Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Am I in danger of writing an 'accessible' song?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Broken Falls by Old Ghosts

Old Ghosts – Broken Falls (work in progress)

well?

MrNutt
    Free Member

clearly not hah!

donsimon
    Free Member

I liked that.

Drac

You sounded like you were getting bored as the song went on.

crikey
    Free Member

To be honest, and this is meant as constructive criticism, cos I couldn’t do anything like that, it struck me that your voice is not carrying it off, it’s a bit too bland.
    Would be interesting to hear it sung by a woman, or by a proper old grizzled Tom Waitsish singer, or you when you’d just got up and had a fag.

Moonhead
    Free Member

I would second Drac, you just don’t sound very interested or passionate in the song.

I listened to others you have uploaded too, kinda got the same impression. I really don’t want to sound rude but I would advocate vocal lessons as it sounds like you have an untrained voice to me. Defo not a bad start though and I can hear potential.

duntstick
    Free Member

You won’t believe this, but the donkey just started braying outside the window here, along with that track. Sounded good together 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

So a donkey on the backing track and 20 Rothmans? It’s easy this music production lark innit?

ton

alex, more depressing than nick cave………… 😉

sobriety
    Free Member

What Drac and Moonhead said, passion. Either full on Tom Waits or sing higher and realy belt it out.

donsimon
    Free Member

So a donkey on the backing track and 20 Rothmans? It’s easy this music production lark innit?

but getting the donkey to smoke the Rothmans and then sing it to the satisfaction of STW. That’s where the real money is.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I know what I’ll do tomorrow, newsagents & then straight down the paddock, I’ll take my lighter, my guitar and tape recorder.

stuey
    Free Member

Do people still use tape recorders ?

stuey
    Free Member

Okay listen to them all now
    “Thisiswhatyourf*ckingworldhasdonetome” is growing on me as is “so what” and “go to sleep”

“So what” sounds almost up beat- I needed a lift thanks
    – music I can skip to –

I’d agree with the above comment about your voice loosing interest in ‘broken fall” – could you sing it in another (higher) key ?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

You played an acoustic number at the original Single Track Southern Festival in my living room. Are you coming to the BBB for an encore?

Woody
    Free Member

it sounds like you have an untrained voice to me

Now that made me proper LOL !

I found it strangely interesting, moving in one or two places and downright painful in most of the others. I’ve listened to it a few times now and it sounds to me like you were either trying far too hard or very stoned.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I liked it. I was almost certainly unjustifiably too happy when I clicked on your link, within no time at all the sound of your voice had brought me down a notch or two, as the stark reality that life isn’t exactly a bundle of laughs dawned on me. So it definitely gets the thumbs up for the reality check it gave me. Also I completely disagree with the suggestion that you sounded “bored” as the song went on, I reckon you sung the song exactly as it should be sung.

MrNutt
    Free Member

certainly not trying to hard 😉

Cheers Ernie, good to see someone realise that not all music is supposed to celebrate the marketed trivial joys of daily life, That said I’m tempted to write a song about young ladies in short skirts and Wellington boots…

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh and Nick, when is it, could be tempted if Rob’s brining more of that lovely ale!

iDave
    Free Member

by ‘accessible’ do you mean that daily mail readers may like it?

i liked it, i don’t read the daily mail.

MrNutt
    Free Member

nah a little less “you have to listen to get it, then you get it, then it sticks” (BBC Introducing)

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

No, it’s not interesting enough to be accessible. The vocal sounds like you really could not be arsed rather than laconic,which is what I’m guessing is what you were going for,and the guitar needs a lot ( really…a lot!) of work on accuracy and timing.

If somebody had brought that to me, even as a rough demo,I’ve heard it about a million times they’d be thrown out of my office about two bars in. My professional opinion…..Sorry………..

guitarhero
    Free Member

tadeuszkrieger, would love your professional opinion on my stuff if you cba (sorry for encroaching on your thread MrNutt)

My tunes

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Barry, all beautifully performed, but from working on your own(guessing here) maybe a little un-focused and lacking in structure,but that’s not necessarily a bad thing,Do you work with a band at all? if not, then it might be worth considering just for the discipline and focus

Those pieces I’ve heard would be far more than adequate quality,in terms of the performance for a music bank or library for film and tv. That any help?

guitarhero
    Free Member

spot on, thanks.

MrNutt
    Free Member

that recording was the first time I’d played it, that was actually the song forming on its own accord, hence its “work in progress” status, its a long way to go before its polished.

oh and tadeuszkrieger, you are Louis Spence and I claim my five pounds.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Sorry, walsh, not spence, i’m not upto speed on these modern “heros”

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh and if you want the more Rothmans/Waits thing, here you go:

http://soundcloud.com/oldghostsband/self-abduction-blues-1

let me know what you think.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sorry, walsh, not spence

I think you were right first time.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

MrNutt, how would you rate the technical side of your playing?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Functional. Shit. I don’t care for it, but I do.

MrNutt
    Free Member

another example, of my shit song writing and dreadful guitar.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ5OoO532fs[/video]

hahahahaha

I don’t care. But I like it if anyone does. (lesson in life #006788)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Functional. Shit. I don’t care for it, but I do.

Then might I suggest that you practice more? You clearly have a deep interest in what you’re trying to do, but the technical side of your performance lets you down, in my opinion. A good player (timing, intonation) playing lazy and loose sounds beautiful (Drake, Martyn, Cash); a not-so-good player playing lazy and loose just sounds sloppy and half-arsed. It takes fair amount of skill to have the rattles and hums embellish the melody; otherwise it just sounds like you can’t grip the strings tight enough or get to the next chord/fret in time.

As far as accessibility goes: it’s not exactly experimental jazz; is it? I like the song and I think it has potential; but you need to play it better; spend more time with it…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good Lord Above. 😯

Mind you, look on the bright side; at least I now know what gets rid of the local asbo yutes from outside my block. 😀

And the cats, and rats, and flies, and cockroaches, mould, woodworm, dry rot….

MrNutt
    Free Member

Glad to be of service.

Self taught, never had so much as a lesson in my life, perhaps I’ll give it a go, still I’m kinda fond of the noise, there are dangers of electric.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Self taught, never had so much as a lesson in my life, perhaps I’ll give it a go…

I didn’t say get lessons; I said practice more.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ll try and find the time

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Am I in danger of writing an 'accessible' song?’ is closed to new replies.