Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone else think these are a rip off?
  • poppa
    Free Member

MRP 1.x Chainguide – £37 from CRC

When you consider you can buy one of these for less money…

I mean, the chainguide is only a couple of bits of aluminium – it doesn't even have any moving parts! I wouldn't be so annoyed, except I want one… 😳

tinsy
    Free Member

Yes its too expensive, BUT, not much in it between an Ngear jump stop and a bash ring, rekon they priced it that way, its the neatest solution to 1×9 and for that you have to pay.

aP
    Free Member

Its called capitalism. If no one wanted them they'd be about 30p, however, people like want them – therefore they're however much you're prepared to spend to get one. Even though it does use a horrible font.

alexonabike

Get a Paul Chain keeper. Slightly cheaper and blooming less fugly:

tinsy
    Free Member

I had not seen the Puals one before, very neat, how much are they?

(my 1×9 days are done though, am more than happy with all 27 forward gears)

alexonabike

£32 if I remember correctly.

EDIT: From here

adeward
    Free Member

I build and race vintage cars and often get one of parts made to my drawings
    why dont you just nip down your local cnc machine shop and get a quote, for 1 and 1000 and see how much ,

personaly i am amazed how cheap some parts are,, especialy when you think that is the RRP the trade price might about 2/3 of that price and the wholesale price is who knows ,,

chakaping
    Free Member

Shimano probably make a fair few more SLX rear mechs than MRP make of those chain devices.

£37 is pretty reasonable compared to a lot of those sort of items.

HTTP404
    Free Member

it's called economies of scale and supply / demand.

poppa
    Free Member

So no then… just me!

carlphillips
    Free Member

most bike stuff is a rip IMO

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Overpriced, ugly plastic tat. I'd like to go 1×9 but I wouldn't use one of those.

DrP

What always brings me down to earth about prices like these is taht Tesco can sell a whole bike for £60! Madness!
    I mean, even a naff chain costs £7, and the worst grips you could buy would be a few pound….

DrP

coffeeking
    Free Member

At the end of the day if you already have a 5 axis CNC and can use it in your spare time, the materials costs are tiny so the product would cost "nothing" to make. If not you have to pay someone to make up small batches of something odd, and they had to buy the £20,000 and keep it running, and employ someone to programme it, the costs rise a little.

tinsy
    Free Member

poppa, another thing to remember is the MRP device isnt really discounted, wheras the SLX mech has nearly 50% off RRP.

ps if your not using and SLX shaddow mech on a hardtail 1×9 then you have the wrong mech on, the shaddows are loads quieter on a hardtail and a med cage one on a 1×9 is as close to silent running as you will get, Why the SLX and not XT or XTR? The SLX has stronger spring in it..

adeward
    Free Member

switch from 1×9 to alfine then you dont need one

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else think these are a rip off?’ is closed to new replies.