• This topic has 89 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ro.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Any mental health professionals on here tonight?
  • cinnamon_girl

Have a situation and would appreciate some guidance. E-mail in profile.

Thank you.

cinnamon_girl

Anyone?

millsonwheels
    Free Member

ygm

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, I've plenty of experience in Mental Health, if not the qualifications… 😯

cinnamon_girl

millie – thank you, have replied.

Talkemada – really, what are we going to do with you? When are you coming to Swinley? The gorgeous Aleigh and I will take care of you 😉

travellingman
    Free Member

YGM!

eldridge
    Free Member

Some clues as to the situation would be helpful

Or is this just attention-seeking about you, and Talkemada-Fred, and aleigh, and millie, and Swinley

you are drunk

and attention-seeking

and probably not female

cinnamon_girl

eldridge – this is not a subject I would joke about. Many people are affected by mental health issues and there are professional people on here, hence my post.

It's not hard to tell when I'm attention-whoring or "being controversial".

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well done eldridge, even by your standards, that was an impressively moronic post.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Eldridge; she's just asking a question, what's the problem?

millsonwheels
    Free Member

Thanks CG, I have emailed you

cinnamon_girl

Many thanks to the professionals who have replied. There are a lot of good people on here. 🙂

eldridge
    Free Member

Sincere apologies to everyone above. I had no idea about the seriousness of this. It's gratifying to see how much support is available on here for people in distress.

I have a situation too, and would also appreciate some guidance. This is not a situation I would joke about.

Could some of the "professionals" on here please help me too?

romster
    Free Member

This all sounds a bit serious 😯 – Romster hopes everyones coolio!

cinnamon_girl

eldridge – do you live in a perfect world? If so, you must be the only person that does. Don't mock, I hope you don't need to ask a similar question any time in the future.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Eldridge, lose the inverted commas round the word and some of the professionals on here might just come out of the woodwork.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Hmm, i remember a post of CG's not so long and can guess who this might be concerning. CG, I hope whatever it is gets sorted as straightforwardly and painlessly as possible for yourself and all concerned.

eldridge
    Free Member

ask a similar question

I hope you don't need to ask a similar question

I've searched in vain for any question being asked in the visible parts of this thread

FFS what is the "situation" which started this thread?

What is the "similar question"?

cinnamon_girl

It's not something I want to broadcast as it's not about me.

eldridge – I am continually amazed at the knowledge and empathy on here. People can struggle with situations and have no idea where to turn. Don't knock it.

HeathenWoods – thank you. 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Eldridge, what's with the inverted commas all over the place?

Looks like CG asked for some advice off the forum, briefly bantered with talkyfred (who i suppose is lending his moral support even if he admits not being best placed to supply the advice she seeks) and then thanked everyone for their input (i suppose so she didn't get a load more emails from people who subsequently see the thread). Except you popped in and got the thread all silly.

FFS what is the "situation" which started this this thread?

I think the rest is none of our business.

theotherjonv

Eldridge, don't play the fool any more than you are already. If you could use your empathetic gene I'm sure you could imagine a scenario where C-G would like some assistance without providing too much detail for the well-meaning but untrained to get in a lather about. Hence asking for a 'private consultation' as opposed to a free for all.

I've searched in vain for any question being asked in the visible parts of this thread

Try looking again at the thread title, and the first post.

zaskar
    Free Member

She asked for serious advice from a pro. End of

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I'm no expert but needed prof help for family in sometimes emergency situations a few times. My only advise until you have a plan is be a persistent bastard until someone takes some responsibility. In A&E their only objective is keeping someone ticking over – what happens next aint their problem. If it aint in A&E IME you're on an uphill struggle. You can email me for any further advice. Best wishes. Ron

ro
    Free Member

If any 'mental health professional' on here has offered advice by email which says anything other than 'Please, consult your GP out-of-hours service / Samaritans NOW' they deserve to be reported to their professional association and dragged before their relevant disciplinary body.

You do a huge disservice to the OP by acting in any other manner. And you know it.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Lordy again, what's with the all the speechmarks?!

You either are a professional or not. Membership of a professional body makes it a very simple yes or no. No condescending "speechmarks" needed.

Ro, putting speechmarks round the word just infers a disillusionment with or lack of faith in the professional bodies themselves, and their own conferring of professional status on their members. Which profesional body/group is it you have a problem with?

Ro your answer is bobbins. Or you are very bored and enjoy baiting everyone on here! You've no idea what she might have wanted to know. (Are you disappointed you couldn't offer your own advice?)

For example, if someone tells me they can't leave the house without checking the plugs twenty four times and washing their hands between each go, I am not going to start working on helping them over the internet much as some of us here might be quite able and qualified to do so at work. Niether would I if it was someone I met in the pub, a friend or familiy member.

However a very few well chosen questions and suggestions of who to ask locally about this (somewhat embarrrasingly, this is often referred to as the slightly cheesy 'signposting') off the forum is in my professional opinion far more helpful to the OP than posting it in public and getting some of the sarcastic nonsense that pops up on here.

If someone asked me a simple one like 'I've just started taking olanzapine: will I always feel this tired?' I could give them a strightforward answer without a load of people on the forum wading in and saying 'oooohhh, I've just googled that drug and you must be mental' (fwiw its prescribed for all sorts apart from what you will find in the first five hits if you google it).

If someone asks me abouit Aricept however (used in dementia/alzheimers, not my corner of work at all), I will pass on it because I don't know enough about it.

Often people just don't want to cause unnecessary fuss and need some validation of their issue to make them feel entitled to go to the GP or back to the psychiatrist/CPN and 'bother' them again.

If any 'mental health professional' on here has offered advice by email which says anything other than 'Please, consult your GP out-of-hours service / Samaritans NOW' they deserve to be reported to their professional association and dragged before their relevant disciplinary body.

