• This topic has 43 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Anyone had a new boiler fitted recently??
  • renton
    Free Member

if so can anyone give me an idea on the sort of cost i can expect to rip out an old regualr boiler and tank and replace with a new combi boiler.

3 bed house with 7 rads if it helps.

boiler is likely to be a viessmann 26kw 100 range model.

cheers

steve

munkster
    Free Member

Replaced a v.old conventional and tank with a Glow Worm something-something in March. Also 9 new rads, 3 bed house. Was about £3500 I think. Would have been more (about another grand from memory) if we’d had the pipework replaced too. Can look up specifics if you need me to.

Happy so far but it hasn’t been *that* cold yet 😉

[edit]Just checked, it was £3580. Was the middle quote of three IIRC but liked this guy better, and this has been borne out, he’s been great in the meantime with little (unrelated) jobs here and there[/edit]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is the combi going in the same position as the old boiler/hot water tank etc?

5lab

around £2500, using existing radiators. its worth noting condensing boilers don’t run radiators as hot as old boilers, so if the house is struggling to get warm at the moment, you may need some bigger rads

jonjones262
    Free Member

About 2500. We had the one you’re lookIng at installed last year.

You’ve got to factor in the cost of the yearly service if you want the 5 year guarantee to remain valid

renton
    Free Member

boiler will be going in the same place as the old one.

running 7 rads and the house was plenty hot enough with them and quite efficent.

ive been given a rough estimate by the bloke who will be fitting it…

new veissmann 26kw vitodens 100 boiler

flush of old rads and refill with some inhibitor etc.

looking at around 1600(slightly more if needing a vertical flue.)

does this sound reasonable?

renton
    Free Member

About 2500. We had the one you’re lookIng at installed last year.

You’ve got to factor in the cost of the yearly service if you want the 5 year guarantee to remain valid

how are you finding the boiler so far then?

how much is the yearly service?

sugdenr
    Free Member

I paid 950 inc flue for a vitodens 200 33kw combi this time last year, a 26 is prob about 60 cheaper so your plumber wants 700 for the job. Say it takes him 3 days, which it shouldn’t….

vinnyeh

Probably not much help, but we had one done about 6 months back- London prices, never sure whether this makes it cheaper or more expensive- remove and dispose back boiler, hot water cylinder and loft tank, upgrade to 22mm copper pipe from street, power flush, install combi, and 2 new rads -£700. We supplied boiler and rads, he supplied copper. No making good.

renton
    Free Member

are worcester bosch boilers any good.

mate can discounts on greestar junior models…..

24i 650 quid

28i 730 quid?

zippykona

When we had ours done the hot water tank was out and taken by the scrappy within the first hour.
    Not sure what it was worth but it could be to your benefit to remove it and flog it yourself later on.

jonk

My mate who is in the trade highly rates Main boilers. He fitted a Main combi 30 recently for me for £710 all in.

RichPenny
    Free Member

We just had:

WB 24i
    New flue
    WB DT10RF wireless thermostat
    Inline descaler fitted to incoming supply
    Condensing pipework fitted
    Some extra pipework replaced
    Powerflush and clean of CH system

£1800. The other two quotes were £2650 and £3500! But they were from WB acredited suppliers so you’d get a longer warranty if you had them service yearly.

renton
    Free Member

richpenny whereabouts are you based??

vinnyeh

Worcester – make sure you get the condensate pipe lagged to prevent freezing. If you’re an absentee landlord you don’t want to paying for a plumber to come out at night cos the boiler’s stopped working.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Am in Salisbury renton. My condensate pipe runs totally inside the house so should be fine. Just drains into the waste pipe for the washing machine.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Our 1st service was £50, took him about 20 mins.

Boiler has been great.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have the WB28 i and it works fine no probs so far. 5 yr warranty on everything as well iirc

markenduro
    Free Member

Had a combi swapped out for a condensing combi earlier this year, cost £1100 with a filter and exisitn pipes/rads etc, took him about 6 hours to do.

markenduro
    Free Member

Had a combi swapped out for a condensing combi earlier this year, cost £1100 with a filter and exisitn pipes/rads etc, took him about 6 hours to do.

totalshell

if your mate can get 24ijnrs for 650 inc. i’ll take 20 now and 6 a month till may..

totalshell

i love hearing folk talk bullocks..
    accredited WB installers give no more warranty than anyone else, you can buy a 5 yr warranty for 99 at installation plus an annual service form a WB trained installer.. WB expect you to be charged circa 100 plus if done to the spec would take circa 1 hour and include at least a boiler case seal and a service certificate stating gas presures and co levels.. you aint got the paperwork, you aint got a warranty
    Im WB accredited and trained a 24i nr can cost as little as 1150 as much as 2200 depending on specifict installation and take from 40 minutes.. ( i jest not) to 3 days.

besdie the cost of the boiler before you deduce the guy made 700 quid understand that he has to be in gas safe to fit it ( 170 a yr) he has to hold 4 different gas exams an electrical qualification (150 +vat each every 5 years) he has to have an exhaust gas analiser ( 450 initial cost plus 100 a yr servcing plus parts of circa 80 pa)and finaly he has to register the boiler with gas safe/ local authority.. who ll then send you a certificate.. not had it yet…. oh dear no warranty..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

are worcester bosch boilers any good.

yes ime

a couple of thousand supply at fit sounds reasonable. took the gas engineer more than 2 days to do mine and I did all the labour

renton
    Free Member

total shell fancy coming and fitting me a boiler then ??

