Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)
  • Annual Festive 500 Thread
  • Mole
    Free Member

Decided to stay faithful to my ice cream truck as it’s the only bike I’ve ridden all year and also the local terrain(West pennies moors)..done 3 rides totalling 150k with over 10,000ft of climbing..got a feeling I’m going to fall short on the 500 but it’s getting me out there and in my book that’s better than doing any on a turbo.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’m on 250km so right on track. It looks like the worst of the weather will have passed by tomorrow.

This is my first attempt and I’m not as fit as I would like. But I’m enjoying getting out grinding out the km.

reluctantjumper

225km after today. Hope to get 100km done tomorrow in 2 separate sessions as the 29th I doubt I’ll have much time to get more than an hour in.

MrSparkle

Well done everyone sticking at it. This is no walk in the park!

Mole – whereabouts are you?

Straightliner

Tapped out a further (flat) 50km on Zwift this evening. Leaves me with 62km to go now. If Zwift/indoor riding wasn’t allowed (like normal) there is no way I’d be getting many km’s in, so I’m pleased it is. However I am under no illusion that it’s the same as battling the cold, dark, ice and mud fest of British trails and roads at this time of year. Chapeau to those doing it “properly”.

Mole
    Free Member

MrSparkle-Heaton,Bolton.

peteimpreza

Just over half way for me, with 253km in the bag. 110km outdoors.

But very much this…..

“ If Zwift/indoor riding wasn’t allowed (like normal) there is no way I’d be getting many km’s in, so I’m pleased it is. However I am under no illusion that it’s not the same as battling the cold, dark, ice and mud fest of British trails and roads at this time of year. Chapeau to those doing it “properly”.

reluctantjumper

Absolutely. I’m under no illusions I would manage this outdoors as I don’t really do road riding.

Sandwich

Started today and did 30km on some interesting sections of road. There’s no way I’m going to get the 500 done as my surgeon will be just a bit upset if I undo all his good work. First ride since 6 November and it felt good.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Sitting at 262km now. Will pace the rest out at 60-70km per day.

STL

First year actually trying this. No way it would be possible without the trainer.
    Did 2 days of 68km on FulGaz Dec 24/25 (it didn’t get above 0C both days here), then managed to get out for 2 solid rides (137 and 100km) outside this weekend.
    Quite happy at 376km over the first 4 days. Likely day off tomorrow to let the knees get a break. Looking at those numbers now need to balance out the indoor and outdoor riding by the looks of it!
    Finally getting close to meeting the goal after half assing it in the past!

Straightliner

Just wrapped up with my final 62km. Pleased to have done it, although does feel much less of an accomplishment doing it indoors.

crazy-legs

I was vaguely thinking of an early road ride before the hordes descend on every tourist spot going. However the weather is that horrible mix of almost zero degrees and wet with extra bits of slushy melting snow in places which is perfect black ice territory.

So I’m still in bed.

curto80
    Free Member

Dangerous day to be out to be honest, horrific conditions on the roads. Managed 2 hours but was already getting a bit hypothermic so glad I didn’t push it any further.

schmiken

Did 30km this morning at 6am before meeting friends to do an additional 70km. Finished now for the day with 390km completed in total. May do 30km tomorrow morning, 25km on Wednesday and then finish off the last 55km on Thursday.

mrchrispy

Sitting at 305k so pretty much on schedule, would never have got this far without Zwift.
    So 2x100k day or 3x70k….hmmmmmm

wait4me

I’m on 288km after today. Was a proper mission this morning; hail, wind freezing cold rain. And to boot my overshoes have failed, hoping I can find an old pair or the next few days will be even more difficult. On the face of it 3x 45 mile rides sounds easy enough, but I think it’ll be anything but with the forecast showing 3c maximum.

reluctantjumper

Planned to do 100k today but had to get off the bike at 35k this morning, couldn’t get the motivation to turn the pedals! Might have a second try at getting some time in this evening, doing an organised event usually works. Hoping it was just the shock of being up early as my legs don’t ache at all, might look at the bike setup too.

mrmo
    Free Member

now 275km, had planned on a decent road ride today, reality, snow and 40km on the mtb instead. Forecast for the next few days is suggesting I am not going to finish this year.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Another cold one this morning average temperature was -1C. Was quite a nice training ride my legs felt much better than yesterday. So 95k left now but I also need another 100k by the end of the year to get to 16100k 10000miles. Hopefully the weather will play ball. 3 x 65k rides should do it.

neila

90km ticked off today in cold wintery showers to bring me up to 400km, one more ride (or maybe two) will see me over the finish line. I may finish with a day to spare!

