Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Annoying mech jumping problem in watery mud
  • amt27
    Free Member

I keep getting a mech “pulling” problem in watery muddy conditions, the conditions don’t have to be that bad for this to happen.

As I pedal in middle front ring the mech cage rotates anti-clockwise, so the bottom jockey moves forwards, the chain slackens up and drive train either locks up completely or the chain will suddenly pull through.

I thought this was down to friction in the top jockey, but I have installed new sealed jockeys and still get the problem, the chain and rear sprockets are newish.

This has happened on my last 2 bikes (Stumpy FSRs) as well as this one (Epic FSR), other people I ride with don’t have this problem in similar conditions. Any ideas? I saw another guy on an Epic with the same problem at Kielder (i had this problem at Kielder but also in much less severe conditions), so wondering if this is a something like a chainline issue?

stuey
    Free Member

‘Trying to imagine it?

Is it the bottom run of chain that’s ‘slack’ when this happens?
    Have you tried swapping back wheels to make sure its not a freewheel issue?

amt27
    Free Member

Hi Stuey

Yes, ths bottom line goes slack.
    Happens with Hope, DT and Shimano freehubs.

stuey
    Free Member

This ‘feels’ like chainsuck – but swapping chains and rings is a pita. – you could try checking the middle ring and chain for any snags or twists to file or straighten.

mdavids
    Free Member

Have you ever clouted your mech?

I smacked my mech hard enough to break a jockey wheel but managed to get it straight enough to run it without any issues however after recently renewing the cassette, chain and chainring I started to get similar problems to what you’re describing

I eventually bought a new mech and hanger and the problem disappeared so I assume something wasn’t quite straight somewhere.

This is on a 2010 stumpy by the way.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Stiff link?

amt27
    Free Member

solved this problem,

even though my middle ring wasn’t that worn, I bought a Middleburn slickshift middle ring, had a trouble free day at FoD Enduro, happy days

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Annoying mech jumping problem in watery mud’ is closed to new replies.