Bear
    Free Member

bloody hell my gas courses are way more than that (SE england)

As TShell said you can work for a couple of hundred per boiler but you’d go bust quickly, overheads are big these days.

renton
    Free Member

just had a call from the plumber…

he has given me a firm quote of £2000 for the following

remove and dispose of old boiler and tank

supply and fit a veissmann 30kw combi boiler

supply and fit a siemens 7 day digital clock/programmer

flush system and refill with inhibitor.

do you think this is a fair quote.

he said it jumped up a little bit as he has to use a vertical flue ?

totalshell

renton .. tell him..
    you want a WB 28i jnr with rf wireless programmable ( salus) and a magnaclean or similar and you keep the scrap for the 2k..
    the magnaclean will do the job of the inhibitor and remove the crud forever and ever and you can see it there.. your old cylinder and pipework is worth circa 80 -340 though generally less than 150..
    the materials will set him back circa 1100- 1200 max giving him a nice pocket for 3 days graft.. ( the vertical flue kit is 172.56 from memory) barter hard and succumb to him taking the scrap but dont move from that.. there are literally hundreds of very experienced installers out ther having been made redundant this year.. any of them would do a 2k swap..

you dont need a 28kw tbh honest WB are including a chip in all thier boilers now to bring the CH KW down by 50% as you just dont need your central heating hot in 20 mins when you d be happy with 40.. all you get extra is more hot water at the tap for your larger KW.. a 24 might deliver 9 litres per minute a 40kw might be 15litres per minute..

add up how manu hot water taps you have ( inc washing machines dishwashers etc) and ask how often will all or most be used at the same time.. if you have a 5 bed house with ensuites and 3 teenage daughters you ll use a lot of hot water and thus need something like 41kw if your billy no mates have 1 bathroom then 24 is too big.. couples i spec 24kw kids etc ensuite 30kw teenagers etc all the toys 40kw.
    WB because its the countries biggest thier website has everything you and i could want to know they have parts from a zillion years ago.. many of thier own parts are generic to other brands but used as they are cheaper than the other brands spares

i have never in 6 yrs working for my self ever had to repair a WB i have fitted.. i wish the same were true of Alpha ( 1 boiler 3 repairs) and ravenheat ( 1 boiler 10 times in the first year.. RH came out to it twice before we could get it to work in the first place…)

renton
    Free Member

thanks for the reply.

i would go for a wb but the chap i know who fits wb cant fit me in until the second week of january.

i cant leave my tenants without heating or hto water until then.

ive read good reviews on the veissmann boilers too.

its going into a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom and 1 downstairs toilet with sink.

also will eventually be running a shower when the current electric one packs up.

oh he is also fitting a siemens digital time clock thing

enduro-aid
    Free Member

did a very similar project in june of this year

old boiler with cold water storage in attic space and primark hot water cylinder in bed room on first floor
    8 radiators in total

changed to a baxi combi boiler 28kw and removed the old boiler and old tanks, new boiler in same location as old one, so now no water storage anywhere all direct feed off mains

kept the same radiators apart from kitchen one which we moved to other side of room.

total cost for all parts and labour £1300 including VAT

and the baxi combi has a 5 year parts and labour warranty

renton
    Free Member

did you do that yourslef or was that done by a plumber?

totalshell

he didt pay for the labour for that money.. the baxi has 5 yrs parts and labour if registered with building control and serviced by baxi every year..

hora
    Free Member

Cost me £600 I think. I bought the boiler myself from a wholesaler. I also went for a 30c due to the size of house etc etc.

I had a British Gas guy round to give me a quote and that was £2,700 with their special discount.

One thing I did kick myself over- I didnt realise (**** idiot) that the old cylinder upstairs was a solid copper number….. the boiler/gas fella took that away and ‘disposed of it’. ****!

Later on we decided we needed the radiators replacing…. that was £950 for 7 radiators supplied and fitted.

mashiehood
    Free Member

we had our very old boiler, water tanks and hot water cylinder replaced with a WB 27i – £2300 for an excellent service from Transgas in Surbiton.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Getting a old bolier ripped out next monday and a condensing combi bolier fitted. The house is a semi detached with nine radiators, which are all ok.

New Ferrori boiler with 5 year parts and labour guarentee, £ 600 inc vat from wholesailer and £ 550 for plumber to fit, hes having the old copper cylinder as part ofthe deal.

renton
    Free Member

i wouldnt touch a ferroli boiler with a barge pole.

my brother in laws is crap, does nothing but leak everywhere!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I had a Potterton 30Kw combi boiler fitted, old one removed along with the tank, full line flush and TRV’s fitted for £1700. Two blokes, two days work and a hole knocked through the wall, flue fitted and bricked up etc.
    It’s a small house, 5 rooms/5 radiators and a shower and the boiler is way more than needed but i run it at around 70% and reckon that will increase it’s lifespan, rather than a smaller boiler run flat-out.

tommid
    Free Member

Just finished today and cost £3000 all in.

renton
    Free Member

what was that for tommid ??

highclimber
    Free Member

there seems to be a big variation in prices 1.5-3k+. people aren’t putting what they ar getting for their money!

Bear
    Free Member

A filter will not do the job of an inhibitor.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Anyone had a new boiler fitted recently??’ is closed to new replies.