Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 178 total)
  • Annual Festive 500 Thread
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

46Km left to do tomorrow, did a bit more after work than planned, including a 45min social group ride that went way beyond it’s advertised pace.

thenorthwind

Well done Merak.

Another gentle local 35km today to test my new tubeless setup puts me on 274km, so if tomorrow’s 200 goes to plan, I’ll only need another 26km on Thursday to complete, which is more bearable than 60km the day after a 200.

Looks like it’ll be a cold one tomorrow – only above freezing for 2 hours, and that’s in town 😬 Two 100km loops planned so I can come back to the van and make some hot food/coffee and eat “inside”.

tombon
    Free Member

72km done today in heavy snow with extreme hand pain for the last 20 mins takes me to 399, all outside. 65 yesterday evening was one of the nicest rides I’ve done in a long time, deserted roads, cold but still, such a nice ride, definitely wouldn’t have headed out at 6.30pm on a cold December evening if not for this challenge.

Yesterday morning got cut short due to even the main roads near Wolverhampton getting inches deep in snow in a very short time.

Should easily do it, although judging by the cold out there tonight, tomorrow morning is probably a no no. Got to try and squeeze an extra 40km in somehow to get my annual total up to 10000km

Merak

I take my bespoke waxed cotton cycling cap off to anyone who does this.

It’s no mean feat especially this year given the freezing conditions we’re having.

I’ve decided, external circumstances permitting that I’m doing this in sunshine next year.

The west coast of Scotland is just not cricket for this kind of endeavour.

schmiken

Just done another 47km to take my total up to 482km, heading to Sherwood Pines tomorrow, so two loops on the SS will get me over the line. Hurray!

gastromonkey
    Free Member

115km left for me. The plan is early ride on my own tomorrow for 30km followed by some fire roads with Mrs G. Leaving 30-40km for early morning on NYE.

I have mixed my rides between the road and some of the gravel tracks, canal and bridleways.

Well done to everyone who has already finished.

mrchrispy

started yesterday with 200k left to do, hit Zwift with the intention of getting 100k in (and ticking off the volcano 25 laps achievement), got carried away ended up doing an old money century 😮
    30k left….I got this.

Sandwich

Just done another 47km to take my total up to 482km, heading to Sherwood Pines tomorrow, so two loops on the SS will get me over the line.

As Fred would say “A good effort”.

MrSparkle

That’s me done too. It’s been pretty tough so pleased to complete. The freezing fog this morning was a nice touch I thought…
    Good luck with finishing everyone else who is still going. 👍

curto80
    Free Member

I think I’m making a bit of a meal of this but another 100km ticked off. Abandoned the flats and went up on the South Downs and it was so much more fun. First couple of hours with the frost on the roads were done very cautiously. Views from Butser this morning were breathtaking. Nice change not to get absolutely hammered on by the sleet showers of the previous two efforts.

34km to go, had a SS metric century planned for tomorrow but might give myself a break and just do what I need to.

teddy
    Free Member

24k left for me to do today. All done outside. But in Houston Texas so that puts me on par with the zwifters I guess..

eskay

Someone from my club is doing a charity 500km ride on zwift today in one hit! Just checked and he is at 350km at the moment.

mrmo
    Free Member

Upto 467km, and might have overdone it, a little discomfort in one knee. Will see what it feels like tomorrow.

Mole
    Free Member

Bottom bracket went on the fat bike so fixed my road bike up which I’ve not rode for ages and did 35mile on it which in all honesty I didn’t really enjoy..the roads are a right mess and I’ve not missed the close passing vehicles. Anyway decided to take the dog out instead this morning and fix the fatty up this afternoon. Not getting in the distance before tomorrow now but I’m just going to carry on as I’m off until the 11th. Well done to all who complete.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

That’s me completed,(536km) what a relief. Was another cold one today with lots of icy patches about.

Conundrum for me now is if I bag another 58k tomorrow that would bring my annual mileage up to 16,100k/10,000 miles. Snow forecast tomorrow so I might not bother.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Nice stories to read here. My status:
    150k done on mountain bike
    150k done on road bike
    100k done on turbo today, just to recharge cos was really feeling tired.

Got 100k to do tomorrow.

Good luck all, and super respect to those who haven’t reached for the turbo, wherever you are.

richpips
    Free Member

For balance, I’ve been out every day on the bike since the 24th.

I’ve only done about 75km though, all on the MTB.

Looking forward to being able to get back to Mallorca next year!

schmiken

All done, finished it all off on the SS at Sherwood. Really pleased to have finished!

alwillis

Finished today with 75km on the hardtail round the Cotswold lanes. Lots of ice, slush and mud so glad I didnt take the winterbike (it still needs lots of TLC from the preceding 430km).

Well done to all who attempted, inside or out. No idea how anyone uses a turbo for enough time to do this kind of distance- I would rather get cold toes and windburn!

ton

i am gonna fail with only 30 miles left to do

bike broke today while out on a ride, managed 62 mile, but had to spend the last 10 mile smashing the left crank back on with a brick. lost the crankbolt on my square taper bb.
    and i dont have a spare bike.

bit fed up after my efforts.

anyone got a xl bike i can borrow ??

