought” instead of “bought”.

I thought that was just a forum numpty thing, not something that people actually said out loud.

D0NK

Misuse of colons and semicolons causes me pain

I haven’t got the foggiest for semi colons, tbh if I think the sentence is dragging on a bit I’ll lob a random ; in there 😉
    afaik colons are for starting a list, dunno what else…. feel free to educate me

hammerite
    Free Member

Should’ve – should of…

Grrrrr

bob_summers

^^^ “Should have” does sound a bit like you’re saying “should of”, when it’s contracted/unstressed, ie. /’??d?v/ , so maybe forgivable for someone who doesn’t write much.

Like, “There’s two”; it’s grammatically incorrect but it’s easier to say than “there are two” so we write it that way too.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

For a start DONK, to introduce a clarification, which i take to be synonymous with “If a sentence is dragging on a bit…” you use a colon.

I ate loads for tea: chicken and mash and carrots and peas and a litre of gravy.

Colon for a tabulated list.

Colon before a direct quotation where the quotation clarifies the point.

She said the last thing I wanted to her: ‘tomorrow we start the diet’.

An introductory line before more than three lines of quoted text.

My favourite toast must be this:

blah blah blah
    something Shakespearean
    thus unto all ye

You can use a semicolon to join two clauses which themselves could stand as complete sentences. Usually used to balance or contrast the thrust of the two clauses. Usually use a comma before a conjunction except before the following which should be preceeded by a colon:

however
    therefore
    meanwhile
    also
    consequently
    nevertheless

and a couple of others.

Semicolons ca also be used in lists to mark of items in a list.

tl;dr

If in doubt, use a semicolon and explain it away as a typo.

mudshark
    Free Member

From the pic up there… there’s nothing wrong with Jones’s. Where a word ends with an S, a possessive apostrophe can be used with or without a final S.

Well it’s betterer to include the s if it’s pronounced as it is here, if not pronounced then it’s best left out.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Arf.

ahwiles
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

I assume the 5 mistakes mister p mentioned were not capitalising “I”

pfft, is that all? i’m a busy man, i haven’t got time for that kind of flamboyance…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Apostrophe's’ is closed to new replies.