Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Anyone running Exposure lights and like to comment on them?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

And what is the total weight of a 601 or trout light?

And even if the six pack does have a charge time of 12 hours (is it?), who cares? Doesn’t really make any difference, how often do you go for a night ride 12 hours after the last one finished? And if you do, just turn it down to 960 lumens and you’re fine for 10 hours.

I do like how you judge the mounts without ever having used one, very STW.

All exposure lights come with the ability to run an optional remote switch I think.

Never heard of an exposure light overheating. Maybe they’re just better designed..

601/Troutie price – £300ish
    Six Pack – £500ish

I enjoyed that. £405 is £500ish is it? And £350 is £300ish?

I also enjoyed the battery comments. When it goes wrong on a 601 or trout, you have to buy a new one, if it goes wrong on an exposure, they fix it for you for free..

Also just for fun, what mountain bike in the last mag did a group test on lights. the six pack came top, 4/5 stars “brutally powerful illumination… low weight single-can convenience and upgrade options”. then the diablo, 4/5 stars “super powerful expandable helmet/race light for weight watchers”. In 8th, the troute 7up, 3/5 “clumsy bag battery lets it down”. 15th, troute 3up, 2.5/5 “light output and battery need refining”.

Didn’t see any luminous lights in the test though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

surf mat – clearly because he owns a 601 he believes it IS THE BEST and no big corporate make can compete!!!!

typical BMW driver…..

its all balls you bought it, you like it, we bought maxx daddys we like them, i enjoy just plugging mine on my bar and taking it off…you think your lights the dogs danglys, i think mine is! end of.

i say hats off to troutie and luminous, they look like good lights – i like the liberator a lot even though it looks like something from the 80s’ but it packs a punch and alot of time and effort has gone into them…

however im sure equal time/money and effort has gone into the exposure stuff, and the against points you reel off for the exposure lights is ridiculous…

burn time is excellent, it weighs hardly a thing, charge time is done overnight so doesnt bother me (yes it could be shorter i guess, minor flaw), 960 lumens is plenty, overheating?!?!?!?!?? never heard that, got in touch with exposure about some sililcone bands for the new maxx daddy design as mine is the 960 one and sent me a couple of free new bands out FOC! all in all my customer service has been second to none, and ive had no issues with it at all in a year of constant usage!

as im pretty sure if these two guys werent on here flogging there lights, your next point of call would have perhaps been a ermmmmm exposure light would it not?!?!?!? of course you;ll disagree though i expect 😉 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Oh dear Realman. You aren’t too good at this are you?

The Exposure mounts have often been criticised and are mentioned in the WMB test.

A LL can be had for £285.
    A Six Pack is £450 on CRC with a discount.

If a Smudge battery fails, you get it replaced but batteries WEAR OUT over time – did you not know that? If Exposure will replace a worn battery FOC my name is Bob.

And why defend them so much? You run their pretty average little torch subsitute not a proper light. I ran a weedy Hope 1 but don’t feel the need to jump in and defend all Hope lights.

A bit like a Corsa 1.2 owner “defending” a VXR8…

And as for the comments – Even Troutie is not sure why they tested his (now out of production) 7UP – it’s the LL that’s his trump card with more power and less weight. If they’d tested this, it would have been a different score completely. If the 601 had been tested, it would have done very very well. Guaranteed.

Oh and you mention me being “very STW” – I’ve SEEN a Six Pack and held it. I have TESTED a 601 and LL together. And yourself? Reading from a review without any other actual contact with the lights you are criticizing.

Your argument is weedier than your stature.

Didzy – BMW is a big corporation. Which kind of kills your “argument” stone dead. if I drove a niche little car, maybe it would carry some weight. And for the last time, many BMWs are CR4P.

dazzlingboy

yay – this is great craic!

I’m trading up from Enduro Maxx to LL3 for handlebars and from L&M Arc to Diablo for the helmet – so I’ll be able to tell you the whole story when my LL3 arrives!

woffle
    Free Member

And even if the six pack does have a charge time of 12 hours (is it?), who cares? Doesn’t really make any difference,

I would do. I get in at 6-7pm, I’m out the door again at 3:45/4am. One of the reasons I’ve gone with a trout this winter rather than a 6-pack / Maxx-D.

I also enjoyed the battery comments. When it goes wrong on a 601 or trout, you have to buy a new one, if it goes wrong on an exposure, they fix it for you for free..

No they don’t, not always and it’s not always as quick as you want or need. They also kept replacing the PCB in mine when I swear it was the battery that degraded.

