Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Anyone want to adopt a 10yo? (Will include a free broken 4k TV).
  • PrinceJohn

For those who keep saying that 4k on a TV is a silly amount of money, you do understand that the op is probably talking about the resolution of said tv and not the dollar they dropped to purchase it…

anagallis_arvensis

For those who keep saying that 4k on a TV is a silly amount of money, you do understand that the op is probably talking about the resolution of said tv and not the dollar they dropped to purchase it…

No.

perchypanther
    Free Member

WTF does a 12 year old need a £500 iphone for?

Not that it’s, even slightly, anyone elses concern but mine, however…

She doesn’t NEED it it all….. but like most girls her age she really, really wanted it.

So, about two years ago , when she was in Primary 5, I offered her a deal….

I would buy her one of these…

on the same day that she brought me home one of these..

Two years passed and she held up her end of the bargain and so did I.

I’d say she’s demonstrated a level of maturity beyond her years and worked extremely hard to achieve her personal goals.

Best £500 I ever spent…. until she dropped it.
    She is, however paying for the phone repairs out of her own savings.

Now I just need to find someone to teach a 12 year old girl how to do tiling…

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair he’s not definitively clarified, but I am amused by the faux outrage of folk this being he’s talking price, particularly given a TV will likely get used far more than a bike of a equivalent value.

MrNice
    Free Member

I assumed most of the “4 thousand WTF?!?” posts were subtle(ish) trolls

Edric64
    Free Member

My then 10 year old son broke a neighbours window with a flimsy plastic racquet. The sort you buy for a couple of quid to take to the beach

Wally

I am Wally’s daughter, I have just started secondary and now have an IPhone 5s bought from here. I have to admit it wasn’t easy begging my dad for a phone, but I think I’ve got the knack of it ;-). Although I did contribute money towards it and it was second hand. I don’t believe my phone controls my life as such but help with situations that can be related to school work. I find the urge for kids my age to get an expensive phone is to be labelled as “trendy” and “popular”, having a weird dad like Wally makes being trendy a distant option when I’m with him. Fortunately, dad bought me the biggest and brightest rubbery atrocity of a case which has been dropped more times than Wally knows. Another top tip is to announce a top CAT test result before asking for more credit, mwhahaha.

My IPhone is surprisingly not broken, but I’ve had a first hand experience of IPads and Kitchen Floors, I learnt lots of new words that day.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I am Wally’s daughter, I have just started secondary and now have an IPhone 5s bought from here. I have to admit it wasn’t easy begging my dad for a phone, but I think I’ve got the knack of it ;-). Although I did contribute money towards it and it was second hand. I don’t believe my phone controls my life as such but help with situations that can be related to school work. I find the urge for kids my age to get an expensive phone is to be labelled as “trendy” and “popular”, having a weird dad like Wally makes being trendy a distant option when I’m with him. Fortunately, dad bought me the biggest and brightest rubbery atrocity of a case which has been dropped more times than Wally knows.

Includes both grammar and punctuation.
    Clearly NOT written by an apparently four fingered 12 year old girl with an iphone, then.
    I dunno, grown men posing as teenage girls on the internet. Who’d a thunk it? 😯

Wally

Dad was supervising and I find spell check very useful. Bye
    Dad here, I have regained control. All is well, she has run upstairs with her phone, Netflix and wireless laptop. What could go wrong?

v8ninety

This thread is Trollville, located near Troll Lake City, located in the State of Trollabama, in the United States of Mythical Underbridge Dwelling Beasts. It’s got double, triple bluff trolling going on.

Ken M would be proud.

wors

Whats the coin thingy?

scandal42
    Free Member

I don’t have kids, but the thought of a child with a device that can run things like snapchat etc at a young age is rather concerning.

Well actually it’s not as I don’t have kids.

As you were

Wally

DUX = Latin for leader, so leader of reading is my guess.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Whats the coin thingy?

That, my friend, is a Dux medal.
    It’s awarded to the one student in the final year of school who has performed best academically. Cleverist kid in the whole school.

Kind of a big deal.

Kinda like a valedictorian in America.

Might be just be a Scottish thing though.

I’m hoping she doesn’t win the Dux at high school. I’ll need to buy her a car. 😯

franksinatra

when my daughters were about 4 and 2 they decorated my wifes car by using stones to scratch love hearts into the paintwork. Bless them.

