Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone using a Whoop Band?
  • mos

Hi y’all, just been watching some reviews of these on line & was wondering if anyone on here has used one & what their experiences were & wether you think they are worth the outlay, have you noticed any benefits etc.?

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering this as well. I just cant justify the price of the subscription model.

Been looking at a Garmin forerunner 245 as an alternative. Garmin’s body battery seems pretty similar and the watch will be more useful in general.

bigyim
    Free Member

I had one and was cool for about a month. Problem is you’re locked in for a contract so they work out very expensive for what they are.

sailor74
    Free Member

i have one, been using it for around 4 months, in short im not convinced.

the biggest issue i have with it is that apparently i get a much harder workout cleaning my bike than i do from actually riding it. this comes down to fit and Whoop do say that the band doesnt fit everyone perfectly. the solution apparently is to spend even more cash on an arm band. i have tried using it on my other wrist which helps but that means wearing my garmin watch on the other arm which i dont like

the other thing i have noticed is the wide range of data that is recorded for example my Heart Rate Variability has been between 27 and 101, and my resting heart rate 40 to 61. now i had surgery recently and consequently lost some fitness so that may explain the raise in resting heart rate but apparently last night my sleep performance was 98%, pretty good, yet my recovery was only 46%. contrast to Tuesday where i only got 80% of the sleep i needed but my recovery was 95%, and in actual fact i was wrecked all day after a big ride the day before.

ive been thinking about taking it off for a couple of weeks, but i kinda like seeing what it says each morning. i have been disregarding daily activity as i get too many false readings and focusing on recovery, but as already mentioned it seems hit and miss.

mos

Cheers for the replies. Sounds like it would be a tool for telling me things that I could already figure out with a bit of research.

mactheknife

Chris Kilmurray who trains a few athletes recommends a Bluetooth HRM and the ithlete App. Works out of a lot cheaper the woop. But I have no idea of the accuracy. More of an observation

john_l
    Free Member

Tried one for 8 months and really wanted to like it. I think a lot of people get on fine with them, but I just didn’t trust the data, it seemed overly sensitive and unable to properly distinguish between sleep stages, particularly light sleep and awake.

Other people seem to get on fine. YMMV.

I’ve got a 3.0 and a 2.0 with charging pucks if anyone wants them. Don’t know what they’re worth and you’d need a sub.

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

I’ve been using one since the beginning of the year in the hope that I could incorporate it into my training (possibly not the best move given the entire XC calendar in my area has been binned for the foreseeable future).
    The metrics that are produced by the strap are quite interesting but agree that some of the readings aren’t always 100% accurate. Despite this, I’ve been trying to train according to my daily suggested ‘Day Strain’ but it isn’t always easy as I’m quite an active person and the target can often be reached by more mundane tasks such as walking the dogs, washing the car and doing other such jobs around the house before even getting on the bike.
    I also work 12 hour shifts, including night shifts which really confuses the numbers and then trying to train accordingly is a nightmare.
    I think it’s best suited to someone who works the standard 9 til 5, Monday to Friday and can train a set amount of time on certain days and stick to a routine. I’ve found that since my lifestyle is very much outside those parameters – I have a family and other commitments, then it’s not easy to live with.
    Ultimately, I’ll probably use it until I’m no longer tied in to the contract by which time I’ll hopefully be able to predict what it’s likely to tell me, then sack it off.
    If I’ve learnt anything from it so far it’s that, ultimately, sleep (and getting as much as you can at any given opportunity) is the key to everything.

chrisyork

Pretty sure Ben Cathro has/had one for his training….worth Checking his videos

ogden
    Free Member

Pretty sure Ben Cathro has/had one for his training….worth Checking his videos

Depends if it’s out of his own pocket or he’s been given it really. Pay me to use it and I’ll tell everyone it’s great.

john_l
    Free Member

It’s really a recovery band, with the biggest variable being HRV and there are other tools out there like EliteHRV or HRV4Training.

I found the insight useful though. Interesting to see how different food types and alcohol effect HRV and HR through the night. Big difference between Whoop and other optical wrist based products is the frequency with which it measures HR – something like 100 times a second Vs once every couple of minutes like Garmim (when you’re not measuring a specific activity).

Maybe worth it for the min sub period.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone using a Whoop Band?’ is closed to new replies.