Never heard of an exposure light overheating. Maybe they’re just better designed..

The Maxx-D was meant to only be run on full when on the move – it would get hot in the hands within 10 minutes when I was using it as a torch…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Do Exposure use magic LEDs that don’t get hot? Amazing!

RealMan
    Free Member

A Six Pack is £450 on CRC with a discount.

£405 off wiggle with no discount.

On the luminous website it said the light was £350.

The Exposure mounts have often been criticised and are mentioned in the WMB test.

Yes, they are mentioned in the WMB test.

“quick release bar mount has stayed secure however hard we’ve ridden it”

Thanks for highlighting that point 😀

The 2 year warranty on the 6 pack is nice too.

I’ve SEEN a Six Pack and held it.

Cool story 😉

I wouldn’t say I’m defending them, they pretty much defend themselves. I don’t need to distort facts and figures make them look better then something else.

Also, who are you trying to convince that exposure aren’t as good? Me? Or yourself? Buyers regret maybe?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

but its a bike light – not a torch?!!?!?!? point surely invalid, and not a flaw against its intended use?

either way im not bothered really i got my brand new maxx daddy for 250 last year, its been hassle free so who i am to say anything bad against them – the mount is good i find with the correct silicone band which all new 2011 lights come with….

why is this a light war? who cares whose is the brightest?? as long as you are comfortable with yours and it allows you to ride at night thats all that matters and all that its needed for!

toons
    Free Member

I had a LL on order with Trout but cancelled for the six pack. I got the six pack for almost the same price, as the LL with endurance battery.

I’ve been using dealextreme torches with exposure mounts for the last two seasons and never ever ever had a problem.

In the end it was all down to the wires wires wires and the separate battery pack rubbing dirt\sand\grit into the frame or bars.

My fellow night rider has a LL on order and I can’t wait to compare them.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

From Wiggle website:

Exposure Six Pack Front Light
    SAVE 10%
    Pay : £405.00 – so that makes the RETAIL price £450.

Oh and from the test – “We’d be wary of recommending it for regular big drop or crash-prone riders though…” You forgot that bit didn’t you realmouse?

601 – 2 year warranty which is nice too.

It’s not who is the best – Exposures seem good but just like deranged Orange owners who can’t see past anything else, they are not necessarily “the best” and there are other excellent, and cheaper, alternatives.

Will be interesting to see what toons thinks once he gets the chance to compare directly.

Buyers regret? There you go again, the Corsa 1.2 driver trying to have a go at 335d driver because “he should have got a VXR8” again… 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I’ve never really been interested in cars. I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

Yes, so add on a £5 off £50, or if you have a platinum discount or whatever, and you can get the 6 pack for less then £400.

So are we in agreement then, the exposure mounts are perfect for everyone but riders who crash a lot? Although I do know a couple of guys with exposure bar and helmet mounted lights who crash a lot and they’ve never had problems.

Realmouse? Have you actually given up trying to debate like an adult and are going instead for petty insults (I’m assuming that was supposed to imply something insulting)?

The fact is, ignoring price, and just looking at it for what it is, exposure are the best. In every way. Splutter away.

toons
    Free Member

“We’d be wary of recommending it for regular big drop or crash-prone riders though…”

Another fellow night rider is an ex-world cup rider and pretty handy at dropping. He’s just got a six pack as well, so that’s going to be interesting.

Also I tend to crash a lot and i’ve never had a light pop out of the helmet or bar mount.

Happy riding 🙂

Paul @ DHW by james_ferguson, on Flickr

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hey toons! quick Q! the dx torches, i have been using a pretty crappy universal nylon mount from there site on this torch

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12325

tis a cracking helmet light TBH and accompanied by the maxx daddy it gives off an incredible amount of light, but my only concern is the mount im using is a bit flimsy

do you know if those exposure helmet mounts will fit the torch above?? if so which model exposure helmet light mount would i need??? many thanks hopefully you have the same torch 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

So are we in agreement then, the exposure mounts are perfect for everyone but riders who crash a lot? Although I do know a couple of guys with exposure bar and helmet mounted lights who crash a lot and they’ve never had problems

The Maxx-D was prone to popping out of it’s mount last winter the few times I came off. It also had a tendency to work loose and then blind me as it swung down to hang upside done on the bars. Seems to be less of an issue with my Endura Maxx, likewise the rattling issue – wonder if it’s down to weight. I’d expect that the latter has been sorted in the 2010/2011 versions.

The fact is, ignoring price, and just looking at it for what it is, exposure are the best. In every way. Splutter away.

