Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • Another good reason for Scotland to gain independence….
  • tree-magnet
    Free Member

The reason it is not discriminatory is is that anyone who meets the qualifying criteria can get this perk.

Cool, so everyone gets it…

A scots person who went to secondary in England could not, an English person who went to secondary in Scotland could do so.

But some don’t…

Erm…

So it’s discriminatory based on where you went to secondary school.

molgrips
    Free Member

Merely pointing out the nonsense spouted by the poor downtrodden English folk

I don’t think people are complaing about being hard done by. Just pointing out discrimination.

Legal yes, but it doesn’t seem fair.

Why does someone from France not have to pay, but someone from England does?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – its not discrimination in the sense of being unfair. Thats the point.

Why does someone from France not have to pay

🙄 because of EU reciprocal arrangements.

transapp
    Free Member

I would have thought its discriminatory against UK (note, Scotland included) passport holders vs other EU countries unless otherwise qualified via high school.

Actually, it’s more bloody stupid than discrimination with the EU thing. makes complete sense otherwise.

duckman

2. The criterion is not having been to a scottish school. There is no requirement for members of other EU countries to have done so.

Yup, and we have an agreement that Scots can go to other countries Uni’s under the same deal.Seems like people jumping up and down because education is still sort of free up here.This is because of the fees in England, every school leaver in England would be applying,just to avoid paying in England. And the nightmare scenario….they might not leave after 4 years (and who could blame them.)
    exhibit a) Jeremy, Tandem (soz TJ 😀 )
    There is an easy way to fix this; make HE free in England and Wales….

I do have to point out that the OP has a wee bit of previous where it comes to having an axe to grind about Scotland.

richmtb

So Cameron and Nick the Shit impose a huge increase in tuition fees on English students and this is the Scottish government’s fault how exactly?

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – its not discrimination in the sense of being unfair.

I still can’t see why not.

There is an easy way to fix this; make HE free in England and Wales..

It would fix the issue, but it would not be easy!

For the record, I understand entirely why they would say this, and they are in a difficult position, but the unavoidable result is somewhat unfair.

ransos
    Free Member

Yup, and we have an agreement that Scots can go to other countries Uni’s under the same deal.Seems like people jumping up and down because education is still sort of free up here.

Who’s jumping up and down? Not me. I merely point out that with regard to fees at Scottish universities, the English, Welsh and Northern Irish are treated less favourably than the Irish, French, Spanish etc.

I’ve always argued that HE should be state funded, BTW.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps a better idea would be to keep the same fee structure as the rest of the UK but give all Scottish students a grant. Are you allowed to allocate grants based on geographical criteria?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Merely pointing out the nonsense spouted by the…English folk

You’re English as well though, aren’t you?

😉

druidh
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    So Cameron and Nick the Shit impose a huge increase in tuition fees on English students and this is the Scottish government’s fault how exactly?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funny that the Scottish government thinks its unfair (In an ideal world, no students would pay fees. Our main priority has to be to protect opportunities for Scottish students), lawyers think it (may be) discriminatory and the courts are possibly still deciding. Its an anomaly resulting from legal definitions of states/nations etc and is frankly absurd.

But then given that the Scottish government has to rely on a block grant from Westminster to fund free education and to make cuts in other areas to fund the policy, I am sure that those people who choose not to go to Uni or who cannot afford to go (in Scotland and England) are happy about the fairness of all this.

druidh
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    But then given that the Scottish government has to rely on a block grant from Westminster

And therein lies the real issue. If each “nation” had to raise all the taxes it spent, there would be fewer claims of unfairness. There are two ways of achieving that – full federalism and independence.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time for this again, I think;

😉

Does anyone have a wattage output reading yet? Surely we must be up to the level of at least one windfarm by now! 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed druidh. I am sure your fellow Scottish constitutional experts will be able to explain how this is not at the very least “an anomaly”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edited – pointless debating with THM.

ransos
    Free Member

Yo could even listen to the arguemnets presented.

Could you convince me why it’s not an anomaly that English, Welsh and Northern Irish students are treated differently from the rest of the EU?

It is not unfair, The Scottish government does not think it unfair ( if that quote is not deliberately taken out of contest it shows your lack of understanding)

The Scottish government would say that, wouldn’t they?

No one is testing it in the courts. Quite a few people threatened to do so but no one has as there is no grounds to do so and the Scottish government made sure it was legal before introducing it.

Please tell me you don’t think that because something is legal, it must be fair?

druidh
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Indeed druidh. I am sure your fellow Scottish constitutional experts will be able to explain how this is not at the very least “an anomaly”.

Ah – notice that I chose my words very carefully –

druidh – Member
    And therein lies the real issue. If each “nation” had to raise all the taxes it spent, there would be fewer claims of unfairness.

Trust me, it works both ways. As an example, there are various cancer (and other) treatments available via the NHS in England but not in Scotland. This seems unfair to some but it’s simply a question of how each nation prioritises its spending.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Phew…and the sun is shining outside and its drying out. Three positive developments all at once!

