• This topic has 48 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anything as bright as an exposure 6 pack?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning all,

Before I spend nearly £400 on a light is there any alternatives that are as bright?

Was considering some of the Chinese 7 Cree headlights and an mtb batteries battery? Obviously a fraction of the cost but very different tech.

Purely rating on brightness is there much that can rival them?

welshfarmer

My bro has the Exposure 6 pack. I have a new Hope R4. I don’t think the slight increase in power is wroth an extra 200 notes. I also prefer not to have the whole thing on my bars, though I appreciate for some that is a genuine reason to buy the Exposure

fifeandy
    Free Member

Your problem with looking at chinese head 7+ LED head units is that until you buy them you don’t actually know how the electronics is set up.
    They may have 7xXML LED’s giving a theoretical 7000lm, but if they are only set to pull 500mA they are only going to give half that at best.

Edit: As a budget alternative, you could look at getting two of the many derivatives of the 2xXML lights and using a Y cable to run them both off the same battery.

chilled76
    Free Member

Just looking at the Hope r8 at the minute… how would that stack up in brightness?

SirHC
    zilog6128

Before I spend nearly £400 on a light is there any alternatives that are as bright?

Not that it helps you any but they were only £280 at Evans the other week! You need to spend more time on here to get all the PSAs!

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m aware of the Evans sale… nearly bought one and dithered about it too much reading about them. Then decided I really want one, then they were back up to only 10% off…I can get one for £340 but it’s still a big cost 🙁

zippykona

Where are you based?

ade9933
    Free Member

Hope R8+ saw one of these the other week. v. v. bright.

fifeandy
    Free Member

R8+ is quite poor value compared to Six Pack due to having much smaller (and external) battery

stevied
    Free Member

8000 lumens? 😉

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Finely Tuned Ride have some ex demo Exposure lights going cheap, all with warranty etc.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I bought one of those cheap China monsters as I have a few decent battery packs compatible with one & they are less than £20.

If you don’t mind cables, they are mentally bright. Clearly not the millions of lumens they claim, but it makes a 1400lm Exposure Diablo look like my iPhone torch in comparison.

It destroys the Solarstorm by comparison as well.

A decent battery from TBB/etc & the head unit for less than £20, for £60 all in with a charger, it’s a complete bargain. If it breaks, i’ll throw it in the bin & buy another.

ade9933
    Free Member

Finely Tuned Ride have some ex demo Exposure lights going cheap, all with warranty etc.

these are the older models MTB Rob… I’m sure they are fine but just FYI.

martymac

I don’t know if some cheaper chinese lights can match a six pack for brightness, but I know the six pack is stupidly bright, as well as having the potential to run for 36hrs on a lower power setting.
    Yes, it’s expensive, but its made in Britain, has a good warranty, and is an excellent piece of kit.
    I wouldn’t have bought it for myself, but thankfully my wife made the decision for me.
    She also spent a similar amount on shoes that day.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Four4th, cheaper and probably better. £275 sticker price on the OMG at 5200 lumens (and that’s not Chinese lumens).

Robust design, motion/temp controlled driver board, quality connectors and adjustable mounts.

OMG ideal for helmet

Holy Moses for bar

Based in Aldershot.

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers for the reponses so far everyone.

Zippykona I’m based in Nottingham.

Anyone got a link to that Chinese monster? Would it run off an older hope vision 4 battery pack?

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Gemini Titan. It’s a monster and sub £250 with an 8 cell battery.

chilled76
    Free Member

To be honest £250 for a Gemini which looks like a cheapy Chinese light with rubber band mounts isn’t an option. If it was £100 it would be a contender but at £250 I’d rather buy something that has a more complete finish to it.

cozz
    Free Member

If you are in Nottingham

I got a hope R8 couple of weeks back from Voltz in blidworth

amazing light and a good deal

Ask for dave, tell him Corin send you

zippykona

I have no way of knowing if this is brighter than a 6pack but it makes my car’s dip lights seem dim. Can’t imagine ever needing more light but more is always better!
    It cost me £13 plus £50 for torchy batteries and a charger. It lasts for 3 hours on medium beam which is as bright as a joystick on full.
    The lens steams up a bit in heavy rain but it’s always clear the next day. Someone showed me their Diablo which was a couple of years old and its light was pathetic. I’d hate to spend a lot of money and for them to be out of date so quickly. My big light is too bright for everyday use as if anyone is coming the other way( which they frequently do through the park) I have to turn it off. Now running 2 joysticks ,one on helmet and one on bars as I can easily tilt one out of the way and look to one side with the other one.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ll bear that in mind Cozz. Thanks for the heads up.

chilled76
    Free Member

Zippykona.. thanks for that. It’s so ugly it hurts though 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The one I bought the shop don’t have any at the moment, it’s no doubt essentially the same as this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bright-12000LM-CREE-T6-LED-Mountain-Bike-Light-Cycling-Bicycle-Head-Light-/162307810559?hash=item25ca4ca4ff:g:Y-4AAOSwo4pYGJhq

The one above looks like more of a torch? I use a GoPro mount on the bottom of the light which attaches to a bar mounted GoPro mount.