Splutter. Having owned 6 Exposure lights over the last 2 years I’d agree they’re good but the best? Nope – as ever it tends to be horses for courses though it never ceases to amaze me the amount of brand loyalty some people tend to exhibit, though it’s not wholly surprising that having splashed out for a light you’re going to defend the reasoning (though the vehemence rather reminds me of the arguments we used to have at school over the best trainers)

For what it’s worth – if money were no object then I’d get a couple of Lupines…

Tinners

Interesting thread (apart from the offensive bits, that is). I can see both points of view. I’ve been thinking of getting a Diablo as a helmet light. Never done any night riding before and not sure yet whether it’s worth shelling out on a Trout/Luminous light or going for something cheaper like a Magicshine to see if I like night riding and can justify the cost of getting a more expensive one (rather than gathering dust, unused). A friend of mine has recently bought one of the spokebloke lights and I borrowed it for my first solo night ride on Monday – hugely impressed. For my riding, I can’t imagine needing more. I can see the benefits of both all in one and separate battery lights. Fenix sounds good as a helmet light, too.
    P.S. Has anyone seen the Alan Partridge episode where he’s sat on the bed quoting the latest “What car” review of his ex wife’s new boyfriend’s car? If you have, you’ll get a sense of deja vu reading this thread……

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

There you go Real ahem Man – the views of someone who has owned SIX Exposure lights; woffle.

You also completely fell over by saying the lights you prefer are “the best” – debate FAIL.

Tinners – others started the car comparisons. I just ran along with them.

toons
    Free Member

That’s the one I’ve been using with exposure bar and helmet mounts.

You need the joystick mount.

BTW the torch doesn’t move a mm

900 Lumen Maxxis Joystick by james_ferguson

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just to re-iterate though surf-mat, it also means you home made ones are not THE best either, horses for courses as someone above said!

they are all decent lights in there own way, obviously suit the rider better which ever he has chosen…..

and the alan partridge quote i believe is a long the lines of ‘with a mere 100bhp the megane really starts to struggle on motorways’ haha i can see your point whomever stated that!

ANYWAYS DO THE DX TORCHES WORK WITH EXPOSURE HELMET MOUNTS?!?!??!?!?!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

TOOOOOONS HERO STATUS ACHIEVED!!!

i had no idea they would work!!!

superb stuff, does it fit snuggly? no wobbling etc with head movement??

top lad cheers for that and the pic!!!

toons
    Free Member

NO MOVEMENT, not even a mm

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

😆 sorry was jizzing and didnt read! mint stuff and even the same helmet light! awesome stuff!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

seriously thanks for that toons, really appreciated! does the back of the torch just clip onto the mount? ive never seen a mount in the flesh but they look like the torches just clip on? which doesnt sound like it would be secure, but if no movement it must be, or are you able to tigten the the actual bit the torch sits in to give it a snug fit? sorry to be a pain! thanks again!

toons
    Free Member

Just clips in and works.

There’s adjustment in the mount, clip in the torch and them move to correct position

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers toons, just to confirm this is the one i’ll need? wiggle dont have any in stock so CRC it is 🙂 just let us know thats the correct one and ill get it ordered 🙂

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=9425

toons
    Free Member

Yep

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers dude! thanks again for the help!

toons
    Free Member

Its ok, that torch & mount rocks 🙂

Just had the 6 pack in the garden, its quite bright!! The wife said the box\torch looks like a sex toy!!!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im just a bit behind you in brightness terms 🙂 maxx daddy 960 and the same helmet ligh :p

was a bit dubious even taking the torch on the helmet with the cheapo dx nylon one, it just doesnt feel secure using velcro, much prefer a piece of engineered plastic 🙂

cant wait now!

used my maxx daddy in pure darkness (unlit) everywhere for the first time properly last night (everywhere i ride tends to tag onto lighting on roads etc, but i turned it off for a sec down some woods and i was in total and utter darkness, i switch the maxx on full whack it was just a huge huge light area all around, cant imagine what its gonna be like with another 900 (more like 400-500 lumens) on meeee bonce now too! bring on the mega early dark nights 😆

dyls

Had my maxx d and diablo for a while now. The diablo is very bright at its maximum setting (claimed 900 lumen). I use this by itself for local rides from my house (with a backup battery) and just take along the maxx d when I go proper offroading. ALso the maxx d is smaller in size than I thought it would be.

toons
    Free Member

I used the 6 pack last night for the first time! This light is quality, I was blown away.

Can’t wait to see the LL with another 200 lumens!