You missed out MIND and Rethink by the way.

A professional knows where the limit of their professional expertise is and operates within it. They do not give advice on stuff they don't know enough about and they do not embark on a conversation they cannot safely end. They do not undermine the advice given by another professional who more than likely gave advice on the basis a lot more informtion. All the same, if someone is determined their advice is wrong they will continue to ask different people until they hear a more satisfactory answer. That happens a lot here in all forms of problems, not just mental health ones. You get used to that and take it into consideration.

I suppose you could say all that about solicitors, physiotherapists, podiatrists and teachers on here to reading over that.

By the way I didn't reply to CG as a few other folk seem to have done so already. I am proper intruiged by the replies on this thread though!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Blimey, that was a long post. 😳
    Edited version would be
    'Ro seems to have a chip on his/her shoulder about something.'

Hairychested
    Free Member

CG, I sincerely hope you're fine. Whatever the issue is you can pull through. Good luck!
    Just for you 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hey Eldridge….. there's a thread over there where at least of two forum members seem to be sufferring from depression… I think your sensitivity is needed!

*shakes head in despair at the idiocy of some forum members*

ro
    Free Member

Sorry you don't like my use of quotation marks. I'm well aware that single quotation marks should only be used to signify a quotation with a quotation, but I like to use them – as you correctly deduced – to express a metaphorical raised eyebrow over their contents. Thus I would hope that any 'mental health professional' would have more sense than to respond to the OP with anything other than pointers towards mental health service providers.

Commenting upon possible drug side effects in an individual when you lack the complete patient history would just be plain stupid. And unethical. You already know this, so why do you choose to use doing so as an example?

The best, indeed the ONLY answer to a potentially serious medical question on any forum is simply, 'Consult a professional'. Stop pretending otherwise. It's free, it's what the NHS is there for and it works. And if the moderators have the best interests of forum members at heart they'd put a sticky to that effect on the top of each forum.

Ro doesn't have 'a chip on his shoulder' but he does enjoy pointing out idiocy when he sees it. And in the Land Of The Emperor's New Clothes, there's a lot of it about…

BTW, I'm writing this in a cafe in Vung Tau peering out over the South China Sea. How's it going in Broken Britain?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

ro – speaking, writing or referring to yourself in the third person can be an indicator of "certain mental health issues" – perhaps you should seek professional help? 😈

yossarian
    Free Member

How's it going in Broken Britain?

its still full of humour, happiness, spirit, cool people, cool places, flora, fauna and history

HTH

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ro, I have worked in an out-of hours service just like the one you reccommend, where you do have to consider advice based on what the person ringing you tells you. That's your job and you do it with what you know and what your hear on the phone. This is not the complete patient history, it is what they tell you. Just because you have your work hat on does not make you have all the information at your fingertips.

Commenting upon possible drug side effects in an individual when you lack the complete patient history would just be plain stupid. And unethical. You already know this, so why do you choose to use doing so as an example?

Sorry but you are just plain wrong there. Like I said, you operate within your area of knowledge and expertise, and no professional can ever be completely certain they have the full picture, even when they are at work with 18 inches of medical notes stacked in front of them. If you have ever worked in health or social care you must have tied yourself in knots wondering about the 'right' or 'wrong'. All too often its a 'likely' or 'less likely'.

And you and I still have no idea what the OP wanted to know! I trust that those who answered her aren't embarking on a voyage of analytic discovery over the computer with her.

I'm not even going to bother with the smug café comment. How are your free-at-point-of use mental health services over there, Ro?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Empathy's not your strong point, is it, Ro?

vinnyeh

I think c-g's got what she needed and has gone now. No point in carrying on the squabbling now boys. 😀

ro
    Free Member

Medical services in VN? Actually, they're pretty shocking, which is why I'm here trying to do something positive about it. But enough about me doing something useful for some decent people, while you cater to the wasters, the DNA's and the skivvers in the UK…

If you've worked in an out-of-hours service surely you had access to the electronic patient record? And surely you check it prior to offering advice?

I don't know of any patient who has '18" of medical notes'. Don't you have a junior doc prune your medical records? And have you ever heard of professional accountability, yunno that thing whereby you do make damn sure your medical advice is reasonable and defensible, even if it does mean ploughing through a patients chaotic notes?

You and I have NO IDEA what advice was offered to the OP, so don't assume the advice was ether relevant or harmless.

Your attitude is symptomatic of many of the ills of the NHS and its associated social services. 'Near enough is good enough'. Out-of-hours services are a poor excuse for access to your own doctor when you need them, and participating in such services lends legitimacy to a flawed concept.

I'd have thought more highly of your opinion if you'd simply agreed that the best course for the OP was to seek appropriate advice. You lost me when you sought to suggest otherwise.

ro
    Free Member

Empathy's not your strong point, is it, Ro?

You'd be surprised, Talkemada, you'd be surprised…

But not with idiots, no.

yunki
    Free Member

this thread has deteriorated into something quite silly…

surely people working in mental health are all 'blind leading the blind' so the advice from a MTB forum, or a doctors surgery or even a drunken vagrant sleeping in a shop doorway in Katmandu are all of equal merit?

one mans idiot is anothers sage.. (and vice virsa)

ro
    Free Member

based on the choices you provided, i think i'd go with the advice from the drunken vagrant sleeping in the doorway in katmandu.

and it's vice versa. just for future reference, you understand.

yunki
    Free Member

why thankyou very much ro.. always a pleasure to improve on my spelling ability..

drunk in Katmandu for me too..

RichPenny
    Free Member

But not with idiots, no.

I'd disagree, you appear to be doing very well on that front.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Any mental health professionals on here tonight?’ is closed to new replies.