Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Another US police shooting
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Really hope the investigation goes further than looking only at the actions of the police officer.

I fear they are laying all the blame on one rogue officer who made “bad decision”, when it seems there is a more widespread problem of a trigger-happy culture in the police force and an entitlement to use whatever force they like, with only the flimsiest of excuses to justify it. I wonder if he was told by his colleagues to say “he tried to take my tazer/gun” whenever he shoots someone.

nemesis
    Free Member

I wasn’t suggesting they were sure of it. As I said, that they then ignored him (other than to cuff him) seems rather surprising.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m amazed he didn’t put a hot one into the dude filming.

footflaps

I wonder if he was told by his colleagues to say “he tried to take my tazer/gun” whenever he shoots someone.

From the video the ‘struggle’ is plausible, as something is dropped just as the camera comes on to the two of them. No excuse for shooting him in the back 8 times though….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wasn’t suggesting they were sure of it.

You seemed pretty sure of it though, quote : “the guy was shot through the heart. He wasn’t going to survive”

Unless he was properly examined by a qualified person I can’t see how anyone would know exactly what vital organs had been hit or how much damaged had been done.

convert

I’m amazed he didn’t put a hot one into the dude filming.

More to the point, having watched that shooting you would either have to have a death wish or balls of steel to not only keep on filming but get closer. In a weird way it shows some trust of the uniform – if it was a random member of the public you had just watched gun someone down you wouldn’t hang around to watch.

irc

Are the Officers observational skills that bad as well? (not to notice or note/acknowledge someone holding a camera/object within their peripheral). Or are they that blasé?

Just tunnel vision. If you are concentrating hard on shoooting a man running away from you then your peripheral vision is useless.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I always thought that a bullet through the heart means pretty much instant death, how long can you live after a bullet has gone through your heart?

Bullets aren’t as lethal as people think – according to this a bullet wound to the heart has a mortality rate of ~80% and speed of intervention is a key factor in determining outcomes.

He probably would have died anyway but lack of proper assessment and intervention guaranteed it.

footflaps

He probably would have died anyway but lack of proper assessment and intervention guaranteed it.

That’s a nice way of saying they didn’t give a shit if he died or not!

Klunk
    Free Member

chances are he’ll be acquitted, either the federal authorities will then prosecute on civil rights abuses or law suit by the family on the same grounds

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Just tunnel vision. If you are concentrating hard on shoooting a man running away from you then your peripheral vision is useless.

Yup, I’ve never shot and killed someone 25 yards away but I imagine that it’s probably like being in a fight – intensely focused on what you’re doing and oblivious to what’s happening around you.

bencooper
    Free Member

US police officers killed twice as many people last month as UK police killed in the whole of the 20th Century.

American Cops Just Killed More People in March than the UK Did in the Entire 20th Century

digga
    Free Member

The litany of police shootings – legal or otherwise – in the USA is tragic.

The elephant in the room is the nation’s obsession with gun ownership, but given it is so deeply ingrained in their culture, I can’t see any quick or easy fix.

amedias
    Free Member

I can’t see any quick or easy fix.

It won’t be easy or quick to fix, it’ll be hard and take ages, problem is they don’t seem to even be making much of a start at fixing it

yunki
    Free Member

the murder rap will hopefully prevent rioting.. but if he gets acquitted there is gonna be hell on the streets of S.Carolina

kimbers

the greater crime seems to be letting him bleed to death on the floor

and then the police colluding to lie about giving him CPR, certainly gives the impression that its standard practice to just lie on your report and say they tried to save him

will the other 2 cops who didnt give him treatment face charges?

jambalaya
    Free Member

the greater crime seems to be letting him bleed to death on the floor

and then the police colluding to lie about giving him CPR, certainly gives the impression that its standard practice to just lie on your report and say they tried to save him

will the other 2 cops who didnt give him treatment face charges?
    I don’t agree. The greater crime is shooting the guy in the back. He checked his pulse, he could have decided he was dead already. The other police may not have colluded other than to take the officers word as to what happened. As far as I can ell he was the only officer present at the time of the actual shooting. If the other officers have been told he is dead then there is no reason to administer first aid.

digga
    Free Member

amedias – Member

I can’t see any quick or easy fix.

It won’t be easy or quick to fix, it’ll be hard and take ages, problem is they don’t seem to even be making much of a start at fixing it[/quote]Agreed.

As I say, the whole gun thing is so deeply embedded in their culture that they’re not really able to step back and make any attempt at a rational debate on the issue, let alone change the situation.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I expect that by shooting at him 8 times they were fully intending to kill the guys therefore what would be the point in administering any first aid or making any attempt to save his life?