Creg

273KM and I’m having to throw in the towel. Was aiming for another 80km today but after 20km my knee was in bits so I’m abandoning and taking a few days rest. ****’s sake.

crazy-legs

I finally got out the door at 1pm, headed into town where I knew the roads would be fine. Ventured into the lanes for a bit, there was still some slush around but actually it was all rideable, virtually zero traffic and the mudguards and overshoes kept out all the crap.

Only 77km (and my legs are really feeling it this year for some reason, got no zip at all, it’s all just plodding along) but that takes me to 394km done with 106km left to do.

Think I’ll have a rest day tomorrow then do it all in one go on 30th leaving a day of leeway in case it doesn’t all go to plan.

jimdubleyou

Well, having taken the option to ride with Mrs Dubs over the weekend, instead of grinding out 100 Kms on my own, I’m going to abandon at 150 ish. Back to work for the next three days, and whilst I probably could get a couple of hours in a day, I probably won’t!

Chapeau to everybody completing 🙂

MrSparkle

Good going everyone who got out today. I set myself a goal of a minimum of 40 miles and a possible of 100km. I rode out to Southport to not see the sea (local joke) and got 71 miles in. That leaves me 51 miles to do so I am hoping to put this **** to bed tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Mole – I know it well. Slaked my thirst in the Doffy a good few times.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

67Km once again on Zwift added this afternoon, so 114 to fit in around work shifts for the next two days, which will add ~30 from the commute.

The dilemma is whether to stick with the 28mm 4 Season rear tyre, given the ice warnings, or match up the rear with the other 38mm Gravdal while removing the mudguard.

reluctantjumper

Much better this afternoon so just knocked off another 45km. Puts me above the 300 mark so that’s 67/8km per day left. That’s doable.

Mole
    Free Member

Good man Mrsparkle! 38mile on the fatty today..pretty grim again with added slush and ice to slow things down even more. Feet are suffering with cold on every ride so far.

curto80
    Free Member

Had to abandon at 40km this morning and get rescued as unforecast snow storm meant I couldn’t feel my hands or feet. 140km still needed, might have to accept defeat and turn to Zwift

schmiken

43km in the snow this morning leaves just 67km to finish the challenge for the first time ever!

mrchrispy

hats off the the outdoor massive. you are harder than I am.

ton

up to 307km as of now. this mornings 17 mile into work was horrendous.
    60 miles planned for tomorrow, and a steady finish on NYM

oh, and all outside…………….. ace

thenorthwind

Well done ton, hope you finish it off.

Went out yesterday afternoon hoping to get at least 50km, perhaps 60 to leave me with just a couple of hours’ easy spin on NYE after tomorrow’s 200. A seized pedal bearing and two punctures later, I came back cold, pissed off and 40km closer to finishing.

Spent yesterday evening rebuilding pedals and setting my converting my road wheels to tubeless.

I was looking forward to a rest day today and given my aching body and heavy showers it’s going to stay that way. Instead I’m studying Northumberland County Council’s gritting route map in preparation for an icy start tomorrow morning, and dreading having to get up on Thursday and knock out another 60km :-/

MrSparkle

You know that old saying about ‘if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans’? Well overnight snow scuppered my 51 mile road ride to finish so I ended up crawling round an on/off route on the Singlespeed. Two and a half hours to do 20 miles. Absolutely shagged after. Still it did look very nice at times!

crazy-legs

Nothing for me today. I did briefly consider getting the MTB out for a quick loop in the snow but rapidly decided it wasn’t worth it as the snow was melting almost immediately.

Went for a walk instead and sure enough what started as lovely snow rapidly became ice then slush then mud over the space of about 3hrs.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Braved the elements again today. Was a bit snowy slushy. It really is a battle against the elements at this time of year. Up to 477km completed now. Two days to go so should be easy but I still want to bag another 117km to meet my annual mileage target. Serves me right for leaving too much todo in December.

neila

54km done this morning leaving just 46km to go, I should get those in tomorrow leaving NYE as either a day off or just ride for the sake of it and claim 8 days riding. I might break out the mountain bike and then I’ve used all my bikes (summer Enigma, winter Focus, commute/gravel Tempest and MTB BFe) All outdoors too 😁

alwillis

433km down, with a windy, sleety and damp 87 today. Probably finish it off tomorrow, maybe a rest Thursday, or get back in the CrossFit gym while it’s still open.

mrmo
    Free Member

Woke up and it wasn’t as bad as feared, so picked the only road guaranteed to have no snow or flooding thus a 120km out and back to Bristol.

Leaves only 100km to go, in two days which normally wouldn’t be an issue. Will have to see what the weather is like for the next two days and whether I can actually complete.

Merak

In. Your. Face. Winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Annual Festive 500 Thread’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM