Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anthem 29er – fork upgrade
  • Andy_K

I’m looking to upgrade the forks from the current 100mm Recons, is it worth going up to 120mm, or will it spoil the handling a bit? Happy to stick with 100mm I think if its a good damper and better controlled. Also, is there any advantage to getting a SID over a Reba or a Fox 32?

curvature
    Free Member

I can’t imagine a 20mm increase would make too much difference in a negative way.

However make sure that the frame can take 120mm forks. Giant may state it is only suitable for 100mm etc.

Clink

Giant don’t rate it for 120, but it hasn’t stopped lots from doing it. Check out mtbr forum.

thomthumb
    Free Member

problem for me with adding longer forks os the bb height. slacker HA is desirable but i hate the feeling of high BBs. loads like it so it’s a personal thing.

Andy_K

I thought by the time you maybe allowed yourself a bit (more?) sag the difference would be minimal, but like I said, I think a good 100 would be fine. Looking at second hand anyway, so not a huge gamble.

cjr61

Love my X29 and thinking about a similar upgrade. Will watch with interest!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve done this on mine – now running 120mm X-Fusion slides. It’s good, definitely makes the bike a little more trail oreientated given the extra travel and the bottom bracket is quite low anyway. I changed from 100mm Rebas and given they’re a little taller axle to crown for a similar length travel x-fusion fork the height increase was pretty negligible in terms of climbing.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yes,
    Run mine with a Fox Float 120 RLC.
    Works well.
    Removed a few spacers on headset to reduce handlebar height.
    No real effect on climbing but a bit more confident going down.
    Forks are for sale if interested.
    300 posted.
    singlespeedtothemax1@hotmail.co.uk
    For photos and more info.
    Thanks,
    Max

richellicott
    Free Member

I doubt theres much issue with an extra 20mm. But think it’s worth knowing that if you have an Anthem with the Overdrive 2 headset and headtube you will need to replace your headset too.
    I recently sold my anthem 29er frame and didn’t know about this, a few years ago Giant tried to introduce a new standard steerer size. It was tapered like all modern forks but the top of the steerer was 1 1/4 inches wide not 1 1/8.
    Just thought I’d mention it incase you didn’t already know.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anthem 29er – fork upgrade’ is closed to new replies.