• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone rent land?
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

Interested in buying a house partly cos it comes with the option to rent half an acre from the co-op (lots of co-op farming land round about). All I know so far is they defnly won’t sell it and it’s on a rolling contract (assuming annual).

Anyone any ideas if the co-op are likely to be interested in changing the terms to say a 50 year lease or something? Should we buy the house I don’t want to develop the half acre into a loverly garden/private riding circus for them to take it off me.

Ewan
    Free Member

i think you’d need planning permission to turn it into a garden.

jam-bo

I wouldn’t develop any land I didn’t own.

RobHilton
    Free Member

i think you’d need planning permission to turn it into a garden.

Ta for that – it is currently grassed so kinda garden-like already; something to add to my list of things to find out.

I’m not taking this (found on random website) as gospel:

You need planning permission to incorporate agricultural land into your garden. In some cases this is possible, but it depends on the site and the local area. However, you are perfectly entitled to use agricultural land for growing vegetables or planting trees. The key is that the land should not become domesticated and that a barrier, e.g. a fence, should remain between it and the garden.

but it sounds reasonably positive.

br
    Free Member

I wouldn’t develop any land I didn’t own.

Why, if you’ve a 50/100 year lease on it you’ll get the benefit.

You’ll find it was quite common practice all over in years gone by, and still is in expensive London areas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone rent land?’ is closed to new replies.