Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Anyone have a good reliable old car? (or no of one potentially going)
  • hora
    Free Member

Why risk it, especially with a child and if you break down, a night or 2 in a hotel will cost you more than a hire car anyway!

In part I totally agree. however I’ve never broken down or had UK breakdown cover. I put this down to partly luck but also a large dose of preventative maintenance. True there are things like belts snapping- but belts can snap on a brand new car just out of the factory. Coolant loss tends to be measurable within a couple of k’s etc etc. If a car really has been serviced regularly etc and you drive/base car on its condition (always buy on condition!) then within a week you’d ‘know’ if you had a pup. First drive normally gives you pointers/gut feel no?

Bro in law had a 02 320D up until recently and first drive I just thought ‘hes been had’. 🙁

binners

I’ve never broken down or had UK breakdown cover.

And in foolishly typing those words, you and your potential vehicle are now cursed!

hora
    Free Member

It is looking like the C1. A 3cylinder, newish marvel of 700kg’s.

jota180
    Free Member

It is looking like the C1. A 3cylinder, newish marvel of 700kg’s.

I’t’ll be fine, just factor in an extra enroute hotel stop if needed, it’ll be way cheaper than your other options

hora
    Free Member

Could stop in London at friends or a F1…

trail_rat
    Free Member

-” this time of year people aren’t selling good cheap cars, they’re selling cars that are failing in ways their circumstances can’t afford to fix.”

Yup. I have a golf whos waterpump died. Have a quote to repair it but the car really doesnt suit our needs

Want to buy it hora 🙂 its never been a taxi ! Fsh

Clong
    Free Member

Got a peugeot 206sw to sell. Its been utterly reliable in the 10 years the wife has had it, but she now has a comapany at long last.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

WCA’s offer is very generous and you’ll be hard pushed to beat it

Having been in said truck, to be BRUTALLY honest, I’d rather gouge out my own eyes with a spoon than drive it ANYWHERE. Unless its had some serious mechanical work, it’s rogered.

WCA – You know that’s true mate. 🙂

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Personally, I’d stick with a VAG diesel (early 2000s).

Y2K VW Caddy?

Two seater, obviously, with 151k on the clock, but its been as good as gold for us (we bought it for use as a Works van 18months ago and have put 20k on it). Also makes the perfect bike transporter (I put two fork-clamps in the back nr the bulkhead so can take two MTBs with the front wheels off).

It seriously has never missed a beat. New exhaust bits and a catalytic converter. Very, very reliable. It always amazes me. If I had the room and the finances I’d keep it myself for biking duties. Taxed and MOT til April. We are looking for £850.

PM if interested.

hora
    Free Member

Drive a van to Germany? No I think its going to have to be the C1 and all its tinny glory

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So, let me get this straight, you’re happy to put the missus and mini-you in a banger rather than hire something undoubtedly larger, more economical, more safe, more pleasant to drive hundreds of miles in?

What if you have a bad accident in some POS you paid £500 for vs a 1/2 year old hire car? Obviously the lure of bangernomics is great but not for a big journey and especially not with the family in it.

You are a daft lad Hora…

gravitysucks
    Free Member

53 plate Renault Megane Dynamique 1.4 diesel Hatchback
    Good runner, OH’s car and never let her down in the 6 years she’s had it running the kids about and work runs etc.
    Can’t remember mileage but certainly won’t be high, serviced regularly (Not renault) and always been fine.
    Nice safe family car. She’s just bought a 4 year old scenic to give us more space now the kids are older and all have bikes / crap etc to lug about other wise she’d have kept it for a long time.
    £800 Based tutherside of Stockport.

br
    Free Member

I can’t even come to imagine why you’d do anything other than either drive your new/nearly-new Citroen or fly/train and then hire…

Anyway, got rid of that old SX yet?

Scamper
    Free Member

Are you Hora, as in the Hora, right?

In that case why not spend more and have my 03 face lift impreza 5dr with 95k up and winter tyres. I’m MOTing it Thursday then its on AT for £1100.

hora
    Free Member

Jeez I really didnt fancy going in the C1. Plus it has winter fitted as well though.

maccruiskeen

In part I totally agree

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Northwind

Focus 1.6 petrol. They’re cheap to buy because they sold stacks of them and the engine’s pish. Pretty reliable, but also usually pretty transparent, they tend to fail or not fail with less inbetween than many other cars.

Tiboy

How about my 2.2D Almera? utterly reliable, not exciting, not fast, but 55mpg! In all seriousness, they are a great reliable car and I’d recommend one to anyone needing a workhorse, sailed through MOT and has had nothing except an oil change in the last year…

hora
    Free Member

Would I buy an old Impreza? Classic? (Pre bugeye) Maybe a few years ago.