[ps TJ that comment works best first time out. Loses impact when repeated 😉 but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery 😉 ]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed again druidh it does (ie works both ways). Discrimination both ways?

davidjones15
    Free Member

I was thinking about retraining and doing another degree course and had thought about doing a degree in another European country.
    The only thing stopping me is the quality of the courses, I’ve heard negative things about degree courses in some EU countries. Will this separation and closer ties to the EU mean a continued lower level of courses in Scotland?

druidh
    Free Member

It’s no more discriminatory than any other government policy which varies from one country to another.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perhaps not, but the Westminster funding makes it slightly awkward, no? Anyway its not the Scottish government that designed this – and they recognise that its not fair, but as you say they prioritise as they see fit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

THM – do yo actually believe that quote means what you say it does?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So now most folk have gone fromclaiming its illegal and discriminatory to

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup. I know I will be called a black kettle 🙂 but given, for example, his gross distortion of that quote and repeating of this distortion as if it proves his point……………

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😉 druidh, it was nice while it lasted. But the picture elevates the debate doesn’t it 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teamhurtmore – given your first post on this contains a gross distortion of a quote and several false premises ( in your usual style)? Followed by obvious snide dig in the next post? From previous experience of your “style” I know you will simply descend into insults and refuse to answer when this is pointed out to you hence its pointless. Its what yo always do

Anyway – you can claim the win if you want – I will not answer another post of yours.

donsimon
    Free Member

I know you will simply descend into insults and refuse to answer when this is pointed out to you hence its pointless

Now then TJ, this really is quite amusing, isn’t it? How can you charge people with this when you know perfectly well it’s what you do.
    EDIT:

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great, please keep your promise this time!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Well this argument throws up lots of interesting perspectives including this (in the aftermath of Edin Uni’s decision to increase (sorry double!!) its offers made to English students:

Graeme Kirkpatrick, the NUS’s Scottish deputy president, warned Edinburgh was “doing huge damage to its reputation” by offering more places to English school leavers. “There is simply no need for it to be so greedy and chase the students with the highest price tag, given the record levels of public investment being put into Scottish universities,” he said.
    Not a hint of discrimination there??

A gross distortion – is this a bit like a where’s willy game?

There are more ironies in the quote (probably unintentional) than any distortion from me.

zokes
    Free Member

So now most folk have gone fromclaiming its illegal and discriminatory to

It discriminates on whether or not you went to school in England or Wales, but not NI (thanks to the dual nationality loophole), or the rest of the EU. If Scotland was independent, it wouldn’t apply to England or Wales either.

So, as per the thread title – another good reason for Scotland to become independent.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So, as per the thread title – another good reason for Scotland to become independent.

Or maybe just another good reason why you should carry on living on the other side of the world zokes …….since UK constitutional affairs seem to bother you so much 💡

Northwind

Graeme Kirkpatrick, the NUS’s Scottish deputy president, warned Edinburgh was “doing huge damage to its reputation” by offering more places to English school leavers. “There is simply no need for it to be so greedy and chase the students with the highest price tag, given the record levels of public investment being put into Scottish universities,” he said.

He was, however, talking absolute pish. The Scottish Government rations funding- if a Scottish university fills itself with Scottish students, they end up teaching a substantial amount of them for free as there are less funded places than there are taught places. Or alternatively we could run all our courses about 2/3ds full- either way, we run at a loss. (or, perhaps, cut costs immensely, but there’s no chance at all that this could be done without severely impacting the quality of teaching even in the good times)

So, it’s absolutely neccesary to chase students from elsewhere- not just RUK but ROW. And they chase RUK students over ROW, for obvious reasons.

(not least of which is the ongoing UK government interventions to make it harder and more expensive for foreigners to study in the UK)

zokes
    Free Member

Or maybe just another good reason why you should carry on living on the other side of the world zokes …….since UK constitutional affairs seem to bother you so much

Of course, you’d never discuss anything to do with things on the other side of the world, such as Argentina’s claim to the Falklands, would you?

Nah, of course not: that would be stupid, wouldn’t it…

duckman

teamhurtmore – Member

But then given that the Scottish government has to rely on a block grant from Westminster to fund free education and to make cuts in other areas to fund the policy, I am sure that those people who choose not to go to Uni or who cannot afford to go (in Scotland and England) are happy about the fairness of all this.

POSTED 12 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

While I realise you have an axe to grind over us,(judging by your previous input into any thread about Scotland) please explain to me why,since I don’t have cancer, I should be okay with the idea that you can get treatments in England that I can’t in Scotland,yet my national insurance conts fund these? No more stupid than your argument about funding…IMO,more important as I could be denied treatments that could save/prolong life.
    It is YOUR Government who is discriminating against it’s own, but lets ignore that and shout about mine….Another Q, Do you think that is going to improve when you have a Tory Government for ever?

Teamhurtmore; “picking the speck out of his neighbours eye,while ignoring the log in his own since Alex announced a referendum.”

whatnobeer
    Free Member

So you’re government is charging silly fee’s and thats our fault? Right. Whats with the chip on the shoulder? Or do you just like to wind TJ up? 😉

Well said Duckman.

toys19
    Free Member

Does anyone really give a shit? I would happily pay money not to have to go to Uni in Scotland, it’s full of miserable gits, it’s cold and wet, and we export all our pillocks there.

The only happy scots I know don’t live in Scotland..

(edit – it’s moot as I’m unlikely to go to uni having done it already, but my kids might go to uni, please god that they don’t want to go to scotland)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

please god that they don’t want to go to scotland

Would give you a good excuse to visit and ride bikes here? Oh wait, no, its cold and wet all the time. Best stick to the bridleways down your way where its always sunny and warm.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Another good reason for Scotland to gain independence….’ is closed to new replies.