Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone running standard [25.4] bars by choice?
  • inkster
    Free Member

As it says really.

Xylene
    Free Member

yes

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yes +1

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

can i add to the title with "why?"
    – genuinely curious, not good or bad just wondering why.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

…because I havent broken them. 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Yes because I think they look better. 31.8 looks chunky and childish to me.

Xylene
    Free Member

Good deal on the bars.

I have Good n Evil grips on them which sorted out the narrowness of the bars for me as well.

Do OS bars need OS grips?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have standard bars on most of my bikes. Why? Lights fit on easier, interchangeable with the other bikes, why fix what isn't broken.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

yes, can't get along with other bars

U31
    Free Member

Yup.
    On one and Diamondback. Reason? adequate for the job.
    Oversize on the Orange. why? I'm an as gay as a lord fashion victim.

crazy-legs

Always had them, no reason to change.

inkster
    Free Member

Why?…….

Because I think running a skinny bar with a stiff [thompson] stem gives a less harsh ride whilst still retaining steering stiffness.

Upgrading so wondering if i'm behind the times or should just stick with my old school ways?

Fluff66
    Free Member

Can't see the point in OS bars. I've never snapped a set of standard ones. Just another MTB fashion IMHO.

If you're prepared to be scorned for flying in the face of the latest trend, it means (for the moment anyway) you can now pick up bars like Azonic Revenge for peanuts (and pick up stems at a similar price, or less, off eBay).

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yes.
    My bars haven't stopped working simply because of the existence of another standard.

Raouligan
    Free Member

31.8 started as a road bike standard didn't it?

Sort of the reverse of 11/8th Ahead, I'm guessing there's not a lot of difference between an awful lot of road and MTB stems these days excusing graphics, and reduced manufacturer cost ;0)

richcc
    Free Member

I'm with inkster. Thomson stem and some big wide Salsa bars. Work fine, no need to change 'em. Just thinking if I had to replace stem and bars it would never even cross my mind to go O/S – just not something that's on my radar.

schmiken

Yep, it's lighter.

GW
    Free Member

yeah, on 2 DH bikes, 1 mini DH and 1 dirtjump hardtail
    if MX bikes can happily run 22.2 I'm sure 25.4 is OS enough for DH 😉

shed loads of folk run weedy flexy stems with OS bars, now that is stupid!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Yup

neninja
    Free Member

Standard size carbon bar on the Anthem X. I had a Thomson stem in the right length that was a 25.4 and RF Next SL carbon bars which were much nicer than the OEM kit so I swapped them over. Subsequently put a wider 680mm 25.4 Sunline V-one carbon bar on.

I actually think the thinner bar suits the XC style of the Anthem.

Got an OS bar on the trail bike.

tron
    Free Member

Yep. I've got a selection of 25.4 stems, and if you look at any bars that come in both 25.4 and 31.8, the 25.4 is considerably lighter – 50g in a lot of cases. Makes it a bit of a no-brainer for me.

I don't really believe there's a great deal of flex in the steering system – my bars do seem to flex a little if you're deliberately compressing the forks with all your bodyweight, but I never need to pull on the bars at all hard to steer.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Yep

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running standard [25.4] bars by choice?’ is closed to new replies.