Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Any civil service departments get Cycle to Work?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Just read an article about about how C2W is 10 years old, and I'm wondering how, after 10 years, HMRC (of all people!) can't figure out how to set up and operate a scheme to give staff tax breaks on bikes yet……

So, do any other central government civil service departments have it – I know some local government and NHS Trusts have done it.

Just seems bizarre and perverse that a fairly easy government "greening" opportunity is seemingly ignored by one of the biggest employers in the country who should be leading by example. Especially as, from my experience, quite a lot of civil service staff at the lower end are not that well paid, live fairly close to work and rely on public transport. I know our latest office move – alongside a cycle path – has seen the number of cyclists in the office rise from, er, me, to at least four, which is now 10% of our office!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Of all the government departments, you'd think the one with 'environment' in it's name would offer the scheme – but no 🙄

stevede
    Free Member

I'm in the armed forces and you'd think with such an emphasis on fitness they'd be signed up to a scheme but apparently not (royal navy isn't anyway).

bol

Do the navy have a row to work scheme instead?

IGMC

samuri
    Free Member

Not in the DWP. They have a interest free loan scheme for bikes.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Not MOD either, we've been trying without success. Apparently it's the Treasury's fault. Most Civil Service Departments offer advances of salary to cover bike purchase and the Treasury won't let us have both.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Swadey you work for HMRC? If so check the hotseat – they're working on it and it's due out soon they say. But believe it when I see it….

gwaelod
    Free Member

I work for an MoD Executive agency, and we have it.

We can also get advances of salary to cover season ticket/cycle purchase up to £500.

My partner works for HMRC and she's been campaigning heavily on this issue – seems headway IS being made (slowly), as PCS are looking to support the proposal.

I work for a non-departmental government body (beautiful quango), but we only have a 'bike loan' scheme. 🙄

debaser

Yup, eventually managed to convince my civil service employer to go for it. Took a ridiculous amount of effort considering that it's a government led scheme but it was worth it. Lot's of new cyclists in the office now, the full bike shed makes me glad I kicked up a fuss 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Of all the government departments, you'd think the one with 'environment' in it's name would offer the scheme – but no

I work for the Environment Agency, and they do it. I have a shiny road bike to prove it.

samuri
    Free Member

I work for a non-departmental government body (beautiful quango),

Oh dear. Good luck.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Animals! Ha ha. We (HMRC) get an interest loan, big deal. Most shops will do interest free credit / buy now pay later. Hopefully C2W will be here soon enough to get a new bike!

samuri – Member
    I work for a non-departmental government body (beautiful quango),

Oh dear. Good luck.

I just so happen to love living on the edge under a Tory government. Not being able to plan for tomorrow has its upsides.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Highways agency have it. LOL

MoreCashThanDash

Hang on…..so one of the few departments that have it is the one that builds the roads for all the cars? 🙄

Up government thinking joined!

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

army dont as far as i have been able to find out.

higthepig
    Free Member

Air Force doesn't, been trying but no luck yet.

MoreCashThanDash

Having a wry smile at the idea of the Navy offering C2W:

"The new Boardman Pro Pedallo only available from Halfrauds"

antigee

notice in this mornings Sunday Times Norman Baker "the liberal democrat minister for cycling walking and buses" !!!??? has "become the first member of the government to receive an official Brompton folding bike"

now i imagine that would be under a salary sacrifice scheme* or it will be taxed as a benefit in kind i guess**

*fat chance
    ** even slimmer fat chance

huggis
    Free Member

just buy what you want and stick it on expenses??

jam-bo

hydrographic office did while I worked there.

MoreCashThanDash

Huggis – I work for the civil service, I'm not an MP.

I have to show a receipt to claim for a cup of coffee – but can only claim for it if I have been working away from the office over x hours…….

samuri
    Free Member

now i imagine that would be under a salary sacrifice scheme* or it will be taxed as a benefit in kind i guess**

*fat chance
    ** even slimmer fat chance

All civil servants have to log every gratuity they recieve.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Any civil service departments get Cycle to Work?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM