Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • anybody have any great fish recipes for a dinner party?
  • Markie
    Free Member

Hmmm. Our neighbours (lovely) are coming round for dinner on Saturday night (great).

The problem I have is that the only meat they eat is fish, which I really have no idea about.

Does anyone have any tasty fish recipes – complicated or simple, starter or main – they’d like to share?

Thanks!

bigG
    Free Member

Do a fish pie, I used this one -from delia online on Saturday night and it’s yumm!

Can highly recommend it, looks good plus not too much faffing to make

G

piha
    Free Member

Fish fingers, chips and beans nom nom nom 😆

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Trouble with a lot of fish is it’s easy to over or under cook.

However, the old faithful fish pie is more difficult than most to ruin and you can do a lot of the tricky bits ahead of time.

What you need is some salmon, some chunky white fish (cod good) and some prawns. Probably for a generous pie for 4 you’ll want the equivalent of 3 salmon steaks, same mount of cod (a biggish fillet) – maybe 300 gms of each (I’m not good with actual weights) and a handful of prawns.

Cook the fish separately in two frying pans (if you have 2 – makes it easier to cook both accurately) in a bit of butter until it is just done (salmon will flake off the bone, cod just starting to flake) doesn’t matter if you poke it about in the pan whilst cooking to investigate as you are going to flake it anyway. Take off the heat and pull the fish away from bones/skin and put to one side – try to keep it in big bite size lumps. Make sure you meticulously check over the fish for bones. Do not overcook as it is going to get well and truly cooked in the pie anyway.

Pour any butter left in the frying pans through a sieve into a saucepan. Make a white sauce (more butter if needs be + flour to make a paste then gradually add milk stirring all the while. Salt. Make enough sauce to keep the whole dish fairly squishy – as much sauce as fish.

When the sauce is ready add in the fish and prawns (I also like to chuck in some capers) don’t stir too much as you want the fish to stay in lumps. Then pour into your pie dish.

You can do all the above ahead of time if you want.

Shortly before guests arrive make some nice creamy mash. Splash out on some Rooster or Desiree potatoes if available. Make a similar amount of mash as fish/sauce. After mashing the spuds add some butter and milk an beat with a big fork to get it properly creamy. I add some white pepper.

Put mash on fish. Grate over some cheddar cheese and put in oven at about gas 5-6 for half an hour. If necessary whack under grill for a minute to get cheese bubbling at the end.

I would serve with maybe Chantenay carrots (little ones) or just sliced carrots, that I steam and then put back into the saucepan when cooked with butter, lemon juice and black pepper and toss about until coated. Plus maybe some broccoli or spring greens.

Or if you don’t fancy those veg a different sort of combination might be some roast tomatoes (halve and put on a tray with some oil drizzled over and bung in oven for an hour) with some wilted spinach.

Yum.

organic355
    Free Member
    freddyg
    Free Member

I did a Thai red fish curry for 12 of us a couple of weeks ago. It was delicious and was very easy to do; I did make sure I used a decent paste though (or, if you have time, make your own).

linky thingy

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

But had you also thought of the veggy option? Spanakopita (haven’t got the energy for another massive description – but I add toasted pine nuts to basic recipe) is one of our dinner party favourites – Google it, and the last time we had people over I made a really nice leek risotto with balsamic roast cherry tomatoes on the vine and parmesan crisps – looks fantastic and tastes delicious – don’t think anyone even noticed it was vegetarian.

bigG
    Free Member

ps stick some undyed smoked haddock in your fish pie to add extra yumminess

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks all! I’m pushed for time today but will look forward to looking at this tonight – cheers! 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why not just go simple (most fish is best cooked simply).

Some nice salmon fillets, seasoned with fresh lemon juice and sea salt and lightly pan-fried.

Serve with spring onion lumpy mash (made with new potatoes) and greens.

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks all… dinner was great – vegetarian starter, fish pie main, fantastic! More pescatarian neighbours coming round in two weeks and thinking fresh fish this time round as we’re closer to spring!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘anybody have any great fish recipes for a dinner party?’ is closed to new replies.