Not for 1,000 miles in one sitting though

Scamper
    Free Member

what about post bug-eye? 😉

and you want to do a 1000 miles in a C1?

firestarter
    Free Member

Always fancied an impreza especially after having company cars that were a legacy and forester in days gone by. But service bills for the two I’ve used and the mpg figures put me off, that and some Bellend has just moved into our street with one and he seems to constantly be playing with it and revving its knackers off

hora
    Free Member

Scamper cat D?

I’d love another Subaru.

1,000mile in a C1? 12k in a 12plate. Aygo/C1 one of the funnest/basic experience in a car 🙂

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Hora I’ve a T reg 316 estate sat doing nothing.
    Been great while I’ve had it. Had front discs/pads and clutch done this year. Alongside 4 tyres not too Long ago.
    Tax/test isn’t huge anymore (feb/march) but having checked over should all be fine except needin the handbrake tightened.
    Estate so suitable for alps trip…

Tiboy

Scamper, if hora passes I might be interested, sounds like a fun change from a diesel almera… email in profile 😀

Scamper
    Free Member

No cat D, pucka Impreza 2.0 petrol sport, non turbo. Been meaning to sell it since i moved away from the shropshire hills 3 years ago 😀

Will fire off an email Tiboy, once its passed its MOT this week.

Tiboy

No problem, where did you end up moving to? min interest for me is having to commute over the Malverns in the snow/ice! and always fancied one…

Scamper
    Free Member

Moved to Birmingham. With winter tyres, real laugh to drive in the snow, and with a hill brake and low ratio box can get up just about anything. In fact, 2 winters ago i used it to pull cars and small trucks up snowed up road inclines around the local hospital when the City ground to a halt.

Bez

I’ve got an X-reg Xantia 2.0HDi, 50mpg, three owners and the second was my mum, always been serviced properly whenever required. 167k on it, should be good for another 100k. It’s been reliable for me, and has just had the clutch replaced and two new tyres. Taxed till March-ish and MOT’d until September. Ain’t worth a huge amount of cash but it’s a well-looked after car…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Gen 7 Celica? Mines not skipped a beat despite been tuned a bit. My mates is on 190k with only services and consumables since he had it new. The pre-facelift ones like a bit more oil than the newer 03 ones but you can pick one up for £900. Easily get bikes in the back with seat down and the 140 bhp version isn’t too thirsty and easier to sell on (lower insurance etc.) sits nice on motorway and the seats are really comfy but do need a bit of adjustment to be prefect on long journeys. Trusty engine and council estate ferarri looks bargain.

takisawa2

Rover 25 diesel. Had a couple, seemed pretty reliable. Engines a bit agricultural, but went well enough. Avoid the MG versions though, usually thrashed by oiks.

hora
    Free Member

More details on the Impreza please. How is it on coolant level/use? Markhoracekuk AT yahoo dot com

jota180
    Free Member

Just when you thought he’d been talked into taking the sensible route ……….. he wakes up and it’s back to square one 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn’t drive it there. For a start the difference in the fuel bill would make it silly. 50mpg+ at a steady versus <30mpg real world in the Subaru.

speshspenner
    Free Member

Hora, I’ve got a Citroen Berlingo 2.0hdi,The multispace one, just about to hit 110k miles on an 05 plate, just mot’d, wants for nothing. Massive load space, fold down the rear seats and you could sleep in it!,twin sliding doors, cd player!. New battery and oil change, I would think nothing of jumping in it and driving across Europe. Wife wants a Fiesta so it’s got to go. 2.5 k Ono. And im’e Cumbria based. Pictures on request.

flange
    Free Member

True there are things like belts snapping- but belts can snap on a brand new car just out of the factory.

What drugs are you on? Yes, a belt on a new car is just as likely to snap as one on a car costing £1500 and having done 100k+. Of course, that’s why manufacturers specify a belt change straight out the factory….

hora
    Free Member

flange you really do tire me. Have you thought about seeing my name as the author for a topic and deciding not to click in? A sort of self-control. I come on here to relax, act abit silly/let my hair down. If someone annoys me I wont open any topic that he starts.

flange
    Free Member

Have you thought about seeing my name as the author for a topic and deciding not to click in? Sort of self-control.

Nope – its like a moth to a flame, I have to comment.

You know in Fight Club where Tyler Durden is actually the narrator’s vision of himself . Well I’m actually you, posting as your alter ego, Flora.

‘You are not the car you drive’….

hora
    Free Member

Dorset knob thats stunning. Im interested in scampers but scampers where are you?!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Anyone have a good reliable old car? (or no of one potentially going)’ is closed to new replies.