Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anybody using Phillips ES MR16's in their Lumi's?
  • Speshpaul

Just wondered which wattage and spread of light you went for?
    Cheers
    paul

ransos
    Free Member

Lumis are MR11, not MR16…

tonyg2003

MR16's don't fit the Lumi MR11 cans. I have a custom MR16 can with 30W using LiPo battery, 24degree spread, to go with my Lumi LED. Nice warm colour from the Phillips ES lights.

scaredypants

I've used one in a home made light – bloody bright IMO (but I've not used any newer stuff – til Mr Trout sends me some 🙂 ) can't remember spread, sorry

Problem was battery life for me, using 12v RC car packs (2×6) I was getting less than an hour & carrying 2 lots

scaled down to 25w osram one that also is pretty bright but still quite needy on batteries

Speshpaul

MR11 even, sorry about that one.
    Still anyone opted for the ES's?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

The phillips ES MR16 is old technology(tungsten halogen) and only about 1.5 times as efficient as a standard bulb.

a switch to an LED based MR11 would give you a 4 times increase in efficiency.

eg.

http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/product/22556/deltech-dl-hpmr11ww-high-power-single-led-light-bulb.aspx

jabilcyclist
    Free Member

I use Masterline ES all the time, both 20w and 30w in nice CNC housings made specifically for these. Also fit 'em into alloy tins. Perfect fit for a lamp.

Extend runtime as I also use MR16 Cree led in the same housing. 320 Lumens is enough from the LED to travel along quite quickly. Depends how long you want to go out. Masterline ES overvolted to 15.6v. Smudges 14.8v packs are perfectly suited. Shame Philips don't do a 15w or even a 10w ES.

Drop me a mail if you want one or more made.

Simon

Jabilcyclists lamps are good.
    I've been using one of the "tins" as a helmet light for a few years. I've got a 20w Philips ES 20 degree bulb in it running off two radio controlled car batteries giving 14.4v, the bulb throws the light a long way down the trail and is a nicer colour than LED IMO.

The batteries are 3.7ah and I get probably 1.5 hours burn time, but I only put it on for the fast or singletrack the bits of the ride, I have an Airbike on the bars for the rest of the time.

stumpy01

The phillips ES MR16 is old technology(tungsten halogen) and only about 1.5 times as efficient as a standard bulb

Surely a 50% increase in run time is not to be sniffed at, even if LED will give you more?

That LED MR11 light – it says it's 2W with only 55lm output & the standard wattage equivalent of 25W. Does this mean that this lamp will put out the same amount of light as a Lumi 20W halogen flood (that is over-volted to about 25W I believe)? I struggle to believe that, but would be very interested if anyone has any experience using one of these.

Speshpaul

"a switch to an LED based MR11 would give you a 4 times increase in efficiency."
    The lamp you've shown there is 55lumen, i think a standat old tech MR11 is banging out more than 13.5 lumens (or equiv)

Getting around 35watt out put for around 20w run times is fine by me.
    Cheers
    Paul

jabilcyclist
    Free Member

55 lumens isn't much light at all, in fact not enough to see with on a dark trail. However, as a be-seen light it's fine. The 320 lumen LED I use is enough to light up the road and trail but no way is it near as bright as my 20w Masterline. Daytime speeds in the dark with that one. Like Speshpaul says, 35w output for 20w consumption, and best overvolted to 14.4 or more. This link shows a lumen chart near the bottom of the page.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250505508932&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

ransos
    Free Member

Hi Jabil, I'm interested in one of your lights but can you get a 20W masterline bulb with a mid-range angle, say about 20 degrees?

jabilcyclist
    Free Member

Hi ransos. 8 deg and 36 deg are the only 20w bulb beam spreads for the ES. Strange as all other ES wattage variants have a 24 deg pattern. What I could do is send you both an 8 deg and 36 deg, simply return the one you don't want. Either that or a std MR16 20w 20 deg, but not as bright.

Prices are as follows. Add £1.65 postage and package costs (I do have to buy in boxes). Canisters best suited for road use and off road only if you don't have tumbles. If you come off regular then the CNC unit is for you, really tough. Make lots so carry many spares.

PM me if your still interested. Working away from home, so very limited acces to e-mails.

Canister Std size bar bracket -: £18
    Canister O/S bar bracket -: £22
    CNC housing Std bracket -: £27
    CNC housing O/S bracket -: £31

ransos
    Free Member

Thanks Jabil. Can't PM from work but will check back tonight.

jabilcyclist
    Free Member

bumpety bump, just in case anyones interested in a nice, bright halogen lamp this winter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anybody using Phillips ES MR16's in their Lumi's?’ is closed to new replies.