But i guess if you’re leaking like a sieve then administering CPR will just speed up the escape of blood from your body.

Its a nonsence of a situation in the US, or appears to be so from thousands of miles across the pond. Life seems to be very cheap in the US if they can justify the countless deaths from guns every year just to keep their ownership of guns and tolerate the Police administering their Judge Dredd style of law enforcement, where police officers are deciding if people should live or die.

andyl
    Free Member

Guy doesnt drop after the first couple of shots so not sure if they all hit him and then he seems to have his head up for 30 seconds or so after he does finally go down so not sure I buy the Police story at the moment. Immediate care is everything, if it wasnt a hole in the heart or head then first aid could have made all the difference combined with quick response by medical crews. But I guess they weren’t interested in that.

nickc

He checked his pulse, he could have decided he was dead already

Even with no pulse, you can successfully administer CPR. You’d at least give it a go, wouldn’t you?

It’s just seems like a callous disregard for another human’s life.

8 rounds at a man running away, it beggers belief 😕

stumpy01

Always struck me as being very gung ho over in America with regards to just unleashing a hail of bullets as a result of a minor misdemeanour.

Used to watch those US cop programs all the time (American version of Police Interceptors) and the amount of times they would stop someone for speeding, which would escalate to the person trying to do a runner because they had a bag of weed in the boot and the policeman would just get a gun out and start shooting at the perp…..

Saw one once where they were chasing a Harley Davidson with pillion. Can’t remember the reason for the chase, something like shoplifting or speeding – nothing too serious – and the policeman eventually rammed the motorbike off the road, killing the rider & pillion because he ‘failed to stop’. So two dead people – just like that for the sake of what was really a minor indiscretion in the scheme of things.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I saw the beginning of this vid on BBC this morning but just watched the whole mind boggling thing. I haven’t studied it, but I could see not a single drop of blood on his shirt which seems strange to say the least.

I know 9mm rounds have little stopping power,(I recall someone was hit with 7 shots from an smg in NI and got up and ran away!) so a mortal strike would be needed to kill as quickly as that.

If it wasn’t so in the news I don’t think I would have believed it was real….if I had been that Copper, I’d have taken out the guy with the camera too!

sbob
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

US police officers killed twice as many people last month as UK police killed in the whole of the 20th Century.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/american-cops-killed-people-month-march-uk-entire-20th-century/

An eye-opening and saddening link.
    They’ve really got it wrong, haven’t they? 🙁
    Time for a change in their constitution, not that I can see it happening in my lifetime.

MSP

The American gun culture creates extreme cases that highlight the abuse of power by the police, but I don’t believe that the majority of everyday abuses are any different over there than they are here.

The sooner all police are wearing those cameras being trialled the better. They should be a great tool in protecting innocent people from abusive police, and good cops from stupid accusations.

jambalaya
    Free Member

but I could see not a single drop of blood on his shirt which seems strange to say the least.

@Rockape
    – some of us have debated this at length on other threads related to conspiracy theories. Blood from bullet injuries isn’t a certainty and need not flow heavily or immediately, that’s for the movies. If he was shot in the heart and it stopped beating very quickly there could be virtually no blood.

ninfan
    Free Member

MSP, I think you are right about the importance of cameras,(though think there is still a risk of split second high stress decisions being easy to second guess from the comfort of the office with video replay)

For example:
    [video]https://youtu.be/aCrQyUQCJS0[/video]
    That was a bloody fast escalation from ‘suspect running away’ to ‘suspect drops gun and picks it up again’ – I would not like to have to rely on witness statements to prove my innocence in that one.

hora
    Free Member

On ^ I think that is justifiable- from the moment he drops the gun, crouches immediately then twists the officer is already raising/the fear of danger IMO.

Even if with hindsight anyone can say ‘yes but as the suspected twisted he was turning to run’. hindsight- replay yes but at the scene the suspect had a strong burst of speed/ability to move quickly.

bails

He checked his pulse, he could have decided he was dead already

Even with no pulse, you can successfully administer CPR.

Isn’t “no pulse” the exact situation where you SHOULD be doing CPR?

hooli

I would not want to be a copper in USA.

As much as what this guy did was 100% wrong, remember that it is not just the cops that carry guns so when a copper turns up somewhere, there is a very real chance he will get shot at too. I would imagine that would make the best of us a bit edgy and possibly trigger happy.