I’ll try and get some beam shots.

terrahawk
    Free Member

this thread reminds me of Spectrum/Commodore/Atari arguments at school.

Clong
    Free Member

I very much doubt you will notice the extra 200 lumens, the differences will be down to the optics etc.

I used Exposure lights for about 3 years, after 10 years or so of commuting with battery pack type lights, they were a godsend. Most of the failures i experienced were down to the cables in some way. Water ingress, cable breaks etc. The ease with which the light is attached is a big draw for me too, during the commute i’ll take my light off 2-3 times and the faff with the cable was a pain, especailly when raining or cold and i just want to get going.

As for being the best lights? Maybe, depending on your criteria. I think light and motion have better optics, but thats a bit subjective as some prefer narrow beams, some prefer wide beams. Over all i rate the Exposure lights highly, i’ve owned/own the Joystick, Daiblo, Enduro Maxx, Maxx Daddy & Six pack and not had a problem with any of them.

Apologies for beeing late to the party, btw.

brassneck

Tinners – buy a Spokebloke or DX light first. If you end up night riding a lot, you can sell them on for a reasonable price and buy soemthing bigger, should you feel the need. I really liked the look of the spokebloke light.. if I were in the market for a ‘big’ one I’d probably get a Trout ‘is this Stamford Bridge???’ job.

I own an iBlaast II, a Fenix torch, an old Dinotte, several thousand 6v halogens.. and usually ride with the DX (magicshine) and an alpkit head torch in my pocket. Because it’s good enough and cheap, and usually charged.

Borrowed an Exposure for D2D some years back, it failed seconds into my first lap. Leaves a bad impression, so much as I like the design, I doubt I’d buy one.

bigjim

I have an exposure joystick maxx from 2008 i think. Its OK, the reflector has this big chunk missing out of it which is apparently where they snap it off the jig, and there were some other bits of plastic dust and stuff in it too, but the rest of it is pretty solid. It doesn’t like the cold though, and starts showing the low charge level much sooner when its cold, and then recovers a bit once you are back in the warm. The charger developed a loose connection within a few uses, so you have to kind of pull or push the cable into it until it makes a connection. House hasn’t burnt down yet. Then i bought a DX P7 torch and became sad I’d spent so much on the joystick. Then became more sad when the clever smartport plug in stuff came out that I couldn’t use. Its good on the helmet though to fill in the gaps.

toons
    Free Member

Finally got to see the LL last night, wow that thing is bright!!

The light spread is different to the 6 pack, it’s higher and wider, the distance looks about the same.

john_l
    Free Member

My 2penneth…..

Loved them when they first came out, the cable free thing was a big step forward, but reliability & power wasn’t quite there – there were still some really good HID alternatives (Lupine, Hope, Lumi etc).

The reliability issues were quickly sorted & the current range is superb. Can’t see any reason to look elsewhere. Currently using a Strada for commuting which looks like it’s effectively 2 Joystick LEDS operated independently – one giving a nice wide flood & the other a nice tight spot straight down the road which can be dipped with the remote switch.

Also have a Diablo for helmet use off-road, with the Strada on the bars. Really, really good.

backhander
    Free Member

As I’m in the market for a set of lights, I’ve looked at the luminous lights website. Sorry lum, it’s a bit crap. First what does “complete light set” contain? Why do you not state lumens like everyone else so that we can easily compare? I don’t seem to be able to find out what £300 will get me.
    I’ve looked at troutes stuff too and it seems to be massively powerful but I don’t need that much I don’t think and they’re still expensive. Do either of these even supply a carry case? For £300 I’d expect them to. So, almost by default the Exposures look like the lights I shall buy (maxx d & joystick). I can’t make head nor tail of the DX website and I can’t even see onethelites at the moment.
    The maxx-d is available for £250 and the joystick for £120 at the moment (last years) brand new etc.

Coleman
    Free Member

backhander –
    Try and go for the 2011 lights if you can as they have the more powerful XPG led’s. Recently managed to get the Maxx D Mk3 for £260 from Wiggle.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Backhander – light unit, bar mount, cables and a battery included. Lum reckons lux is a better measure of light output but you are talking 1800-2000ish lumens, about the same as a Troutie LL.

traildog
    Free Member

Everyones need for lights are slightly different, which is why there are so many products on the market. Otherwise, it would be down to economy of scales.
    I’ve just got some Exposure lights as the all in one design is fantastic for commuting. No cables and just clipping on the lights is a big plus for me. The lights so far have been really good, I’m very happy with them.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Anyone running Exposure lights and like to comment on them?’ is closed to new replies.