Last week my now 8 year old daughter managed to break a microwave, digital radio, weather station display thingy and a kitchen cupboard door in one go whilst getting a chocolate penguin out of the snack cupboard.

scaredypants

Whats the coin thingy?

Dux medallion

… about $30 online 😉

wors

Last week my now 8 year old daughter managed to break a microwave, digital radio, weather station display thingy and a kitchen cupboard door in one go whilst getting a chocolate penguin out of the snack cupboard.

LOL!!!!!

hammerite
    Free Member

Scandal42 – worth researching before commenting! It is very easy to run apps like Snapchat, you are right. But on an iPhone it’s equally as easy to lock down the apps that can be used to ones which are age appropriate (7+, 12+ and 17+ iirc).

It’s also very easy to set up the App Store account in the parents name, with the parents bank details and using the parents password to authorise any app purchases. If said parent doesn’t share their password with their child then the child can’t download anything. Although it doesn’t stop that child trying to pull the wool over your eyes with regards to the apps they want!

scandal42
    Free Member

Research takes the fun out of judging others.

No way am I giving that up.

Phones melt children’s eyes and cause them to become consumerist monsters that wouldn’t think twice about killing a kitten to get the latest gadget.

The future is bleak

IdleJon

hammerite – Member
    Scandal42 – worth researching before commenting! It is very easy to run apps like Snapchat, you are right. But on an iPhone it’s equally as easy to lock down the apps that can be used to ones which are age appropriate (7+, 12+ and 17+ iirc

This is true but kids also use tech in a way that older generations don’t and spend half their lives trying to break rules.

I’ve never used Twitter, it had never crossed my mind that my daughter might be using it. Not until a phone call from the school telling us that she had posted a picture of one of her friends in a tu-tu. Unfortunately her friend, Dylan, is male and didn’t appreciate the whole school laughing at his tu-tu picture. (We have a good relationship with the school and Dylan’s parents, thankfully.)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I did what the O.P’s kiddie did but dropped a marble which bounced…

My Dad went ballistic with his sports shoe on my butt!

hammerite
    Free Member

Quite IdleJon. You don’t even need stuff like Twitter. Jnr and his mates got in trouble on a residential school trip as they got hold of a friend’s phone and sent messages using fairly low tech text messaging. Jnr’s part in it wasn’t actually the sending of the messages, but told the other boys their friend’s phone’s passcode. Why he knew it I have no idea, but he got a suitable a*se kicking by the school and at home!

Trouble is you can stop a kid doing stuff like that using a smart phone, but they’ll use a computer, tablet, TV, Playstation etc… At least by locking down Jnr’s iPhone it is something we have some degree of control over.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I remember as a kid persuading my big sister to show how strong she was by releasing the car hand brake while it was parked in the slightly sloping garage during a wet Easter holiday.

Our neighbour across the road was not impressed when it rolled through his living room wall and broke his new Bang & Olufon TV.

Only TV breakage that I have been involved in*.

*Hope Mum doesn’t read this, I denied all involvement at the time

atlaz
    Free Member

For me 4 k on a TV is obscene.

For most people even 1k on a bike is equally obscene, let alone the value of bikes the average STW member has.

atlaz
    Free Member

I am Wally’s daughter…

Fur coat. Red Nails. Ostentatious iphone case. I reckon that’s Wally cross dressing for trollollolls

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Can’t believe how close to the edge of the panel it hit, quarter of an inch to the right and no one would have known.

It was £800 when I bought it a few months ago (debit card) but has been reduced to £650. Said 10yo is now chief hooverer/washerer upperer and bin emptier.

Xylene
    Free Member

There is a Jimmy Saville, Jim will fix it joke somewhere in this thread

lemonysam
    Free Member

For most people even 1k on a bike is equally obscene, let alone the value of bikes the average STW member has.

Walking past Start Cycles a few weeks ago there was a family peering in through the window looking at the rather nice Cannondale full sus on display. as I passed I heard mum say to the kids “£1500 quid, imagine the TV you could buy with that”. It made me feel a little sad inside.

br
    Free Member

I don’t have kids, but the thought of a child with a device that can run things like snapchat etc at a young age is rather concerning.

If you had kids you’d realise that it is just a part of their ‘education’, along with tying shoelaces and realising that the kettle could have very, very hot water in it.

Harry_the_Spider

The day we moved house i was measuring up to mount the wall bracket for our TV. I dropped the tape.

Guess where it landed.

:-S

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Anyone want to adopt a 10yo? (Will include a free broken 4k TV).’ is closed to new replies.