Again, I am in no way justifying his actions just mentioning that there are 2 sides to everything.

ninfan
    Free Member

Hora, yes that’s the way I saw it too, you could even understand him telling the other bloke to stay back till they at least had another officer there to disarm him (which they did as soon as he got there) though again after that they all stood about looking stupid rather than begin effective first aid)

I would imagine that without the camera the witness versions of events would have been pretty damning against the officer though.

bails

Again, I am in no way justifying his actions just mentioning that there are 2 sides to everything

He shot an unarmed, fleeing suspect in the back, then appears to plant a taser near him while doing nothing to try to save his life. This is beyond “I overreacted a bit because I’m a bit wary of the general public”.

And yes there are two sides to this story, the police’s side and the side recorded on camera.

ninfan
    Free Member

Nah, the planting thing was bollocks, firstly he did it after the other cop got there, secondly you then see him pick it up and reholster it a couple of minutes later. (And he would have been better putting it in an evidence bag to prove the bloke had grabbed it off him)

MSP

I have watched it a few times now, and it does look to me like the video picks up the tail end of a struggle in which the officers tazer falls to the ground, the “victim” then runs and is shot dead. After handcuffing the apparently dead man, he jogs back, picks up the tazer and comes back and puts it on the ground for a relatively short time before holstering it.

So my take on the incident is excessive deadly force in the heat of the moment. But not cold blooded murder.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The video was given to the families lawyer who passed it to the NY Times. It could be the earlier confrontation was filmed and that’s been edited.

moose
    Free Member

I don’t envy the job of US police officers, unfortunately absolute gash-bags like this clown destroy any or what little credibility they have left. This case will be interesting to follow and see if they can honestly represent the facts and hold those accountable.

That doesn’t excuse some of the comments here though, some are genuinely laughable; Any comparison between our police and the Americans are disingenuous to say the least.
    Our firearm teams are medically trained or have a specific medic, they are legally bound to provide treatment to any and all that are wounded, once an individual has been shot or are no longer deemed a threat medical assistance is given. US officers are not obligated to provide first aid to someone they’ve shot, they call and bus and let the EMTs deal with it. Not saying it’s right, but that’s the way they operate.

The comments about ‘gun culture’ are the best. People going banzai with legally owned firearms is an issue and one that needs dealing with, but in reality due to their right to bear arms will never get touched, coupled with the power organisations like the NRA have in lobbying congress. Even if somehow tighter controls or bans were put in place, in no way would that eradicate gun crime, nor the risk posed to police. Not when you have a steady flow of Russian block weapons and equipment crossing the southern border for supply to extremely violent and organised gangs, also the same gangs have members joining the U.S. military and supplying them hardware as well.

Some of the Mexican gangs have been linked with the likes of AQ moving weapons across the border for their nutcases, they also quite violently protect they people trafficking business as well, I spent three days with the border guys in Southern California and had my eyes opened in a big way. Most people don’t realise how lucky we are to live on this tiny island that has effectively banned all weapons and does a fairly good job of tracking those that want to bring them in.

MSP

So my take on the incident is excessive deadly force in the heat of the moment. But not cold blooded murder.

Actually I am going to take that back, it is based on an assumption that the dead man caused the scuffle and not the police officer, when there is no evidence to support that. So much hinges on what happened before the video picks up the incident, it really could go either way.

moose
    Free Member

MSP, I agree. Also the only justification for engaging that man for me would have been if he was armed and his demeanour and attitude led me to belive he may attempt to harm someone. Other than that a good solid rugby tackle and arm bar to submission would suffice.

The issue is the officers actions post incident are suspicious to say the least. The ‘item’ dropped should be left in situ for CSI to document and process, the fact he moved it means he actually tampered with a crime scene!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it is based on an assumption that the dead man caused the scuffle and not the police officer, when there is no evidence to support that.

I can’t see what difference who “caused” the scuffle makes.

The police officer said that he feared for his life because the man had taken his stun gun in a scuffle after a traffic stop.

This picture of him shooting at Walter Scott doesn’t back up his claim that he was “fearing for his life”

Which presumably explains why the officer has been charged with first-degree murder. Irrespective of what happened before the shooting.

hora
    Free Member

For the heat of the moment types:

You have a disagreement with someone, street, in your house as a burglar etc.

You fight him off. He flees, you then pursue him and bring him down then keep hitting him (in the case of a UK burglary case the men chasing used a baseball bat).

Regardless its no longer self defence.

Its excessive force, now an assault (by you) or worse.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Another US police shooting’ is closed to new replies.