Sandwich

@MrSparkle your sparkle appears to be missing in the last picture. Today was character forming?

reluctantjumper

120km done today, leaves 73km for tomorrow. Legs are feeling it but I’m better off than a mate who did one more loop this afternoon round his estate to tick over the 500km and was knocked off! Only badly bruised but his bike is a write-off. He was planning to go out tomorrow anyway so didn’t need to do the extra 3km, such bad luck.

peteimpreza

62km left to do tomorrow 🤞

crazy-legs

Finished it with a day to spare with the rather nicely judged 501km! (all outdoors)

106km needed and it turned out at 106.8 on the Garmin but I guess the rounding of previous rides has added up too. Had a bit of a near miss towards the end – indicating to turn left off the road onto the canal towpath and because it was a very tight narrow junction to drop onto it and also quite icy, I swung wide (still indicating left), turned in…and the car that had been behind me was trying to pass on my left. She slammed on and I asked which part of the indicating left she’d failed to understand. Close call. Ironically, I was trying to get onto the towpath to get away from the shit standards of driving, it hadn’t been my intended final route in.

I’ve decided, external circumstances permitting that I’m doing this in sunshine next year.
    The west coast of Scotland is just not cricket for this kind of endeavour.

@Merak
    – I did that in ’17 and ’18, went to Gran Canaria. A few of us had had enough of the shit weather, the expectations to be running around between family and dealing with the abysmal driving that seems more prevalent over Christmas. Was lovely, riding in shorts and short sleeves every day. Bloody hilly out there, it was normal to have 3500+m of climbing in a 100km ride but dry roads, warm weather and lots of decent little cafes everywhere somehow made up for all of that! Various friends and acquaintances have done Majorca, Lanzarote and Malaga for the duration as well.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Finished off before dinner, despite the setback of losing ~25% of my outdoor distance towards the tally today, when my commute home didn’t save!

Mole
    Free Member

Ton…56cm cannondale synapse any good for you? Bolton based.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Last 28km to do tonight. Will square that off in the next hour.

ugarizza
    Free Member

Anyone else with 100k or more left?
    I feel like I left my homework until the night before listening to you guys 🙂

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I have 61km to do tomorrow. Today was the first day it felt like hard work. Dodging the ice on the roads this morning then again on the mountain bike this afternoon.

ton

Mole
    Free Member
    Ton…56cm cannondale synapse any good for you? Bolton based.

Mole, thanks very much for the offer, but i have resigned myself to the fact i will drink beer all day tomorrow instead.

cheers man

MrSparkle

Sandwich – the face was frozen but the sparkle still remains! 😉

Mole – top man for your offer to Ton. 👏

neila

I’m done too. 60km today in the Gloucestershire slush took me to 514km with a day to spare. I’ve been solo so far but a mate fancies a ride tomorrow so I’ll add a few extra km’s on top. Well done to everyone who has completed and keep going to those nearly there.

Mole
    Free Member

No worries Ton..you got closer than me and I shall raise a glass tonight & tomorrow with you!

boblo
    Free Member

Conundrum for me now is if I bag another 58k tomorrow that would bring my annual mileage up to 16,100k/10,000 miles.

And the correct answer is: ‘but of course, chop chop…’ 😉

I’ve 97km to knock off (ooops, poor choice of words) tomorrow to complete the 510km – all outside. Coincidently, I also finished my arbitrary and quite contrived 12×12 (12 half marathons x 12 imperial centuries) on Tuesday. Happy with that as I started riding and running again during the last week of April 2020 after my c5/c6/c7 were rearranged Volvo vs bike stylee last year…

Happy New Year everyone 😉

thenorthwind

Sorry to hear that Ton mate 🙁 440km more than most though.

Picked a cracking day for my 200 today – freezing but bloody gorgeous. Sticking to gritted routes for my first 100km loop worked brilliantly. Should have done the second loop in the same way – thought it would have melted by then but don’t think it got above freezing in some places, and there was plenty of ice on the lanes. Kept things interesting though, and I survived unscathed.

Just 23km to do now but won’t count my chickens.

tombon
    Free Member

All done now, 501km all outside. Feel quite pleased with myself, the weather certainly has been against us. Just got to do 46km tomorrow to take my distance for the year to 10,000km.

Well done everyone for at least attempting it, even if it didn’t work out for some.

curto80
    Free Member

Freezing cold in the New Forest this morning but tapped out the last 40km I needed. Ended on 510km / 5200m ascent.

I’ve just kept chipping away at it. My longest ride was 101km (x2) but I got out every day for a couple of hours at least. Most days I was back before the kids were up so it’s not really interfered much with family time. No way would I have had the motivation to go out in the dark / sleet / cold otherwise so it’s been good to have a target.

speedstar

Did the full 506km on the turbo as working and have 6 month old baby. Got up at 3:30am yesterday morning and did 97km in 3:10 then went to work. Came home and got straight back on the turbo for 109km also in 3:10. Some tightness in left hip but glad I finished yesterday so can relax with a couple of glasses of wine tonight. Well done to everyone trying and completing it. Outside looked really Baltic!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Managed to box it off yesterday. Bloody good job, woke up to a dusting of snow that has now melted then froze so no chance of riding today. Done the challenge a few times now and this was definitely the coldest. All three rides this year I’ve set off in sub zero temps and the mercury never really raised much.
    First ride
    104 miles 167km 19.8mph coldest -1 av. 1
    Second ride
    123mile 197km 18.8mph coldest 0 av. 1.5
    Third ride
    105mile 170km 19.4mph coldest -4 av. -2

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I finished my 500 this afternoon. Split the ride today. All outside and enjoyed some fantastic rides and some sketchy icy roads like today.

Well done to everyone who has finished.

Time for a beer or 5.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Annual Festive 500 Thread’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM