Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Anyone experienced Jet2 bike charges?
  • wl
    Free Member

Says on Jet2’s website that it’s a 20kg maximum for bikes, £30 each way. Does anyone know if they’re strict about this? My bike in its bag weighs several kgs over this, and at £10 per kg for excess, it will soon add up. Got any any tips or horror stories? Ta v much.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t risk it especially if you are several Kg over. Budget airlines will do anything to part you from your money.

wl
    Free Member

I’ve flown with them with a bike before, and never had a problem, but I’m pretty sure they must have reduced the weight limit since a couple of years ago. Anyone know?

imnotamused
    Free Member

I was a few kgs over the 20kg weight last summer with my bike in a bag (only things I could have removed were parts of the bike so god knows how I was over as it’s a moderate weight Orange 5… the bag is heavy in itself mind) but I compensated by ensuring my hold luggage was under it’s limit by the same amount so in total the two bags were within the combined limit. I had to cause a minor fuss when challenged at check in (Leeds-Bradford) but she gave in quickly. No issues on the return journey.

Not sure I’d recommend this approach though 😕

Northwind

I bust a nut getting my bag under 20kg, neither of the others with us bothered, the check-in desk couldn’t weigh them and outsized baggage didn’t care. I was perversely annoyed about that…

But getting a packed big bike under 20kg basically means scrimping on the packaging or carrying components in hand luggage, which considering we’re only packing the bikes up heavily because the airlines and airports can’t be trusted to look after them, is a bit of a mickey take. Ah well.

vondally
    Free Member

paid for 2 bikes in the hold one ay 19.5 kg and the other at 19kg no probs at all leeds bradford, merry hell at toulouse airport, apparently excess weight measured on 3 scales 19,5 kg dead on, did not follow proper procedures for check in so 40 euro additional charge aka toulouse airport tax.
    Be careful and be prepared to smile and be reasonable.
    Packing , well both bikes were in the 32 to 35 lbs range no issues at all making 20kg weight

ianv
    Free Member

Its like playing russian roulette. The girl who checked me in at Leeds did not know the weight rules and let my bike go (5kgs over the 20K limit). Other people got hit pretty bad, between £50-80 excess fees each.

No issues on the Spanish side on the way back though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Anyone experienced Jet2 bike charges?’ is closed to new replies.