I do the same on the helmet too, but use the low profile mount so it doesn’t stick up in the air (use a Torchy modified Solarstorm on my head.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Zippykona.. thanks for that. It’s so ugly it hurts though

I believe i called it an abomination in another thread 😆

DezB
    Free Member

I have an L&M Seca 1500 (less than £200 if you buy battery & headlamp seperately – here ). I’m sure its not as dazzlingly bright as a 6pack, but I really can’t imagine needing more light from the same unit. Small one on the helmet in addition and it’s all you need.

zippykona

And it’s attached to a fat bike.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

chilled76 – Member
    To be honest £250 for a Gemini which looks like a cheapy Chinese light with rubber band mounts isn’t an option. If it was £100 it would be a contender but at £250 I’d rather buy something that has a more complete finish to it.

I’ve had cheap chinese lights in the past and currently have an Exposure Axis on my helmet. The Gemini doesn’t look or feel like the cheap chinese stuff and it’s MUCH brighter than my mate’s Hope R8. The head unit is so light that the rubber band mounts make perfect sense.

Each to their own though – am sure the Six pack is mega!

deadkenny
    Free Member

My Four4th Holy Moses. Technically about as bright as Exposure 6 pack on max setting, but neither would you use for long on max as run time will be very short. Exposure’s normal setting is perhaps higher than this one on medium (which is typically the normal setting I’d use, especially on group rides).

Not integrated battery, and Exposure’s battery is a much higher capacity, surprising in such a small enclosure, but then it’s a lot more expensive.

There’s a nice combined bar & battery mount too for these now.

J273
    Free Member

@Zippykona I bought one of those torches from a recommendation in the other all in one light thread.

Its incredibly bright and very impressive. Im using torchy batteries but they are well too tight in the torch they are impossible to remove which is a shame ? i might try modding for a bit more clearance 😕

Do you use flat or button top cells?

Ta

shredder
    Free Member

Lumicycle Explorer.
    Mine is superb and boosts to 3500 lumen.

Add another light unit to the system at a later date for double Sun power… 😀

reggiegasket
    Free Member

big fan of Exposure – build, practicality, reliability, mounts, (but not the switching oddness). I have a Strada for commuting, and Diablo and Joystick for various other duties.

But I still love my Lumicycle for MTBing 🙂

chilled76
    Free Member

Funnily enough I rode with someone this evening who had a mk7 6 pack. He let me have a play with it whilst he was fixing a puncture. Totally smitten with these now, the spread and use ability of the beam blows those Chinese lights out of the water.

Definitely getting one of these now, just need to wait until evans have another sale!

hora
    Free Member

Tick

zippykona

J273 I’m using conventional looking batteries and they are a snug fit but nothing too crazy. My previous light which looks similar used to have the batteries rattle like a mad thing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Funnily enough I rode with someone this evening who had a mk7 6 pack. He let me have a play with it whilst he was fixing a puncture. Totally smitten with these now, the spread and use ability of the beam blows those Chinese lights out of the water

Aye, but ye canny put a 6pack on yer lid, which is the only place I use a light whilst mtbing.

Love my diablo up top, only see the big exposure lights being any good for road, cx or long straight off roads. If it can’t point where I’m looking, it’s no good to me.

superfli
    Free Member

Four4th for me, but appreciate the all in one solution. I have the enduro mount for my holy Moses on bar (battery and light on one bracket). Got an exodus on lid and that’s on 3rd or 4th winter, riding every week. My mate has an early exodus from 4 or 5 years ago and his is still going strong (same battery).
    Very well made lights and great customer service from a local enthusiastic company

dabaldie
    Free Member

I have a sixpack..thanks to Evans. It replaces my Mk 3 MaxxD
    Its incredible but one word of warning. You have to use it on the lowest setting on the road if there is any traffic. I often get flashed if I forget to switch it down. Even Flash mode is too bright..

As an off road it cant be beaten imo. I tend to use my Maxx D for commuting now, in conjunction with a lezyne Micro on my lid.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@nobeer, totally agree that if you are only using 1 light it should be helmet mounted – almost mandatory for twisty singletrack imo.
    Disagree about the big exposure lights only being for straight stuff though, they do flood an incredible area which makes them much more practical than logic would dictate.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ve got a mk11 joystick on the lid gents but thanks anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anything as bright as an exposure 6 pack?’ is closed to new replies.