• This topic has 50 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Bruce.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Any Sea kayakers here
  • Greybeard
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want a ski with a rudder for exploring caves. They’re designed to go forwards, and balance is a bit like a bike, it’s easier when your moving. Reversing with a rudder is awkward, as if you let it turn, the flow pushes it further round and can bend or break the blade.

Composite boats are quite tough against abrasion, provided you’re not precious about scratches, but they don’t do as well as polythene when subject to impacts. A friend of mine drags his Cetus MV up beaches practically every weekend, and has done for about 5 years, and it still floats. For what the OP wants, ie, reasonable speed, reasonable manoeuvrability, in a hot climate, I’d suggest a tough, secondhand composite boat such as an NDK Explorer.

pipit
    Free Member

They’re not plastic, but have a look at the Kaskazi Sku ARX (removable deck if required) so surf ski or “sit in” if you wish, also Kaskazi Marlin which is slightly wider. Both have great storage for weekend trips. We have both. Also worth checking out the Cobra Expedition plastic.

I should add I had to sadly give up my Tiderace sea kayak because of an old crush leg injury causing very sudden and disabling leg cramsp that meant I had to get legs out quickly. Really pleased with the Skua ARX.

convert

I’d suggest a tough, secondhand composite boat such as an NDK Explorer.

That’s not a bad shout – as I said in a previous post plastic boats in med style heat do need careful storage if left in the sun (or even the heat, shaded from direct sun). GRP not an issue in that regard. Especially as you were put off by the Scorpio’s weight (something like the Thule Hulivator might help there but that is more $$$). My current sea kayak is a composite Necky Looksha 17. It’s a big barge of a thing really – but at the time I was struggling with my hip and wanted more room inside to get comfy. Stupidly stable but not hugely fast for a composite boat. You could go for an extended multi week tour in the thing but it’s not too exhilarating for shorter days. Necky is now gone as a brand though.

I think I’d still be exploring the ski style concept but maybe in a shorter format though if it exists – the photo above is sort of that I guess). I did a couple of days of sea kayaking with a spraydeck in Greece a couple of years ago – it got pretty warm in there!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, I have a Dagger Katana, it was given to me by a friend.

Unfortunately, my long legs mean I can’t fit in it comfortably. The footrest/board Is jammed in to the nose of the boat even though there’s a couple more notches on the adjusters.

Am I able to modify this? Or are there aftermarket footrests available?

Thanks

jam-bo

Take it out and put a foam block in instead.

dovebiker

I’m hoping to get a sea kayak for my move to Mull next year – I sold my racing K1 as it was probably not going to get much use there. Appears there are a few closed cockpit designs about that are a hybrid of a kayak and ski where you can paddle knees-together or knee-braced such as Rockpool Taran.
    In terms of the OP, strongly suggest getting some experience in a range of boats and spending time with an experienced paddler(s) as it will help develop your technique and skills.
    I agree on cheap SOT’s being recycled into wheely bins – at least they’d be of use to someone!

kitchener
    Free Member

For lessons, these guys are great if you can get to Anglesey/Snowdonia area:

First time in a proper sea kayak out on the water and the coaching was great. Recommended.

poolman
    Free Member

Cheers all, some really good tips. I have big feet so may not fit in the skua. I like the open cockpit though, the rudder would not last long in the caves and rocks, I really like bimbling round the rocks and the narrow passages.

I will try a few and get some tuition, appreciate all the suggestions so far.

chevychase

Not to be a downer, but tuition is a *must*, but brilliant fun in and of itself 🙂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53672610

🙁

poolman
    Free Member

Yes v sad I saw the chap was missing, we never go out on our own. Poor chap was only 36, RIP.

Bruce

Lots of opinions here.

If you want to go fast in a straight line then a surfski is great.

If you want to go on an seakayak tour then things link ND Explorers Cetus, Scorpios and other large expedition boats are great but will cope with cave and rock hoping but need better technique to turn.

Boats like the Romany surf /sport work well in lots of conditions and can do everything quite well.

Boats like the Delphin are good in surf and tideraces but are slower than the above but turn very well and can cope with a short expedition.

Crossover boats like the Stratos and P&H Virgo are good at rockhopping and lightish and very agile but they don’t paddle well in a straight line without using the skeg (also Delphins are like this).

Before you buy a boat try and paddle it and get a feel for it some boats you will get on with better than others.

Please get some training as it will help you progress quicker and help keep you safe.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Any Sea kayakers here’ is closed to new replies.