Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • annoying phrases
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

No one roosts a trail any more. We need more roosting.

Brycey
    Free Member

[/quote]Fire road… again from the US, we have perfectly good Landrover Tracks thankyou

Or forestry roads.

yunki
    Free Member

I like words.. I like combinations of words.. especially ones that sound silly

rossi46
    Free Member

+1 for Stoked
    +1 for washed out
    +100 for SO…..

surrendermonkey
    Free Member

O’clock – as in ” it’s beer O’clock ”

naffrider
    Free Member

When people say ‘popped my cherry’ in reference to anything new they’ve done.

Even more so when my 8yr old niece overheard someone say it, asked what it meant, I explained what it meant they’ve done something new and then I hear her say it when she went on a new slide.

Massive error on my part.

chvck
    Free Member

So something like this would annoy quite a few people?

So, after finding out what tyres for offroad use, I bought some new ones. I swapped them out for the old ones and they came up big but fitted. After a big of faff and dialling in my suspension we headed out. We went off to session a kicker that gives some phat air. It was pretty gnarly and I washed out, my bad. I was hurting so we headed off up the fire road and got to the pub around beer O’clock.

boblo
    Free Member

@chvck. If you’re Californian, that’s fine (in fact mandatory). If you’re from Bradford, you might just sound a little silly 🙂

marco
    Free Member

This is brilliant!
    +1 for:
    Stoked
    My bad

any more?

yunki
    Free Member

I can’t pin down a specific phrase or word.. but those people who sound really pompous and condescending all the time really disrupt the flow of my chi…

naffrider – Member

When people say ‘popped my cherry’ in reference to anything new they’ve done.

Even more so when my 8yr old niece overheard someone say it, asked what it meant, I explained what it meant they’ve done something new and then I hear her say it when she went on a new slide.

Massive error on my part.

8yr olds know about sex these days you know – albeit that would be one for the parents rather than the uncle I suppose.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Steed. It’s a bike, call it a bike, it’s not a bloody horse or anything else, yes Steve Peat says it, but doesn’t mean you have to have a trusty steed too.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

‘Swap out’ drives me mad, as does people saying ‘dot com’ at the end of a phrase…

rOcKeTdOg

+1 my bad, it’s your fault you dimwit

singletrackhor
    Free Member

+1 more for stoked. You did an 1ft drop and now youre going to keep a fire going. eh!?!

“lessons to be learnt” WTF! you can start an illegal war, rob money off the taxpayers, cock up the lives of millions of people, be corrupt, avoid taxes, play away from home, steal money, rip customers off but as long as “lessons are learnt” everything is fine. AARRGHH!!!

_tom_
    Free Member

People who call the police rozzers, pigs, bacon etc.

iDave
    Free Member

Do what I do – never talk anyone about cyclists/riding/bikes/components

It’s not difficult.

Garry_Lager

Steed. It’s a bike, call it a bike, it’s not a bloody horse or anything else, yes Steve Peat says it, but doesn’t mean you have to have a trusty steed too.

Likewise, the ‘stable’ has potential to get the piss simmering. It is nice and succinct though. Better than the armoury, which I have actually heard one person say with a straight face.

chvck
    Free Member

I like to keep the weapons in my quiver in the armoury?

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Older menfolk (nearly said guys then!) that call each other ‘dude’ !!
    Makes me chuckle inwardly every time I hear em.

Oh and ‘at the end of the day’ I go to bed!

deviant
    Free Member

‘Session’ for me too….

….occurs in just about every MTB magazine now.

“we went back to session the drops”….no no NO.

‘Practise’ is what should be written.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah or ‘Bro’ when they come from Chalfont St Peter or some such…

robsoctane
    Free Member

I just got pulled for saying ‘attacking’ the hill?

Listen, I’m one sick dude, proper on it & pin it to win it. Anyhooo, laters… 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

**** me. What a bunch of anally retentive ****. Live and let live guys, FFS.

jimjam
    Free Member

deviant

“we went back to session the drops”….no no NO.

‘Practise’ is what should be written.

But messing around and having fun might have been the motivation, in which case practise would not be correct. Session is the word which best describes the activity, deal with it.

stanley

Gosh…… some people really need to get out and have some fun more often :-/

Edit- anyway, wrong bloody forum 😉

barbus
    Free Member

Nailed-it. (As in We Nailed-it)

Hammered. (As In we hammered down there)

Unless you are builder or a carpenter you cannot use these words.

Go Figure.!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So, after finding out what tyres for offroad use, I bought some new ones. I swapped them out for the old ones and they came up big but fitted. After a big of faff and dialling in my suspension we headed out. We went off to session a kicker that gives some phat air. It was pretty gnarly and I washed out, my bad. I was hurting so we headed off up the fire road and got to the pub around beer O’clock.

‘sick, dude [fist bump]

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

Saying “Know what I mean” or “Yeah!” at the end of EVERY sentence.

Others :-
    “It’s my understanding”
    “Run it up the flagpole”
    “Green Thumb it”

Who makes these things up?

D0NK

having difficulty getting worked up about the OPs list, session is slightly cringworthy but practice doesn’t exactly cover what you are doing and not to be confused with “training”, swap out i’ll let you off with (not to be confused with Swapouts) “come up small” sounds perfectly reasonable to me especially when applied to maxxis tyres or certain endura clothing. A few from later contributers I’ll agree with.

wrecker
    Free Member

I HATE hearing “can I get?” as in “can I get a coffee?”. GRRR

njee20
    Free Member

Personally I think the most annoying phrase is “gets your goat”, as in the OP’s second post:

C’mon folks, there must be something that really gets your goat?

Just makes you sound like a ****.

Don’t really care about the rest of them, find them amusing if anything.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you know you’re old when you get angry at the phrases kids are using.

bare jokes, standard x

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You know you’re old when you use the phrases kids are using.

philconsequence
    Free Member

kidz, gary… kidz.

el_diablo
    Free Member

enough already!

I’m outta here to session some gnarly stuff,

it’s gonna be sick!

cookeaa

you know you’re old when you get angry at the phrases kids are using.

+1

I often notice a touch of grumpy old man syndrome welling up in me as I hear 14 year olds and IT managers regurgitate the bollocks they’ve read in MBUK/MBR but then I remind myself that none of it actually matters, it’s simply another form of communication/evolution of the language, as with all “evolutions” some will stick and some fall by the wayside.

I doubt anyone here uses the Queens English at all times, in some area or another of your life you are bound to use a bit of jargon, shorthand or abreviation, so why let it bother you so much when people apply it to bikes?

Oh and:

Phat air

Come on… I don’t think anyone has used that particular phrase since about 1994 have they? And even they there was a pretty heavy hint of irony…

jimification
    Free Member

ATM machine.
    GPS system.
    “Pulled the trigger on” (cf: american forums)
    “rocking” (as in “I’m rocking this new speedometer”) However this is perfectly fine and even encouraged if said with a small tincture of irony.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Managing Expectations
    Get with the program

FuzzyWuzzy

People that say destructions instead of instructions as though it’s funny annoy me more than it should :p

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘annoying phrases’ is closed to new replies.