• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Amazon echo dot
  • richardkennerley

This is a bit specific so bear with me…

I’ve got a Cambridge audio wireless speaker. It’s decent but it’s gone a bit wrong this week. After some network issues, the volume up button no longer works and i’ve lost Bluetooth connectivity.

I’m thinking about getting an echo dot and connecting it via a cable and using that to control the speaker. But if i connect my phone via the cable, i can’t turn it up loud enough as the speaker volume starts too low.

So can anyone with a dot, first tell me if they’re any good (real world reviews) then tell me if I’ll be able to turn it up loud!!?

somafunk

I have an echo dot in the kitchen connected to Aux in on my Tivoli Model 1 radio and it’s very handy for swapping between radio stations, setting timers for cooking, getting news reports, weather updates, playing podcasts and audiobooks etc etc……but if your cambridge audio speaker has lost control over volume the echo will not make it any louder.

richardkennerley

I’ve discovered the speaker works with an ethernet cable connecting it directly to the router. I can then control it via the Cambridge audio app (Bluetooth still doesn’t work)

Does the echo connect to the speaker via the WiFi network? And will it therefore override the button volume controls on the speaker?

somafunk

The echo uses a stereo jack line out so i doubt it would work in your situation

Grim
    Free Member

The echo stereo jack output volume increases as you ask Alexa to turn up the volume. If you can set your speaker to a reasonable starting volume I imagine that you can then adjust the volume with the dot. I terms of use Spotify works well if you have a premium account, just ask Alexa and she’ll play the music you want. (I’m not sure this works without premium). I play mine using this method through an original Zepplin and it sounds pretty good.

Grim

richardkennerley

So it doesn’t or can’t connect via the WiFi?

richardkennerley

I’ve answered that question myself!

If i connect my phone and turn the volume up to max, it’s not loud enough and i cant get it to go any further, so I’m worried the echo dot will be the same. If i could get Bluetooth to work, i think that might be ok.

I just can’t figure out why my speaker has gone t!ts up. I did buy it off eBay to be fair, but it’s worked faultlessly for the past 6 months or so and has now suddenly gone wrong. It’s an otherwise decent piece of kit and I’m reluctant to just write it off!

somafunk

Perhaps get in touch with Cambridge Audio to see if there is a fix for your wireless speaker, they may offer a replacement.

richardkennerley

Found the remote control for the speaker so the volume problem was solved. Picked up a dot today and it works a treat through the aux in. Think it’s a great gadget for £50, we’ll hopefully get nest or hive at some point to take full advantage.

Impressed with radio and podcast access (just happy Adam Buxton’s is on there,) music availability has been ok so far, but I struggled to get Alexa to understand “play King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard!)

DrP

Ask her to play the XX.

Tell us what she does play!

DrP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Amazon echo dot’ is closed to new replies.